My first set of gel nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well music and art is free in my mind a free time to express yourself so you can come along by all means it'l be a rave im sure love! :green:

but lets not talk about out doing each other lets get back on topic of this thread.

:hug:

Please do as Judy 1999,and many others have said,and invest in the training...as to some comments on here...i am deeply mortified and very offended as to what has been said...:irked:....and i a do not class myself as as a properly trained nail technician as i feel i am only starting to learn myself....

I would not dream of posting any form of enhancement,unless i was trained through tthe right channells....and one or two of you may well say...come on why get offended...well because,it just once agian,downgrades the qualified nail technicians worth....and i DESPISE THAT:!:

We should be raising the bar for beauty and nails:hug:

well music and art is free in my mind a free time to express yourself so you can come along by all means it'l be a rave im sure love! :green:

but lets not talk about out doing each other lets get back on topic of this thread.

:hug:

free maybe.. but you should see how much i just spent on foo fighters tickets!!
my point is this.. i refuse to even look.. no im not envious.. i myself am still learning.. and that is something i take very seriously..
so far i have spent countless amounts on training and still feel like a novice.. so i cant comment on anyone eelses work, apartfrom saying the obvious, but when i do have something to say it is usually about training.. cause i understand the importance of it.

I think you've just potentially offended every single professional nail technician who is a member of this site.

:eek:

oh indeed, i actually reposted after i thought about what id put, because as Judy said, she does show flair (and artistic talent) for it, no one has critisized(sp) her work infact exactly the oppposite, we have said she should get training because it looks like she would be good at it

what everyone is trying to say is, that the chemicals involved and understanding the diseases and damage etc that can go hand in hand with this career is immense and this is the danger she has if she carrys on 'doing nails' on herself ior anyone else without training,

i am shocked that you would compare being a musician to being a nail technician, as you cannot cause damage to someone by picking up a guitar or a flute if you've had no lessons (well you might hurt your ears lol) but you see were we are coming from, the fact that you dont seem to think she's causing any harm , speaks volumes, she could have severly damaged her nails or had overexposure to the product she used, does she know how to rmeove them safely without causing damage etc, all we want is for her to be safe, if she is serious she will accept the advice and go get some training, if not she will hopefully leave well alone and pay the professional to do the job in future

i do not think she would be offended by what anyone has put, i think it comes across that everyone is just worried and wants t help her make the right choices

hths

Your nail art is lovely so well done!

I think the point that everybody is trying to make is that as professionals we have learned with experience and have seen on here many, many times what damage can be done to peoples nails (even nails they have done the nails themselves) if they aren't in complete control of the products they are using and how they are being used.

Your training doesn't just give you artistic skills but the chemical science behind the whole lot.

Please dont be offended.

This thread (posted yesterday) http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/64737-careful.html shows exactly why as a Nail Tech we need to understand what we are working with, what's in it and what it's purpose is. Have a read and a think.

My tuppence on the art vs professionalism topis - creating beautiful, well structured, long-lasting nails is a skill and to learn that skill you need training. Speaking personally I am not artistic (can't draw/paint, don't play an instrument) but I'm a full time Tech with a book of clients that return...... The original poster has talent but training can harness and perfect that.

I can cook (pretty darn well actually) but could never be a chef without training and coaching......

Last edited:
The enhancements themselves I feel I have no need to comment .... nor advise ... BUT..... I think you broke rule Number 1 : Preservation of the natural nail ...

Your natural nails were lovely and you cut your free edges off:eek:

With a bit of pampering, you could have had near perfect "Natural Nails".

I guess some people do like to sacrifice.

If someone like you walked into my salon, I would have advised them to have manicures and a little patience, but I guess thats the difference between being experienced or not.

You will get some flack ....... thats because most peeps on here appreciate not only artistic talent, but dedication to professional training, obviously you have an interest and have been lurking and weaning information for a while, now put it to good use and get yourself some qualifications.

We all had to start somewhere.

Would be great to see your future posts and profile with a bit of professional clout (then you go get em girl).

I think you've just potentially offended every single professional nail technician who is a member of this site.

