...my first manicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klara

Reaction score
I have done my first manicure to a friend. I think it was a complete disaster :cry:
I managed to finish her in 2 1/2 hours :eek:

She hadn't done any manicure for about 3 months and I struggled with the cuticles.
It took me so long to clear the nail...but the worst for me was with filing and
polishing (french manicure) :Scared:.

Her nails had no particular shape, others were square and others oval and the
length varied. I tried to file all the nails to be of equal length and shape,
but two of her nails were completely broken and were really short and square.
I didn't want to file all the nails that short, so I did my best with these
two to make them square with oval edges (I hope this makes sense) as I have
done with the other nails. But they were shorter than the others...Should
I have used tips? :rolleyes: She wanted natural nails so I didn't came to me at that time.

It took me ages to file these nails. I did them with a new Kanga board (240 grit)
and they were so thick...She told me that she had weak nails because she can't let them grow long, they broke...It doesn't make sense...:confused:

Then the polish...:grr: I tried to convince her that I wasn't good enough with
the french manicure but she insisted...Oh it was nightmare...:cry:

Today I read everything in the forum concering how to apply french polish and
it really helped me.Thank you so much for all the advices you give :Love:
I tried on my nails but since I don't want to spoil my new gel brush, I tried to do the smile line with a cheap brush for painting and scrubfresh, but it didn't work well..
Should I buy another gel brush? They are really expensive..and here french
manicure is so popular..I must master it otherwise I am no good..

Back to my friend..I tried to make it up for the long hours and I gave her
a good massage with the manicure (I use the spa manicure from Creative)..
I could see that she was not happy with the polish (neither was I) and
the time it took me to finish...she told that I have a looong way to go..
(which I know)
I feel so dump..and devasted...:cry:
Sorry for this long thread but I just wanted to share with you my first
experience in manicure....

Hi there!

Im sorry to hear you had such a difficult time with your manicure:hug:. Did you use cuticle remover before pushing back the cuticles? I wouldnt worry about the different lengths if she didnt want tips on, you can't magic them all the same length! I was pretty crap at painting my whites for my french but now I use nailfresh or nail polish remover with a small nail art brush to tidy up my smiles. These brushes are not expensive and saves your good gel brush. Practice your french on some tips and on yourself and with time it will get better. I used to dread doing it but now I quite enjoy it.

Go over your procedure for manicure in your head again and try and see where you are spending too much time, don't try and remove so much overgrown cuticle in one go, maybe she needs a few manicures before it will make a difference!

God I have waffled but I used to have the same problem and just wanted to help!

Don't beat yourself up about it! It will all come in time with practice!
I have just completed my VTCT in Mani's & Pedi's and really gave myself a hard time over french polishing - I was stressing myself out over it!!!

Best thing to do is keep calm and keep practicing! If you have any - I found that by practicing on my nail trainer on the nails you click in! I found by doing about 20 in a row, I could start to see an improvement! I kept at it and it did come in time!

If she is a mate of yours then maybe your timing was more due to nattering than you being slow?! I find that with my mates I take longer than I would normally with just polite banter!! Bear this in mind and don't stress!!!

HTH

Aww bless ya,try not to worry i think everyone would have struggled with french some time or another i know i do.we will get there hopefully in the end,like.good advice from marian and kellys right about taking longer with mates as i do the same lol xx

Hi just wanted to say don't give up & beat yourself up over it. You'll get there, you just need confidence in yourself, we all started somewhere & to be honest I think it was unfair of your friend to push you to do french & then moaned & put you down about how long it took & the quality. Shame you didn't take any pics?

But as mentioned you always seem to take longer with friends nails, well I do, lol!! Can't shut us up!! You'll also find the more you stress about it all, the more you'll fiddle & redo, so if you feel your doing this take a breath & take a couple of mins to access what needs to be done!! A good tip for doing French polish is to make sure you use a sweeping motion, try not to keep going over the same area & if the smile line isn't quite as you want it on natural nails only you could go round the smile line with a cotton bud & some nail varnish remover!! You'll get there, honest & once mastered you look back & think why was I stressing, lol!! :hug:

Also make sure you soak the cuticles in warm water as this will also help to soften them, so that they can be removed easier. You can always leave them soaking for a couple more minutes on & off if they are a bit stubborn while you alternate hands!! :)

Your friend doesn't sound very supportive does she?

Being a good model should also be about love and support and encouragement, not pulling you to pieces.

Choose your friends wisely when offering any nail service for free.

The first time is always the worst and once you learn the routine so that you do not have to think about it, things will be easier for you. Just like anything else.

Even what most people consider a simple manicure can seem daunting at first. Take your time and learn from your experience . That is what experience is for and you cannot rush it! :hug:

Learning any treatment takes time and patience. After a while it becomes second nature and a routine is drummed into your mind but at first it will always take a bit longer mate.
Keep perservering and practice on as many people as you can.
Have you got a nail trainer? These are really handy when you are learning x

Have faith, we all have been there at one time or another.

Good advice, choose a model that knows -
A- You deciede what is done
B- How it is done
C- How it leaves your work station.
Reward them accordingly as you have with a lovely massage to finish off. Well done.

I have a wonderful [pain in da butt] friend that has completed nails waxing tinting course's.
I like to play/practice on her & she loves to let me BUT for the love of god I can't tell you how many times I've had to put my foot down and tell her that its all what I want to do & just let me do it:rolleyes: ... We're still good mates & I've explained that we are training buddies.

Some extra tips to lift the end result.

A- Use just a little less product..... CND goes along way.
B- To achieve a natural even length & shape.
Choose the second shortest nail length, a starting point suggestion only.
Shorten the longer nail/s to match. File, clip/cut at your discretion
Shape and file to an even appearance.
Cleanse & prep nailplate for base treatments & enamel application.
C- Practise practise practise enamel application on tips/toes & anyone who will let you.
9 times out of ten apart from a great massage the length of time value or the look of the enamel application is what's seen & remembered first.

Chin up

XX J XX

It was your first time so dont be down next time I sugest deciding which type of manicure you will do. Often when students come out of college they do the full manicure including 30 min arm massage on their client. I recommend breaking it down. get a couple of people for a mini mani - file, soak, cuticle work buff and polish. then when you have this mastered include scrubs, massage and mask's.
Definetly invest in another brush - it's worth it (there are many places to get a cheaper gel brush)

Thank you sooo much for your support and advice !! :hug: I feel much better. :Love:
I did a manicure for another friend of mine today. She was so different. Her nails were in good condition and there were not many cuticles (I always use the cuticle remover). It took me much less time.
She was really supportive and told not to worry, she is here for me to do as many manis and polishes as I like. Since she was in a hurry to go out I skipped the spa treatment and I used the Fiesta polish (a lush orange shade) that suited her since she is brunette and tanned. She really liked it. The only thing was that I went up the eponychium in some nails and tried to clean them afterwards but some polish remained slightly.
I have read the tutorial about precision polishing and it really helped me out with this polish :Love:. I need practice though to not touch the edges.
I have a nail trainer and I will use it for enamels. I haven't thought of it since at school we used it for acrylics and gels and we applied polish to each other.
Thank you for your tips, I will have in mind for my next manicures.
You really boosted my confidence. I feel a lot better !!

Latest posts

Back