My first complaint..what would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iconic

Reaction score
Hi geeks, please help! .. I've had my first semi-complaint!! .. I had a spanish client last week who wanted to go blonder.. She had about 3inches regrowth of previous frown out highlights. She wanted to look blonder but not an all over colour and still wanted to see some Natural colour so I suggested doing 1 highlift, 1 bleach and 1 of her natural base to blend the regrowth through to the ends. I put soo many foils through her hair-her hair is half way down her back and she has lots of it. I spent a lot of time ensuring that I put back to back foils to ensure that it looked overall lighter but I said to her that she would need to have a couple of full head highlights to make her look as blonde as some of the pics she was showing me as it is a gradual process.
When I had finished, she seemed happy and said that it was almost as light as she wants it anyway! I agreed and said that next time, I think a t-section would be sufficient to get it looking that much lighter again.. She left and said that it was much lighter than when she came in and seemed happy and said she would be back not only for me to colour again, but to restyle aswell.

Today, she has contacted my beautician (self employed beautician) on her Facebook page saying that she is not happy with the colour and that she feels it is darker than when she originally came in and she feels I should do another half head highlights for her to make her blonder and that she does not have the money to pay again. And please could I let her know when I can do it for her so she can get the time off of work. My beautician replied saying that her Facebook page is purely for her beauty business and should she wish to contact me regarding her hair then please contact the salon. She hasn't as yet, but what would you do? Would you colour again for free? Or would you say that she must pay should she want more highlights as I had originally explained that It is a gradual process?

Please help!! xx

Hi personally I wouldn't do it again for free, it sounds as though she was happy when she left the salon, and as you explained it is a gradual process to make her lighter. Maybe ask her to come in an you can look at it an reassure her that it will get lighter over time after her next couple of sets of highlights but if she's insistent on having more right away then I'd do them but still charge as you haven't done anything wrong :)

Sounds like she is trying it on with you because you said it would take some more highlights to make it blonder. you told her up front that it would be a gradual process so dont feel obliged to do it for free! I would be annoyed that she didn't contact you direct so definitely don't do anything unless she contacts you direct. Sounds like you did the right thing to get rid of the regrowth. Grown out highlights can be a pain on darkish hair to fully get rid of the regrowth and you did exactly the right thing to achieve the best results. She obviously hasn't got the guts to speak to you direct so doubtful she will contact you. Dont worry, there is always one who complains!:)

Many thanks for your replies :)
And thank you for the reassurance that I have done nothing wrong and therefore should not honour or free. I think I shall stick to my guns with this one. Yes, I was quite annoyed that she didn't contact me direct. The fact that she told me she cannot afford to pay out for more highlights at the moment kind of backs up the fact she is just trying to pull a fast one.. She knew she would need more than one lot of highlights for the desired result as I told her that from the start! Grrrr why do these people have to knock our confidence :( x

Do YOU think it was darker than when she origionally came in? In your proffessional opinion, did you do what she asked you to?
If you havent done anything wrong, dont do it again for free. If you feel it was darker, then maybe offer to put a few more foils through the top to brighten it up but no more.
You have to trust your own proffesional opinion and stick to your guns
xxxxx

Yes, if your anything like me, you just want your clients to be happy and it's a horrible feeling when someone complains. I too have only ever had one complaint but the client is never happy whatever and whoever does it. You always get one! just put it down to experience! Don't let it knock your confidence, you did your best! :D

Do YOU think it was darker than when she origionally came in? In your proffessional opinion, did you do what she asked you to?
If you havent done anything wrong, dont do it again for free. If you feel it was darker, then maybe offer to put a few more foils through the top to brighten it up but no more.
You have to trust your own proffesional opinion and stick to your guns
xxxxx

No, I don't think it was darker than when she came in. It was definitely lighter and she even said that herself when she left, and that it was almost at the stage she wanted anyway after just one full head of highlights. Yes, I did exactly as she asked and advised her at the beginning that it would be a gradual process that would more than likely need a few full head highlights as opposed to just one. As it happens though, when I had finished, she said that it was almost at her desired outcome as it was and she doesn't think she would need another full head.. Just a t-section next time perhaps! ..
Grr it really bugs me when people try to get something for nothing when I thought I did a great job as well :( xx

Always go with your gut instinct as a stylist.
If you know in your mind you explained in detail to your client what would happen and as a professional you are happy with your result then stick with your gut instinct and don't back down.
It never fails me =) x

Stand up for yourself and tell her this. People will only take advantage if you let them, chick
xxxxx

Thank you soo much for your replies :) I shall stick to my gut instinct and not offer more highlights for free.. I know I did nothing wrong and therefore will not be taken advantage of :) thank you for the reassurance :) xx

:lol:I hope you dont get too many probs with this client hun,just stick with the instinct!!

hmm sounds like she didnt have the guts to say it to your face. If you honestly believe it doesnt need to be done then advise her. I would also strongly advise aftercare, as shes proberly hasnt washed it with correct shampoo and conditioners that may have dulled the hair giving maybe a darker duller affect-thinking its a bit darker. So maybe give her some so silver shampoo to brighten the blonde iygwim and it subdueds an brassyness to an extent. Hopefully it'll tie her over a bit longer if she hasnt got the money for a full head of highlights. hths xoxo

:lol:I hope you dont get too many probs with this client hun,just stick with the instinct!!

Thanks.. I hope so too! She hasn't written back to my beautician, nor has she been in to see me, or call the salon as directed! Xx

hmm sounds like she didnt have the guts to say it to your face. If you honestly believe it doesnt need to be done then advise her. I would also strongly advise aftercare, as shes proberly hasnt washed it with correct shampoo and conditioners that may have dulled the hair giving maybe a darker duller affect-thinking its a bit darker. So maybe give her some so silver shampoo to brighten the blonde iygwim and it subdueds an brassyness to an extent. Hopefully it'll tie her over a bit longer if she hasnt got the money for a full head of highlights. hths xoxo

Yes, that's a good idea, Perhaps if she comes in, I'll give her some silver shampoo :) .. I just really begrudge performing treatments for free when I know I am not at fault! .. I would hate the thought of her walking out thinking 'ha, knew I'd get it for free!!' grrr xx

Latest posts

Back