My hair and highlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulette

Reaction score
Hi Well its finally grown a bit and Ive managed to get it a lighter colour. My hairdresser has done a lovely job at getting it lighter by way of highlighting with foils using Wella Magma, (which is a bleach with toner). We started using plain bleach and a golden blonde magma shade, so it had depth.

My question is, do any of you fellow geeks when highlighting, say on the second or third time of doing the highlights, weave and only paint on a "root" area i.e the regrowth area or do you weave and paint on the whole section again overlapping previous colour?
The last two times I have had just the 1 colour as I have gone with the lighter Magma shade now.

Loving my lighter look, I had to have a look at my gallery on here to remind myself at how dark my hair actually was!! I looked ill before!! lol

Also what do you think about adding a high lift tint say an ash blonde not sure what the shade is, but its wella I guess 12/?? (aswell as the magma.)

Hi Well its finally grown a bit and Ive managed to get it a lighter colour. My hairdresser has done a lovely job at getting it lighter by way of highlighting with foils using Magma. My question is, do any of you fellow geeks when highlighting, say on the second or third time of doing the highlights, weave and only paint on a "root" area i.e the regrowth area or do you weave and paint on the whole section again overlapping previous colour?
I know a lot of hairdressers have different techniques after reading another thread on blonde hair.

Hi, paulette your hair looks a fab colour ,

I try to pick up the last lot of highlights and only do the root re growth
as I find it better for the condition and it all blends well together ,

You are right Paulette about the bleach and the magma ,
it will cause damage and breakage if it is overlapped too much,

I think you should ask her if she could try highlighting with the root method only,
it would be a shame to ruin all that good work,

You may be better using a high lift tint in foils, and the magma in the other foils, the tint wont lift as high as bleach will especially if your hair is darkish and contains a lot of pigment,
( it may be a possible though ), have chat and ask your friend to do some tinted test pieces for you to see if you like it, :hug:

Yes I too do my best and do it that way I havent the heart to mention it to my hairdresser as she is more experienced than me but she and I both know my hair is getting a little dry now. Im wondering if using a high lift tint aswell as the Magma will help? As she is a neighbour and we get on well I can make suggestions as she knows I am a hairdresser also. what do you think?

Yes I too do my best and do it that way I havent the heart to mention it to my hairdresser as she is more experienced than me but she and I both know my hair is getting a little dry now. Im wondering if using a high lift tint aswell as the Magma will help? As she is a neighbour and we get on well I can make suggestions as she knows I am a hairdresser also. what do you think?

Hi, If you only had a few highlights blonde slices in your hair it would quite easy to pick up and just do the root area ,

but once you start to heavily highlight your hair with either high lift tint or a bleaching product ,
it soon becomes quite hard to search and seperate the previous tinted and bleached highlights , therefore making it a lot harder to do just the roots of the highlights as the tones can get muddled ,

I wouldn't recommend anymore bleach magma or tint to be taken through the ends anymore,
as it could damage the hair further,

I would ask her is it possible to just do the root area ?
as you say it would be far better for the condition
and she has done your hair really well and the colours are lovely ,
it would be a shame for it to be over processed at this stage,

but If you find your hair is getting over processed with bleach highlights
you could have a high lift tint on the roots , which would be a more subdued blonde look
with a few scattered bleached foils to brighten it now and again,
and a few caramel tones added for depth ,

This way you would get a similar look and wont be taking the bleach all over the ends of the hair all the time ,

sorry it is so long winded , I hope I made sense,

hopefully someone else can give thier views too x

ask for test pieces though if your hair is dry good luck :hug:

Ps, I don't think you are supposed to overlap with magma either ,

If anyone uses magma could you please let us know what the instructions say ?

You should never overlap any color or bleach unless it is for the last 5 mins for toning and refreshing the color on the ends. :wink2: You hair will be over processed otherwises.

You should never overlap any color or bleach unless it is for the last 5 mins for toning and refreshing the color on the ends. :wink2: You hair will be over processed otherwises.

