My first client??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandi

Reaction score
Well I have just had a very interesting conversation!

I got a phone call from my bank, as I have been banking with them for just over a year now and how was I finding the service etc. I said all was fine...had a nice chat about my account usage etc and then I asked about setting up a business account. I was told a little info and the nice lady askd if I wanted the business advisor to give me a call...I said no as I was not too sure of my needs/requirements and the lady dais that the advisor would be able to help me..no obligation etc so I said sure, i'll have a chat then.

So the Lady asked me what I was thinking of doing, just to give a brief background to the business advisor. I said I'm going to be a Nail Tech working from home on a part time basis initially so would have a low use account.

Well the ladies phone manner changed from polite customer service to all girly and excited and she said to me " I would be very interested in that!"

Well I almost fell off my chair! We had a chat about nails and what service I would be offering, and said I would even give her some special offers!

So with out soliciting (sp?) I have just gained a client!

When people actually see my work I think that will be a great advertisement too! :D

well thats just great news Mandi, I`ll have to try that one myself. Did you open a business account by the way, I haven`t done that yet and I do need too. Not sure about it though, need to look into it a bit more first

Well Mandi,
the same thing happened here. When I opened up my first concession in the city, I went to the bank a few door down from the shop. I was a newbie to all the business stuff, and I thought lets get some info.
Those where the days when banks still had a proper Bank Managers.
I asked them about banking and so on, would I be better off having a business account or could I carry on trading with my current account aso.
she called the Manager out and he went through loads of options with me.
He asked me a few questions about my business, the said oh great the girls in here will be pleased lol.
I left the bank with a business account all set up,2 years free banking, a credit card in the post, so I could get supplies over the phone and a good luck wish.
The next day I had loads of enquiries about the nails lol all from the girls in the bank. Needless to say most of them became my clients and one girl specially a good friend. The Manager became a great source of information and I even got an invite to his leaving drinks. Very nice it was too................
As to todays business banking, there are loads of options and most will offer you a great deal on free banking for a set period of time, but everything is negotiable even interest rates.
So you probably will get some great business from the girls in the banks.

Even when you have a low usage account, as you put it, I would still go for a business account.
It says you mean business, easy to keep track of what goes in and out.
Easy for your accounts, keep all your receipts, all your paying in stubs and all your cheque stubs. that way you can then calculate your tax and NI. When you get really busy you don't have to worry about all that paperwork stuff, as they say...............Start as you mean to go on..........

Best of british and happy filing
love Ruth xxxx

Thanks for the tips Ruth! From what I've read on this board you seem to have a very solid business and are pleased to offer the wealth of your experience to all us newbies...thanks heaps!

My husband spoke to our accountant about my nail business. I was wondering if it would have been easier to incorporate it into the (non nail related) company we are currently setting up. Our accountant said no, as it would be no benefit and if I set myself up as a sole trader it would be easier to keep track of accounts etc.

My bank (HSBC) have been extremely helpful. I got a call from the business advisor (another potential client!!) who has sent me out some good info.

I've also realised that when I am set up as a business the cost of my training will be deductable, so I get to pay for it pre tax!! can't wait till I can get the time to do all those great courses I want to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back