My Gelish today took too long, any tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandelion

Reaction score
I went to one of my regular clients today to do a Gelish reapplication with a nail repair.
I removed the Gelish which took ages 20min as there was 2 lots due to in filling last time (won't do that again)
Then I had to cut and file her nails which I feel I take too long doing and I hate filing - any help there would be appreciated.
She had one broken nail which I repaired with a sculpted hard gel. Then did the Gelish application.
All in it took 2 hours!!! She does talk and she did have to faff about making cups of tea for family members but even so I feel I took to long, she even commented on how long I'd taken!

Sorry for long post but I feel a bit down about it :-(

Any tips on speeding up but doing a lovely job ??

I went to one of my regular clients today to do a Gelish reapplication with a nail repair.
I removed the Gelish which took ages 20min as there was 2 lots due to in filling last time (won't do that again)
Then I had to cut and file her nails which I feel I take too long doing and I hate filing - any help there would be appreciated.
She had one broken nail which I repaired with a sculpted hard gel. Then did the Gelish application.
All in it took 2 hours!!! She does talk and she did have to faff about making cups of tea for family members but even so I feel I took to long, she even commented on how long I'd taken!

I always take an hour when for a re Gelish and it's nearly half an hour soaking off and filing etc. If you had to do a repair and she was up and down then it could easily take that long. Don't be down about it, as long as you did a good job there's nothing to worry about :)

Sometimes this just does happen. I had a lady a few week ago & felt I took too long but we both loved the end result so no harm!!
Don't infill gelish, that's not how it's designed to be worn. Removal & re application each time! Your removal is probably what took the longest. As for filing that will come with practise, take a look at GiGi's book 'Nail class' or check fingernail fixer out on YouTube as I'm sure she'll have a tutorial on filing!!
I usually take an hour to do soak off & new gelish, slightly longer 1 hour 15 if they have nail art etc. I use the LED lamp now & it has cut my time down by about 15 mins per customer so I would highly recommend that!
If your Column allows you to, try not to worry too much about time, as long as your doing everything correctly & you & your client are 100% happy with them then that's all that matters!
:) smile & hug xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to add jojo that u can infill Gelish, only once is recommended and if I buff before removal I don't think it takes any longer to remove. I've only done it in one client who always has the same colour and never has any wear and tear! X

Thanks Geeks :)
I forgot to buff so that's probably why it too longer.
I have been thinking all day about this and next time I think I will see if she can come to me. That way there are no distractions for her and I can have her soaking whilst I make the tea!!!
Thank you all again xx

It took me 1 hour 45 mins to do removal and reapply tonight! It really depends on how much work you have to do on their nails to prep, don't worry about it, as long as you did a good job that's all that matters, I would love to be able to do a removal and reapply in 1 hour !! :) x

Yea i see nothing wrong with your timing also, removal always takes forever,since you can't do anything while they soak, i took almost 2 hours once,it was a removal and then mani w/ a french Gelish..took me waaayyy too long,i was too embarrased and she said something too about how long it took,thank goodness it was a fam member,but i learned on here to work on one hand at a time,work on one while the other is curing and it has def speeded up the process :D

Thank you I feel loads better after reading your comments. I was embarrassed and also angry with my self for not judging it better time size - luckily my next client has cancelled but I just kept thinking what if she'd still been booked in!! Lol
Everything happens for a reason and that was certainly a learning curve for me hugs xxx

Do you all do a full cuticle prep, file and shape at every removal and reapply? because that is what is taking me all my time and I'm wondering if I need to do it at every appointment, my problem is I'm such a perfectionist lol.

My client's all say I'm a perfectionist aswell but they also say this is why they come to me because they know I care about my work and won't let them leave unless I think they look perfect, they also say they feel they get their money's worth. It's not really a problem as I work from home, I would however prefer to be a lot quicker :) x

Do you all do a full cuticle prep, file and shape at every removal and reapply? because that is what is taking me all my time and I'm wondering if I need to do it at every appointment, my problem is I'm such a perfectionist lol.

