My First Self Assessment Tax Return - Please please help me.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrogers

Reaction score
Hi Geeks.

Slightly freaking out i'm afraid just seen the classic "taxing doesnt have to be taxing" advert and i'm already crying lol
I really dont know where to start. I registered my self as self employed last april. I have just tried attacking the form online and its asking for a "Unique Taxpayers Reference" but because I have never done anything like this before I dont have one! I just need help!!

Isn't that the number you where given when you first registered your business..?

Give your local tax office a ring and get yourself on one of their free courses. I went on one a couple of months back, not the most fun I've ever had, but absolutely essential! They go over the whole self assesment both on paper and online.

By the time it comes for me to do it, I will probably forgot a lot of what I learned, but that's not a problem as you can go on as many of these courses as you like. But having been on the course, I know all my paperwork is being kept in an order that will make filling it out as easy as possible cos I know how my various income/ expenditure needs to be grouped.

Everyone is terrified of the tax man but honestly when you ring for help or something you do not understand they are so helpful and pleasant.If you have only just registered def get yourself on their free courses.
If you just have a small business on your own and dont work at anything else things are fairly straightforward and easy online i dont have an accountant and never had any probs.

I just get my accountant to do it she charges me around £250 per year but to me it's a very small price to pay for a massive weight taken off my mind and I really don't have the time with 3 kids a house to run and working a lot of hours.

That number should be on the paper tax assessment form that you should have been sent a few months ago in the post. Contact your local tax office for advise :hug:

Your unique taxpayers reference is given to you when you first register for doing self assessment on line. If you aren't registered for doing it on line you probably won't have one.

As others have suggested, give the tax office a call and have a chat. They are usually very helpful nowadays!

Hiya, Im doing mine and the number i had from last time didnt work, So i rang them, and they said coz of all that imfo going missing the back end of last year, they have changed the numbers for security, and anyone who contacts them regarding this number, will be sent another one out in the post.
Hope this helps
CAZ X

i done mine for the first time this year as my accountant has just had a baby.
it was a lot easier than i thought. they sent me my tax payers reference and
an id code, so as i could do it on line, they are really helpful when you ring them.

Latest posts

Back