My gas saga ....... any advise please ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becki x

Reaction score
When we bought our home it had a gas pre payment meter so we had to use that at first.

The thing is we have an average size three bed,and allthough i appreciate meter's are more expensive,it is using about £7 per day.I am frightened to change to a bill because it wil be so expensive,until this is sorted

We'll call then B Gas lol,i have made approx 30 calls to them,i have has the boiler serviced and a new meter,still charging the same.

No one disagree's this is extremely excessive,but i can't get anyone to help me sort this problem,it's been on going since july.

We are spending £70 every 10 days on gas,and we don't have it.They have told me i will be refunded once it's resolved but no one will help me.

I am absolutely at my wits end,i've rung every number to no avail.

Does any one have any advice at all that can help me ?

Gas meters can 'collect' outstanding payments too, it's preset to take a certain amount extra to the gas you're consuming.
Maybe there was an outstanding bill before you moved in because there's no way that you should be spending that much on gas for a 3 bed house, mine used to be between 10-15 pounds a week (depending on the time of year).

Oh Becki, when I read your title I thought this was going to be a result of eating too many beans LOL.

This must be really so frustrating for you. I had a problem with an electricity company some time ago and I eventually got so fed up that I contacted Ofgem Ofgem Home

Miraculously I got contact from the electricity company quite quickly.

It might be worth a try - it is all well and good them saying you will get refunded but what about the interest they are earning on YOUR money, will that come back too.

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted soon.

and just as a ps. I have a 5 bedroom house and I spend £68 per month on my gas and electricity.

And I am at home all day.

Thanks ladies,Sandi that what the first thing i checked that there was no debt outstanding and it's set at a standard rate rather than premium.

Thanks for the links,will look into that

:hug:

You will automatically pay more for your gas on a pre paid meter, I was suprised how much more gas costs doing it this way (and electric).

If you go to the uswitch.com site and fill out the form to find the cheapest supplier in your area, select no details handy when it asks for consumption and it will ask u about your house and number of people living there etc and will calculate roughtly what your cost should be. I'd deff check it out it may give you some idea of what you could be paying. I pay £70 a month for gas and electric with Southern Electric.

HTH

Rachel

Thanks,i already know that next door pay £64 per QUARTER and they are in the house more than us !

I need to resolve this before i change supplier as there is a problem somewhere.

A friend who's house is identical to ours uses £3 max,per day

:hug:

I use British Gas fr my electric on a pre paid meter ( we don't have any gas ) and they are the most expensive supplier using these meters. I have a 3 bedroom hous and can use up to £50 a week. Go to U switch and change Becki. I a currently changing to EDF energy. Good luck.

I use British Gas fr my electric on a pre paid meter ( we don't have any gas ) and they are the most expensive supplier using these meters. I have a 3 bedroom hous and can use up to £50 a week. Go to U switch and change Becki. I a currently changing to EDF energy. Good luck.

I'm worried though that if i change not only will any problem causing this excessive use be un resolved but i won't be refunded ?!?!?

Call Energy Watch and report the problem to them and even if you change supplier they will take it up with your previous supplier and sort it out.

I had a similar thing with Powergen a couple of eyars ago, I was all electric and was paying £8 a month more than they said i would need to when I signed up but 12 months down the line I got a bill for £1200. At the time I had a 4month old baby and my hubby was redundant and they threatened to cut me off if I didnt pay it. I called energy watch and registered my complaint with them and paid the bill then changed to Scottish Power.

Within 3 months i was £150 in credit with scottish power after paying them £72 a month so i was using exactly the amount that Powergen said I should be using, £22 a month.

after 3 months I called energy watch back on a saturday morning, told them the update with scottish power's bill and within 2 hours I had a chq on the way from Powergen for £1105. Apparently the meter readings were incorrect, they had transposed a couple of numbers in my start up reading :eek:.

I have a gas prepayment meter granted I only have a one bedroom first floor flat but it costs me around 80 pence a day. £7 a day is insane the pre payment system IS more expensive but only slightly!!!

Deff something wrong there

Ami

Get them to come out and reset your meter Becki, just ahd the same problems with british gas myself. Speak to the ombusman(you know what i mean) and get him to take it up thats what he is there for number shoudl be in the yellow pages.
HTH

hi becks...ask them to come out and check the meter is working ok....i use to be on just electric and i switched supplyers as my suppler was charging me £180 a month just for electric in summer!!!!!!!!!...i switched and now i have gas i pay £83 per month...also contact energy watch like already said....they are the people to deal with !! x

and just as a ps. I have a 5 bedroom house and I spend £68 per month on my gas and electricity.

And I am at home all day.

MY GOD that is soooooooooooooo cheap!!!!....how do you do that so cheap????????????????????????????????????????????????

Thanks for all the help,the meter was REPLACED last week as another measure of them trying to sort this prob :rolleyes:

Thanks again x

I had the same problem with british gas for my electricity and it has taken me 18 months so far and still not sorted out to my satisfaction.

Have a look at your bill and find out how much per unit you are being charged and then take a daily reading from your meter, this will tell you how many units you are using and then you can work out the cost.

I would inform energy watch too as they will make some contact with the gas company on your behalf. Once I got them involved, although it still took a bit of pushing I got my first lot of compensation back - almost £900!

Thanks hun,i don't get a bill so wouldn't know how to ?????

More problems :cry:

I have been in touch with energy watch dog who are looking into it

after 5 request a pre payment card has not been sent,looks like we won't have it for xmas wich means emergency call out only,they will not come until there is no credit and then they aim to get there within 4 hrs unless there's an emergency

over xmas skeleton staff,so i have to wait til i have no gas,then ring,then they will send someone as and when

i am in tears through sheer frustration and the thought of having no gas at xmas/or having to deal with this on that day

I don't know where else to turn,can anyone help please

i am in tears through sheer frustration and the thought of having no gas at xmas/or having to deal with this on that day

I don't know where else to turn,can anyone help please

Have you thought of trying Watchdog?

Latest posts

Back