My first dealing with misinformed people...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailnewbie32

Reaction score
I had a total eye opener (for me personally) of a conversation with my friend today. She dropped in for a chat and a cuppa today an she was asking me how I was getting on since passing my exams etc

I was showing her some of the nail designs I was working on and the conversation got around to Shellac and me being very excited at eventually being able to purchase it hopefully in the new year. She turned around and said ' ah sure you have all the stuff there' I was totally confused as I don't have a single CND product in my possession so it wasn't a bottle/logo that had made her think that!

It turns out her mum gets a 'Shellac' every two weeks, which apparently 'just polish and a clear gel *overcoat* '

I nearly fell off the chair! I told her to the best of my abilities why that was not true.

Then she was asking me to do a pedicure/polish for a wedding she was going to I said yeah no probs, asked what her dress/shoes were like and the asked if I could do Rockstar toes on her ( partly practice, partly cos I think they just look fab!) and said because I had offered the upgrade she could have it at just normal pedicure price ( yup I'm gettin cheeky and brave :) )

When I explained what they were she got very annoyed and said no way! After a few questions from me she said gel hurts to much. Apparently the first and last time she had Gel nails done it hurt too much, both prep and curing. My heart sank.

The only good thing that came from today was me suprising myself at how much I really do appreciate proper techniques/products/techs and the fact I felt an unbelievable urge to defend the industry!

So before I get told to 'blog it' :lick:

How do you deal with situations like this? When someone is being duped and misinformed and without knowing it quite possibly tarring all beauty pros/ techs with the same brush

Sorry this is probably old hat to a lot of you but it's new to me :)

I had a total eye opener (for me personally) of a conversation with my friend today. She dropped in for a chat and a cuppa today an she was asking me how I was getting on since passing my exams etc

I was showing her some of the nail designs I was working on and the conversation got around to Shellac and me being very excited at eventually being able to purchase it hopefully in the new year. She turned around and said ' ah sure you have all the stuff there' I was totally confused as I don't have a single CND product in my possession so it wasn't a bottle/logo that had made her think that!

It turns out her mum gets a 'Shellac' every two weeks, which apparently 'just polish and a clear gel *overcoat* '

I nearly fell off the chair! I told her to the best of my abilities why that was not true.

Then she was asking me to do a pedicure/polish for a wedding she was going to I said yeah no probs, asked what her dress/shoes were like and the asked if I could do Rockstar toes on her ( partly practice, partly cos I think they just look fab!) and said because I had offered the upgrade she could have it at just normal pedicure price ( yup I'm gettin cheeky and brave :) )

When I explained what they were she got very annoyed and said no way! After a few questions from me she said gel hurts to much. Apparently the first and last time she had Gel nails done it hurt too much, both prep and curing. My heart sank.

The only good thing that came from today was me suprising myself at how much I really do appreciate proper techniques/products/techs and the fact I felt an unbelievable urge to defend the industry!

So before I get told to 'blog it' :lick:

How do you deal with situations like this? When someone is being duped and misinformed and without knowing it quite possibly tarring all beauty pros/ techs with the same brush

Sorry this is probably old hat to a lot of you but it's new to me :)

It depends... i found myself explaining to a neighbour that her 12 year old sister should be more careful doing "fake nails"(as she put it herself) to others. Apparently she has clients already(?!). I couldnt work out what type of nails she was talking about (i think she was talking about some kit she got off argos or something but then it could have been anything, really, as she wears stick on nails a lot). I wanted to go on about different things that could happen, etc, but then i decided to just simply say that the girl should be extremely careful as she could cause a lot of damage to peoples nails. Its fine to practice on yourself, but not on strangers. I mean i had my friends paint my nails and i did make up to them at 16, without thinking - weve all been there :) although, as an adult i probably wouldnt use my 12 yo sister / brother as my beauty / nail tech

The reason i didnt get into too much debate was because sometimes you meet people that dont even listen to what you are trying to say. She is one of them.

I did some work on her (simple eyebrow shape), and she was surprized that i am actually sanitizing my hands before i touch her, i wear gloves, i sanitize instruments, i use spirit... as her "mobile beauty therapist" friend proceeds to do facial wax just after having a smoke. Imagine that

Suppose, talking doesnt do much, does it? Well, not as much as the actions :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

You do exactly what you did, Newbie, the best you can to inform them correctly. You've been on this site long enough to see all the incorrect information that unscrupulous nail techs are feeding clients. That's why a lot of us came to this site, the search for what's real and true. We came searching for a way to repair the work of these techs that make the rest of look bad. To stop common wide spread misconceptions like "Acrylics ruined my nails."

You keep doing what you're doing, Newbie. Spread the CORRECT information. It'll sink in eventually and clients worth keeping will come back to you because you know what you're talking about.