My client's all say I'm a perfectionist aswell but they also say this is why they come to me because they know I care about my work and won't let them leave unless I think they look perfect, they also say they feel they get their money's worth. It's not really a problem as I work from home, I would however prefer to be a lot quicker :) x
Hi
I know where you are coming from I'm exactly the same if I could do a removal and regelish in an hour I'd be jumping for joy, most of my clients get a feature nail wether it be rockstar Konad etc it seems to take me 1hr 10- 20 mins.
Its the removal which seems to be taking longer as I'm finding little stubborn Bits that i don't like to force off so end up re-wrapping, I find I fiddle too much with filing by filing them looking at nails I've just filed ( which are fine) but go back to them for an another swipe of my file.
I've started telling myself right enough they are fine leave it and get on to the next stage.
It's getting the balance of a quality service in the quickest time, without flaffing about.x
Ps I too work for home and as I don't have time constraints tend to take too long.
To other geeks if you could break your gelish service down into times what would they be?( that might help to have something to work to). thanks.😃

Firstly,Always buff off the top coat, as this is much harder to remove being soaked off.are u. Using a soak off solution or cotton pads, cut to size of the nail, dipped in acetone& then placed on the buffed tips wrapped in tinfoil.this works well.no matter what colour it should't take any more than 15 - 25 mins.I do check one hand first try remove,then place it back on if it needs more.some people just pop hands I to soakoff solution/acetone. Based
As for the cubicle work.I always push back the cuticles &\remove any excess skin.I never use u nippers or knife.it's not a full manicure it's only to remove dead skin to prevent any lifting.

Hope this helps&the more u do the faster u will get.good luck xx:lol:

I never buff first as I have tried both ways and it doesn't make any difference, it only takes 10/15 mins for my soak off, I only ever do cuticle work with curette and pusher as trained and file and shape, not full manicure.

I would not feel happy soaking my clients nails in Acetone, I use Dsolve with only tiny pieces of cotton wool and tin foil.

I think I will carry on the way I am as no one has ever complained, in fact quite the opposite, I'm just a perfectionist lol. Thanks for advice though :) x

A general guide to help you a little:

When doing the initial consultation on the clients re visit ask if they are looking to have some length taken down. if so then, when buffing the clients top coat for soak off also file the length down to approx where they need it. it is more difficult to soak off the free edge area so just file that unwanted free edge area away on the initial buff saves having to soak that part off. So when you have buffed and taken down the length of the first nail you then start the soak on that nail and move onto doing the same with the second nail and so on.

When you have taken the soak off foil from the first nail i also do the cuticle prep on that nail, so whilst the other nails are still soaking the cuticle prep is done as each nail has its foil and old product removed.

Just by doing the above 2 steps as described you have saved 2 major steps on all 10 nails after you have soaked off.

Hope that makes sense. x x x

Yea i see nothing wrong with your timing also, removal always takes forever,since you can't do anything while they soak, i took almost 2 hours once,it was a removal and then mani w/ a french Gelish..took me waaayyy too long,i was too embarrased and she said something too about how long it took,thank goodness it was a fam member,but i learned on here to work on one hand at a time,work on one while the other is curing and it has def speeded up the process :D

In reply to not being able to do anything whilst the nails are soaking, if you do other treatments why not offer a quick eyebrow wax or other similar treatment to pass the time?? Just a thought as that's what I do and it's a bit extra money for no extra time :))

Kelly x

When doing the initial consultation on the clients re visit ask if they are looking to have some length taken down. if so then, when buffing the clients top coat for soak off also file the length down to approx where they need it. it is more difficult to soak off the free edge area so just file that unwanted free edge area away on the initial buff saves having to soak that part off. So when you have buffed and taken down the length of the first nail you then start the soak on that nail and move onto doing the same with the second nail and so on.

When you have taken the soak off foil from the first nail i also do the cuticle prep on that nail, so whilst the other nails are still soaking the cuticle prep is done as each nail has its foil and old product removed.

Just by doing the above 2 steps as described you have saved 2 major steps on all 10 nails after you have soaked off.

Ohhh thanks for that makes perfect sense will definitely try it that way especially filing the free edge before soak off the remover should be able to penetrate a lot easier.. Great tip!!xx

Thanks for that, I will definitely do that next time, makes perfect sense :hug: xxx

I don't know you removal technique when removing Gelish but it takes me about 10 mins to get the gelish off.

I break the top coat seal by buffing, then I drench a lint free wipe in acetone and wrap with foil, then I place the hands in heated mitts for about 8 mins x Some stubborn nails may need another min or so but they can be placed back in the mitt whilst I work on the others x

HTH's x

I feel your pain I had a lady the other week going out for cigarette breaks making tea taking phone calls and cup of soup...:sad:
it took me hours for a simple gelish removal and re application. my cuticle work takes long enough as it is without all that fluffing.
I apologised for taking a wee while like you do....
anyway few days later we where speaking and I said I would understand if she went elsewhere and she basically said I had taken too long..i just said if we didn't stop for breaks it wouldn't take that long in a joking but serious manner :(

Latest posts

Back