My first nail disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cirrus666

Reaction score
Hello all,

I feel I need to come on here as I just had my first major nail disaster. I'm new to the industry and have completed my level 2 plus I've done an add on course in gel nails. I use shellac which has been fab up until tonight. This lady was lovely don't get me wrong (she is my hairdresser) however I did invite her over to practice doing the new holographic nails (for free) as I have not done them before. So she had acrylics on and I had a go at getting the off. They had been on for around a year so it took almost an hour to remove them as best as I could and the nail plates were still rather bumpy underneath. I though I may be here all night if I don't start painting soon. So I applied the base coat then 2 layers of colour and for some reason the polish was just dragging off, only to realise 4 of my lamp bulbs were not working (only 1 worked) :(. I then dug out my back up lamp and off we were again, trying to salvage some of my work. However I also nipped her finger and drew a little bit of blood with the nail clippers. (Again she was lovely and didn't seem phased). I just feel awful and really down about the whole thing. I'm just starting out and feel disheartened this evening. I've ordered a new lamp and hope this doesn't happen again. Is it ok to say that you don't do acrylic removal? As I think it takes me so long. Thanks for reading guys xxx

That's a situation that would stress out even experienced nail tech!
Things to take away from this are:

- if you are going to remove other people's work then charge for your time
- don't promise to apply gel on a post acrylic client. They may need to have a few weeks using something like RescueX to repair damage
-only use chrome on really smooth nails

Well done for realising your light wasn't working and swapping it.

Hairdressers are notoriously bad for keeping Shellac on as their hands are constantly in hot water and detergent so don't despair if she looses them in a week or so. Offer her a soak off and then advise on a plan to get her nails back to a strong state.

If the lady wants to have another shellac then get the nails as smooth as you safely can before applying the gel. A full coverage of glitter is very forgiving to hide flaws - try this on her.

Hi CFBS many thanks for your advice I will take it on board! Ill look into Rescue X as well as that sounds like it may help in future.

Feeling a bit better this morning about it but last night I was really upset over it all.

Thanks again xxxx

Register with louella belle & buy yourself some IBX, it's brilliant for repairing nails.

My mother in laws nails have been seperating at the free edge after exposure to meths, I did two layers of repair and one of strengthening and it's stuck them back together.

Register with louella belle & buy yourself some IBX, it's brilliant for repairing nails.

My mother in laws nails have been seperating at the free edge after exposure to meths, I did two layers of repair and one of strengthening and it's stuck them back together.

Hi Fluffycloudland,

Thanks, I was reading about IBX also last night and it does look good, Ill have a look now at louella belle now. Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it xx

That's a situation that would stress out even experienced nail tech!
Things to take away from this are:

- if you are going to remove other people's work then charge for your time
- don't promise to apply gel on a post acrylic client. They may need to have a few weeks using something like RescueX to repair damage
-only use chrome on really smooth nails

Well done for realising your light wasn't working and swapping it.

Hairdressers are notoriously bad for keeping Shellac on as their hands are constantly in hot water and detergent so don't despair if she looses them in a week or so. Offer her a soak off and then advise on a plan to get her nails back to a strong state.

If the lady wants to have another shellac then get the nails as smooth as you safely can before applying the gel. A full coverage of glitter is very forgiving to hide flaws - try this on her.

Great advice but Shellac is not a gel though.

Hi there, gosh you sound like you went through it last night. Don't get disheartened, I had a mere a couple of week back and it really knocked me. Just brush yourself down and keep going. You need to make mistakes to learn! Sometime acrylic (depending who and where applies it) can be so stubborn to remove. Try find out where people get their nails done first then you'll know if it's something you can removed and how long it should take you to factor this in. Keep going and put it down to experience xx

Thanks Kirsty xx

I must have stayed up till 1am last night watching youtube videos on acrylic removal. I have decided though just to politely decline doing it from now on as its not something I'm comfortable doing. I think I should stick to what I know, and always check my lamp works before a client arrives ;) We don't half beat ourselves up about things don't we! xx

I think even when we know we have done a good set we would still find flaws, I am my worse critic and I really beat myself up over things especially nails as I'm a perfectionist and I'm so passionate about getting them perfect.

I would say definatley stay within your comfort zones until you master things but without practice you'll never know any different or learn either. Do you do acrylics? Take things in your stride and eventually your skin will get thicker to most things but there is nothing wrong with picking at your work it makes perfect xx

I think even when we know we have done a good set we would still find flaws, I am my worse critic and I really beat myself up over things especially nails as I'm a perfectionist and I'm so passionate about getting them perfect.

I would say definatley stay within your comfort zones until you master things but without practice you'll never know any different or learn either. Do you do acrylics? Take things in your stride and eventually your skin will get thicker to most things but there is nothing wrong with picking at your work it makes perfect xx

Hi Kirsty,

Hoping my skin gets thicker lol! I was a quivering wreck last night!! I don't do acrylics so don't truly understand them, I thought I was just helping out but underestimated how hard it is to get them off. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist (Virgo) which makes it worse. Thanks again for your advice xxxx

Latest posts

Back