Preach it, sister!

It depends... i found myself explaining to a neighbour that her 12 year old sister should be more careful doing "fake nails"(as she put it herself) to others. Apparently she has clients already(?!). I couldnt work out what type of nails she was talking about (i think she was talking about some kit she got off argos or something but then it could have been anything, really, as she wears stick on nails a lot). I wanted to go on about different things that could happen, etc, but then i decided to just simply say that the girl should be extremely careful as she could cause a lot of damage to peoples nails. Its fine to practice on yourself, but not on strangers. I mean i had my friends paint my nails and i did make up to them at 16, without thinking - weve all been there :) although, as an adult i probably wouldnt use my 12 yo sister / brother as my beauty / nail tech

The reason i didnt get into too much debate was because sometimes you meet people that dont even listen to what you are trying to say. She is one of them.

I did some work on her (simple eyebrow shape), and she was surprized that i am actually sanitizing my hands before i touch her, i wear gloves, i sanitize instruments, i use spirit... as her "mobile beauty therapist" friend proceeds to do facial wax just after having a smoke. Imagine that

Suppose, talking doesnt do much, does it? Well, not as much as the actions :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Oooh I have a 13 yr old neighbour who does 'nails' with a cheeky mother who asked me to train her LOL

I've had the same with my sis, I was doing a pedicure on her and I sanitised her feet/my hands/tools and she was shocked because her nail tech hasn't done that in the 3 years she has been going to her!

You do exactly what you did, Newbie, the best you can to inform them correctly. You've been on this site long enough to see all the incorrect information that unscrupulous nail techs are feeding clients. That's why a lot of us came to this site, the search for what's real and true. We came searching for a way to repair the work of these techs that make the rest of look bad. To stop common wide spread misconceptions like "Acrylics ruined my nails."

You keep doing what you're doing, Newbie. Spread the CORRECT information. It'll sink in eventually and clients worth keeping will come back to you because you know what you're talking about.

Preach it, sister!

I really hope that is true, I've read threads here and sighed and gulped, but it's the first time I've been face to face with it!

I guess the good ones of us care enough that rubbish like this upsets/annoys us.

Preach it, sister!

I so agree! I think part of our job (besides doing FABBY nails) is continuing education: ours and our clients! :)

I so agree! I think part of our job (besides doing FABBY nails) is continuing education: ours and our clients! :)

Yep, couldn't agree more:)

Knowledge is power (oops, sorry...correct knowledge is power) and if we all do our little bit to educate ourselves and our lead astray clients that come to us, then in some little way, we are all doing our bit for our beloved industry I reckon.

And I agree with gr8nailz too........Preach it sister and don't stop!!!!

To be fair, the word shellac has been around a lot longer than CND has and they don't own it, so it's possible that she really did have her nails shellacked rather than done with CND Shellac. Not terribly likely though as it is normally used for varnishing wood :lick:

i'm still a newbie and i've loads of odd things said including a client who'd bought a colour gel polish and uv lamp off ebay and asked me to pop round and show her how to use it - she'd been told it was the same as shellac

i've also had clients who think cnd has gone bust so all the products are fake, cuticle remover is bad for the nails, pedicures cause atheletes foot you name it.

all i do is politely correct them and carry on. if they choose to listen they will do, if they don't, hey thats up to them

( yup I'm gettin cheeky and brave )

Luv it!!! You go girl!!

A neighbour of has asked me to do her nails, a set of acrylics> I am doing at a reduced rate anyway as I have just started out. She also asked me to do her mums manicure or do the massage and apply the creams and she does the rest so she doesn't have to pay me lol. I laughed and told her how much I was going to charge them both and was straight to the point. I know she is skint but if they can sit all day smoking there heads off the can afford to pay me proper price.
Jo.xx

Don't they just make you want to :grr: I think it was Vhunter who said when faced with a client who went on about nails needing to breath she put a plastic bag over her hands and said, look, I can't see the nail lungs sucking the bag in and out:D

Sometimes I try, but I've found most of the time it falls on deaf ears. Family are the worst.
When Shellac first came out I asked my bro to tell my sil I'd be round with a polish that wouldn't chip, it would knock her socks of.
He then told me there was no such thing, I tried, I really did, to explain that he couldn't know anything about this product, I'd only just got my hands on it at a nail education weekend.........
Finally my famous temper snapped and I said, What ever Al, of course you know more then me, I've only been highly trained in this industry for the last few years. I'm sure I know just as much about engines as you, after all I've been handing you 'that efing spanner' most of my life:irked:
My sil loved her Shellac sings it's praises high and tells everyone she meets about the day I shut her hubby up:):o
But if we want to keep customers, we can't screech like harpies at them..... shame really.

Latest posts

Back