My husband is whinging about the smell of Monomer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Seraphine,
My husband used to moan like mad about the smell until we did what a previous post suggestd and bought a log cabin from Finn Forest.
Its' fully double glazed with a fully opening window and has a double mortice lock. I painted the inside white and put lino down it's connected to the mains electricity and has a sink in the corner no plumbing required.
All my customers are so surprised when they come and it is toasty warm.
I see like me you are based in Scotland so you will bound by the same constraints i was, which were ;

1) If your mortgage company hasn't been notified and approved your running a business from home then your public liability insurance is invalid. Some mortgage companies have no problem mine did. However they approved of a garden business as outwith my home.

2) If your not using the room in your home for a domestic function as well as a home salon and someone reports you or the council finds out then your council tax may be increased.

3) planning permission, as the cabin is a wooden building it does not require planning permission as it is classed as a "non-permanent" structure.

So bob's your uncle, all boxes ticked. My husband and father-in-law had the entire thing done and dusted in a weekend as the logs slot together no nails required. Only thing is the price (£2,800) but think about how much rent, water, electricity, contents insurance and outfitting a premises would cost you in comparison ? I had shopped around for premises before going down this road and calculated i'd be £3,500/yr in rent etc. so in less than a year it pays for itself. Best part is no strangers in your home and no travelling to work, also no concerns about salon security at night cause your there ! If a customer wants to use the bathroom then they can go in the garden bushes (joke) te he he..On their client record card i have a statement which they must sign which says i will not accept responsibility for personal injury or damage to property on my premises, this allows for customers to use my bathroom.
I have found this such a stress free way to build my business as if i have a quiet spell i'm not worrying about rent and electricity ticking away.
I can take some pictures and post them for you if you like ?

Only irony is my husband sometimes comes into the cabin when i'm practising after hours and actually has the cheek to stand there bitching about the odour !!!** What can you do ? Can't live with em, can't kill em !
Oh and short term, NSI sell a mini extractor called the "fuminator" which i find very effective.

Thanks for all the information, some of it is really interesting, I am thinking about getting a log cabin/summer house and am going to check out planning and mortgage etc this week.

Last edited:
I agree with the other posters who say that there is something deeper going on here. It might very well be too painful to deal with that though, but something tells me that no matter what you do he'll find something to complain about.
Good luck - I hope you can find your way through it all.
:hug:

As a last resort hit him across the nose with a cricket bat, he wont be able to smell anything then hun :hug:

As a last resort hit him across the nose with a cricket bat, he wont be able to smell anything then hun :hug:

At last....a SENSIBLE answer!

Hi Hun,
Do you really need a husband???
If so then move him into a log cabin with a bedroom, en suite and kitchenette...........If he keeps moaning ............divorce.
Mine used to moan a tiny bit, said it reminded him of car thinners, now never says anything, only asks did I have a client or have I done my nails, which he then wants to see. Then praises them.
I am lucky. ................Don't think...........no I know the last hubby would not have been so nice, ...........another tale........best forgotten. Arghhhhh!!!
Lotsa luv from a very happy wife of 13 years now x x x :hug:

LOL:lol::lol: made me laugh ...but...sensible answer ...next time take some of these spring action clamp type clothes pegs that look similar to mouse traps ..that'll teach them.

Thanks for the input, guys - I don't think I want to take up the cricket bat option just yet, but I'll keep it in mind!

Seriously - I've been trying Gigi's suggestions, although I don't have scrubfresh (I've been using a pad soaked with alcohol to keep the paper from soaking up the monomer). I change the pad often, keep my rubbish contained in metal and take it out frequently. I've got a dropper for my monomer.

He just seems to hyper sensitive, so I'm trying to work around him just now (when I had to do my own nails the other day, I went to a friends' house), and when he is home, then I have no excuse why I can't go to my client's houses (after all, he's home to babysit!)

It will work out - he'll get used to it.

I guess you should count your lucky stars that it's just the Monomer smell your hubby is complaining about :hug:

I guess you should count your lucky stars that it's just the Monomer smell your hubby is complaining about :hug:

are you wafting that smell around with your tail collin? :lol:

He'll stop complaining when he sees the money start to come in!! :green:

Start earning some cash and the jibes will stop very suddenly.