Totally offended!!!!!:mad:

When you have not done the proper training not only are you unaware of the damage you can do to your own nails but also your health, i'm sure you would be alittle more concerned if she came back and said she is now allergic to the products from over exsposure????? and couldn't then go on to do any training!!!!

it is clear that you have a flare for nails and you are artist no doubt about it, but we are professionals, and i for one take it very seriously, as i'm sure all my fellow geeks on here do, so for someone to tell me that i am not in a industry i think....you clearly know nothing about the 'Nail industry' it is one of the fastest going industries around!!!

We are people that run our own business's, teach, work for product companys, work at fashion shows etc etc and we also earn 'yummy cash' aswell.

The enhancements themselves I feel I have no need to comment .... nor advise ... BUT..... I think you broke rule Number 1 : Preservation of the natural nail ...

If someone like you walked into my salon, I would have advised them to have manicures and a little patience, but I guess thats the difference between being experienced or not.

You will get some flack ....... thats because most peeps on here appreciate not only artistic talent, but dedication to professional training, obviously you have an interest and have been lurking and weaning information for a while, now put it to good use and get yourself some qualifications.

Would be great to see your future posts and profile with a bit of professional clout (then you go get em girl).

ok so i looked.. haha.. couldnt help it.. and my only thought was.. what lovely natural nails.. thought the best shot was the first!

I quoted nailzoo because i think there is some valuable advice to you there.

Where did you purchase the products from? Are you wanting to take up nails as a professional?

I purchased them online for use on myself only :) So, do not worry- doing nails on somebody else is not what I want :) It's just my hobby, not a profession. I am a business student ;)

I purchased them online for use on myself only :) So, do not worry- doing nails on somebody else is not what I want :) It's just my hobby, not a profession. I am a business student ;)

Lilliya - look at the thread on the damaged that has happened to somebody with an acid primer. This could have easily happen to you because you have not been trained in how to use it properly and the dangers that go with it.

Even if it for your own use you need to know how to use the products properly.

I thought exactly the same thing about the natural nail when I saw the picture's too. I have one of my client's who was a nail biter and after a course of treatments now has lovely nails. I am now trying hard to convince her she doesn't need nail enhancements and to let me work magic with the enamels! Off subject bit here............

Lilliya - look at the thread on the damaged that has happened to somebody with an acid primer. This could have easily happen to you because you have not been trained in how to use it properly and the dangers that go with it.

Even if it for your own use you need to know how to use the products properly.

Theresa I have to say that as I have read through this thread all I could see was the chemical burns from that primer. To the person who says we are artists - yes we are. However being a nail technician is different from being someone who is purely an artist. We deal with chemicals which, if not used properly, can and do cause serious damage.

Therefore, it would be totally irresponsible of members of this site to encourage people to "do their own" with Pro products without the recognised training ... just as you wouldn't go into your hairdresser and say "hey I've bought this bleach and tint stuff now can you tell me how I use it, and then give me critique on the finished result?" - I think they woud tell you to go forth and multiply.

Also I have seen too many times people say they only do their own. So if a friend asked you to do theirs and offered to pay, you would turn them away? I'd be surprised if you did! If you want to do your own fine. If you want to continue to put yourself at risk, that's your prerogative. But please do not expect those of us who actually know the risks and see it as our profession and passion to give advice to those who aren't. The only advice we can and will ever give is GO GET GOOD EDUCATION.

PS can we all sign up for our FREE music lessons now, after all I guess that's okay by the musician that posted on here :green:

fine by me LOL! what do you wanna learn? i cant read music that well but i can give you advice about releasing a hit single..??? and what a commercial song consists of :green:

by the way just thought id clear things up earlier when i said about the musician thing i wasnt comparing nails to music i was saying that some people are naturally talented at nails or music and can produce what looks like professional results without going on a course. looks like people got their wires cross. also i didnt mean to offend you but in my opinion i think nails is art. for example "nail art" i dont think you should really be offended!

also, im thinking of doing a course in nails, so dont make me look evil! lol i agree with you guys i know what your saying about products and chemicals etc. and i do need to learn more about it. but i mean what about these DIY acrylic nail sets that they sell in boots, superdrug? for people that arnt trained in it what happens then?

im not against you guys, i know you all probably do an amazing job just thought i'd put across my veiws!

