My hair didn't bleach & doesn't seem to want to tone, medical issue?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ellie921

Reaction score
Please don't tell me to see a hair dresser, or lecture me, tell me it was wrong or stupid... Does anyone want to tackle this?
I decided to delete the long version and am just going to put the basics.

I bleached my hair about 3 times over 3 days for reasons. I'm not going to take up space explaining why, as it obviously happened regardless.
The condition seemed really good actually, even better than before at times it seemed, until I toned it twice. Now it is pretty dry but doesn't look terrible to me.. It started off brown, not too dark, but medium brown maybe? and very fine and straight.

I am not happy because my hair looks really synthetic now. Very glowy yellow. I look like some weird doll. I also expected my hair to go white right away, despite everything I had heard or expected, due to youtube videos and product reviews, even though I didn't want this and wanted to go blonde slowly. So I bought Blondeme Ice toner, then when my hair turned out orange, yellow, white AND was still brown, I bought the sand colour too and mixed them both together to see if that would make it look more even, as sand would be darker than ice (platinum).

I now realise my hair, especially the orange, is probably too dark to take the Blondeme, and I am trying to figure out how that works... maybe it is level 6? 7? (It seems the blondeme is only for level 9 and 10 aka the white or almost white parts) How do I find toners for specific levels of bleached hair? (I looked for Wella and didn't see it. Everyone seems to use the T18 and I see it changing pure orange hair to platinum, which is weird. I bought everything off Sallys a week ago so all new products etc).

Here are the details:
bleach #1 - about 60ml of vol 30 developer, 25g bleach powder, Manic Panic Crazy Color bleaching kit. Seemed dry and I had to stop mixing the product as it seems they gave out the wrong amount and it wouldn't all fit in the tub that came with it so I had to make do. That turns out to be about 1:1 anyway so about right from my reading.

I put this on over coconut oil that had been soaking overnight against my better judgement and wondering if this blocked out the bleach getting through? The entire back of my head was still pure brown, as was leopard print patches (still brown) all over the top of my head about an inch down from my roots and other patches throughout really. The rest of my hair went brassy yellow (with some white) which was expected.

I did the back of my hair FIRST and left roots, parting/scalp and face framing parts until last. Some tips were still dark afterwards too. At one point I noticed one tip was not changing colour like the rest of the hair, and put more bleach on it but it still didn't do anything more in the end. (After a few bleaches the light parts actually seemed to get darker unless I just imagined it...so the entire thing looked more orangey than yellow, or yellow and brown).

Bleach #2 I did the dark bits / brown again with different brand products, 60mls equal parts of 10/20 vol and equal part bleach powder.
Bleach #3 I did the dark bits and they finally dulled slightly to the point I considered maybe not calling them brown anymore. Or at least I could tell they had been lightened unlike the other times. Used 30 vol manic developer (which I realise was a mistake to reuse a product I think was probably crappy, but I was finishing the small bottle off) and I used the other brand bleach (Schwarzkopf Igora Vario). (I only used 30ml in total this time)

I then tried toner with 10 vol but nothing happened so I did it again with 20 vol as I wondered if the brown was actually orange, and wasn't sure what toner to use for 3 toned hair.... It kind of changed from less brassy to just a glowing abnormal looking with some normal looking blonde shades and white parts (maybe platinum). I guess it was a total waste of time as blondeme doesn't seem to be suitable for orange brassiness anyway. The hair just looks UNNATURAL. I don't understand.

I left the bleach and toner on for the maximum time, which the first box said was 80 minutes. I tried some purple shampoo like 3 times, no difference. While I was waiting a bit longer to see if the brown would actually change from brown, it ended up making my roots and around my hairline white, which I didn't intend to happen, as I did them last on purpose. That complicates things I think and obviously I don't want to go near them again with bleach any time soon.

Another problem is that despite multiple bleachings, my hairline does not seem to want to change colour either. You can actually see all the individual hairs, dark hairs, coming out of my scalp. The first few mms are still dark all over really which is annoying. I ended up bleaching an inch of my facial skin making sure to get this end of hairline area so clearly it was saturated with bleach at the part it came out of my skin.

Do you need to know anything else to help you figure it out? Or to advise? Clearly I should leave it alone, and I will, but at some point I'm going to need to take action and correct something somewhere. When at the earliest do you suggest I try to make changes, and how?

I am thinking either a demi dye to go to dark blonde all over, if possible. But then I am still lost about future changes. The back and the leopard patches seem to have changed with the final bleach and toning, to a dark blonde or or orange colour and I seem to have more orange generally which may change with a suitable toner I suppose? if my hair accepts it.

PS: I have been very sick for a long time and I thought my hair would actually fall out. And see below, I was charged for a perm that didn't take, so I just tried it myself and don't feel like paying for a hairdresser to fail to bleach or tone my hair, anything they can do, I can do once I find the right products surely. I had my hair cut to all the one length yet I have inch long bits and 2 inch long, fringe like bits all over, it's either hair that has broken off, or that has fallen out previously and is growing back in. I have had no answers for my medical problems or if this is affecting my hair. A really long time ago, maybe even a decade ago, I got a perm that failed and only took in a few areas then just disappeared. I was asked if I was on medication or drugs which I am not and was not. Any ideas? All I know is I might have PCOS but that doesn't explain bleach rejection surely. Or hair damage (I only use a hairdryer briefly, nothing else and rarely dyed, never bleached except highlights once as a teen) I can't see that I did anything wrong or missed patches. All I can think of is MAYBE the mixture wasn't wet or runny enough that somehow produced patches. But then again why would some areas change and others not. It looks like lowlights at the back. In fact it could be nice if it was consistent.

Seems like if my hair is going to keep not accepting bleach, looking as if I missed an entire 1/2 or 1/3 of my head, in CHUNKS as well, I will maybe have to just go back to brown or something. When I got my hair dyed black by students a few years ago, they missed quite a big patch on the top back of my head but I was told by the supervisor when I went back that it didn't take and this can happen, so it wasn't missed apparently. This made me plan to keep some dye spare if I ever dyed my hair myself. That dye has definitely grew out as I knew I had to work with undyed hair. Plus I cut half of it off to get rid of any existing damage at the start of this year. My hair has strong copper / ginger brassy looking tones in it at it's normal colour.

I decided against streaks or highlights because I wasn't sure how you could separate all the strands again to redo only those areas. Especially if you overlapped onto white hair. So I am concerned about how I can fix it with so many different coloured strands. Can a toner for orange, match the white toned parts so it is all even in the end And if so would I have to apply it carefully only to the patches or just put it all over? Or if I do tone again in a while, would mixing blue and purple base (or toner for level 6 and 8 for example) together work, and get it to where it is needed by itself?

:) Hope this made sense. I edited a lot so hopefully even more so.

Please visit a good colourist.

This site is for trained professional hairdressers and it’s against site rules to post technical advice to diy-ers/potential clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back