That's the thing - he SEES the money I make, but he still gets uptight about it!!!!

Well, he travels a lot. I'll just work around him! Plus, I have a friend a block away who has a huge empty house and I'm welcome to work there any time I want.

I acknowledge that we do have some other issues, but I don't like it when he delivers these kinds of ultimatums - it's not respectful and I feel like a scolded child. I have addressed him about this, and lately he's been better, but he just doesn't want to see my point of view sometimes!

its funny but being mobile a lot of the husbands or partners of the ladies i do manis, pedis or enhancements on MOAN about the smell of products - ie polish remover and especially monomer - however the women either dont really notice it or find it a pleasant smell - its an interesting topic from a psychologists point of view (sorry have a psych degree!)

x

Totally agree!:lol:

I'm sure he'll get bored of moaning at you - or used to the smell. But don't let it put you off what you want to do - there's give and take in every situation, so maybe it's time he started to play fair.

I know some people find the smell of monomer awful - whenever I do nails around my dad - he just won't shut up about the smell and the classic 'you must be high as a kite' saying.

Just as reassurance for you though - like alot of other Geeks have said, I work from home too, with my twin daughters about all the time, and they take no notice of the smell nor are they in any way affected by my products.

Luckily for me my husband is an embalmer - so the smell of formaldehyde is far worse than monomer - and he doesn't even notice!! Good times!

:hug:

I acknowledge that we do have some other issues, but I don't like it when he delivers these kinds of ultimatums - it's not respectful and I feel like a scolded child. I have addressed him about this, and lately he's been better, but he just doesn't want to see my point of view sometimes!

Over the years of teaching literally thousands of nail technicians, I have noticed on several occasions that certain types of husbands feel extremely threatened by their wives rise to success in their businesses and do their utmost to moan , complain, whine and yes even threaten with ultimatums.

Maybe if he sees the thought of your success as a threat, you could think about that and talk it through.

Some husbands are jealous of nails and the way we feel so passionate about the subject. Perhaps involve him somehow in what you do. That's what I did. The whole family joined my business :lol: in the end.

I'd divorce him.
JMHO

I tell my husband it may stink to him, but it smells like money to me!

Kathleen

Last edited by a moderator:
He may drive me nuts sometimes, but I'm not divorcing him or causing bodily harm over his opinion. I'm more subtle than that... the site of a fat bank account will certainly help, and showing him more of the chemistry studies (I need to get Doug Schoon's book) to prove I'm not talking out of my behind.

I did a set of infills last night at his mom's house - she knows that he doesn't like the smell, but he didn't say too much. She said to me: "it's my house - if he doesn't like it, he can go home!". I love my MIL!

Read all the posts and it still seems a lil odd, my partner of 8 yrs used to make lil comments but cos he's so supportive I never knew why. last yr in middle of a big row he told me he was jealous that everything I say I'll do I do, I was in a gr8 job n the most successful (I thought) I could be and suddenly saw that it was making him miserable as it was always about me, I was always go,go,go and he just tagged along. I cant change myself and certainly wouldnt want to change him so we decided to do it together and open a salon so we could buy a house, I teach so if we have kids I can work round them and he's delighted. he's enrolled on an accounting course and does all the books, works here on l8 nites and sat's loves to show off his spray tan to clients and things are much better now.

Forbidden???? WELL.....Thats totally unreasonable.....

My husband has put up with the smell, clients in the house till god knows what hours, me crying & getting angry whilst training, a nail corner in the dining room that took over the whole room.... At one point i was married to the nail trainer !

He has supported me from day one, if he ever mentioned the word FORBIDDEN I would laugh at him....

If I were you I would fight my corner and let him know that you mean business and that you are going to be a sucess !

Failing that >>>>> D>I>V>O>R>C>E (just kidding) Good luck x

I invested in a purex nail table cost under £900 had it for 2 years now and reduces smells and dust about 90% its amazing and i couldnt live without it now, becasue i was getting sore throats from the monomer vapous and dust and my husband has asthm a and the smells were doing him in too.

Now there are no problems. They let you have a table free of charge for a few weeks, why dont you try it?
Nail Tables with 4-way Extraction from Purexhttp://www.purex

Sara x x x

Latest posts

Back