Yes I knew this!! But isnt it awful when you know and dare not say anything. I think Im going to suggest a tint next time or im going to be frazzled to death !!

Thanks Minky sounds like a great suggestion using the high lift tint, I was thinking that may be an alternative, even if its not so blonde using the high lift, itll still look fine as there is the lighter Magma in the hair already.
Now as for slices she did mention that to me a while ago but as Im growing my hair she said it would look better when it got a bit longer as in the beginning the layers were really short.
Im guessing the chunkier slices would look better on one length hair?!

Thanks Minky sounds like a great suggestion using the high lift tint, I was thinking that may be an alternative, even if its not so blonde using the high lift, itll still look fine as there is the lighter Magma in the hair already.
Now as for slices she did mention that to me a while ago but as Im growing my hair she said it would look better when it got a bit longer as in the beginning the layers were really short.
Im guessing the chunkier slices would look better on one length hair?!

Hi Paulette,
Yes I agree it may be better to wait till your hair grows a bit ,
slices done on longer hair can add lots of interest and because the hair is longer they look lovely and natural too, especially if mixed in with highlights ,

on shorter hair I find they may give a more bold apearance than a natural effect ,
slices can still look great though in short hair and fringes ect, to compliment the cut,

On longer hair I like to place blonde around the front and top sections of the hair nearest towards the face, I weave 1/2 the blonde foil normal and the other 1/2 in a slice, I find this gives those natural sun kissed beachy highlights , (using a bleach for slices and flashes of light creamy blonde effects )

(The highlights are usually high lift tint )

I also place a few random bleached lights in slices of foils wherever needed to brighten the hair along in between the tinted Highlights

I may add some caramel tones occasionally, if I find the hair needs a bit of depth to it,

I find it best to record all colours and do a little diagram which helps me remember where they were placed,
if your hairdresser is busy and doesn't do this you could do it yourself ,

I'm sure she would appreciate it (as she is a friend ), I know I would,

Then she can refer to the diagram and be sure to pickup the same pieces and not overlap,

There is a thread and a good picture of (qualityblondes hair) on here somewhere
It has some fabulous colours and sections of blonde in it, and her hair is quite long too ,
which I think is lovely,
tried to copy and paste it, but couldn't ,

maybe if you do a search , you will find it ,

good luck :hug:

i think it looks really nice.i was meant to get my hair done last week but i had to cancel as ive had a really bad cold,so at the moment my hair doesnt look to good.i have highlights usually but ive decided to go abit lighter this time with a few darker blondes too.i cant wait as i love having my hair done.it does look lovely though:)

i think it looks really nice.i was meant to get my hair done last week but i had to cancel as ive had a really bad cold,so at the moment my hair doesnt look to good.i have highlights usually but ive decided to go abit lighter this time with a few darker blondes too.i cant wait as i love having my hair done.it does look lovely though:)

Hi tracy louise , yes Paulette's hair does look lovely ,

just wondering about your hair though too,
if you could show us some before and after pics that would be great as we all love these, or even just some afters would be lovely,:hug:
good luck with your new colour ,
btw what style are you going to have it cut in ?
or is it just a trim ? :hug:

advice from a mate, persevere and color regrowth only (start again), otherwise overlapping will cause demarcation lines throughout the hair, which are weak spots where breakage will occur. He suggests cutting the back off and leaving the top long with texture through ends, dying regrowth at back blonde........ handy hint (heavier makeup), you got the face for it, he thinks you are beautiful. Very Tori Spelling.... nough said.

if you are referring to moi!! Yeah I totally agree this photo makes me look a little ill I need to use heavier makeup I agree xx As for colour yes I am having just the roots done as Im trying to grow my hair also, but for now have to keep it in a graduated bob, I kinda like it though so may stick with that for a while before going longer.
Thanks to your mate for the sweet comment... ooh Tori Spelling eh!! mmm thats a lot better than when i had short dark hair someone said I looked like.. Liza Minnelli ewww !!

Latest posts

Back