take care everyone

xx:hug:xx

Last edited:
fine by me LOL! what do you wanna learn? i cant read music that well but i can give you advice about releasing a hit single..??? and what a commercial consists of :green:

by the way just thought id clear things up earlier when i said about the musician thing i wasnt comparing nails to music i was saying that some people are naturally talented at nails or music and can produce what looks like professional results without going on a course. looks like people got their wires cross. also i didnt mean to offend you but in my opinion i think nails is art. for example "nail art" i dont think you should really be offended!

also, im thinking of doing a course in nails, so dont make me look evil! lol i agree with you guys i know what your saying about products and chemicals etc. and i do need to learn more about it. but i mean what about these DIY acrylic nail sets that they sell in boots, superdrug? for people that arnt trained in it what happens then?

im not against you guys, i know you all probably do an amazing job just thought i'd put across my veiws!

take care everyone

xx:hug:xx

when people are not trained in nails ...they go to argos and boots and "make there own nails"...then they come to us who have trained with weak..brittle nails that THEY have caused...why???? cos they dont realise thedamage these nails can do...thats why people who go to the professionals have good nails....we wont do nails that are bad we give them manicures...were not in it for the money...were in it to give a client what they want ...great nails xx

Last edited:
:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

Hi! Thank you all for sharing your opinion.

I really realize that working with chemicals could be dangerous, and I 100% agree that there is a need for a training. However, before doing the nails I spoke to my friend who is a Nail Tech and had a course. She explained everything to me, plus I have done a research and found a huge amount of information about nail enhancement. It is more dangerous when teenage girls get Acrylic Kits from a local drug store and try to do their nails w/o any information about how to properly do it! In my case I have been familiar with nail enhancement since 2002 and I've been gathering information since then (I mentioned that I had my nails done many times).

Also, if we are talking about certificates..in Canada I used to do my nails in a Korean Salon, where they just removed about 50% of my natural nails and it hurt and burned! AND they had certificates. I knew it was wrong.

So, from my perspective, people either take courses to get information, or search for it themselves.

Sassy Hassy, you know why I would not do my friend's nails? :) Two reasons: I am not trained, and I won't take a responsibility for that person (I am a lifeguard, I know what it is); and, it will take me a few hours, I am sure, and I value my time. I could make much more than $20 for 2 hours :)--business perspective.

Then, somebody mentioned hard work+courses. You know, when you learn stuff yourself it is a hard work and effort too. It just may take more time, and I totally agree with Alzy- it is an art for me. I guess that's because I am an artistic person, I can do nail art better that enhancements :green: even though my nails look perfect to me as I always wanted them to be.

My natural nails are great :) BUT there is not enough space for me to draw on them ;) also, they break often and I love long nails, so that's why I decided to go with gel nails.

Please, no offend to any one. There are people who make money doing nails, people who take it as a career, and there are those who's hobby is to have beautiful nails (that's me). So, I guess next pictures I'll post to the Nail Art forum :)

P.S. I do not quite get those people who refused to give some comments because I don't have a certificate (I am trained enough to do it for myself). It looks like I am trying to steal your opinion :) However, everyone has a right for his/her own decisions.

And I'll consider a nail course as well :) If I did not tell you I have no Certificate, you would never guessed, I think :)

Thank you for a great discussion, if there is something else to say, it would be informative to read.

yes i am totally offended. Boo to you, maybe music is what you should stick at. she was asking for advise, which she was given,in a most respectful manner and you come on and offend every proffessional here,when you're not even qualified yourself????

Just concerned about you.

They look ok yes, but do you know if they are fully cured? Because not fully cured gel is one of the most dangerous thing you can walk around with, not only do you have to know the time for curing you also have to know the thickness, if its to thick a layer it will not cure properly.

So in short(or long now I'm done writing lol):

I'm not offended that you do your own nails because I think you have describeb very well that you wont do it to others, I think the end result is ok (not perfect, but ok for a newbie) I think your artwork is beautifull, but please be careful. Doing the nails is actually only half the work, its all the other things that will make you able to do lovely SAFE and longlasting enhancements on you and others. You might think you can read all of it, and study for yourself, but what if the info you read somewhere is wrong? Who are you gonna ask, or who is going to tell you if it's not an educated person , whos is used to educate people.

Good luck in the future, You have the gift of talent for sure and you sound like you are clever enough to take all of the proffesionel advise

Latest posts

Back