My husband is whinging about the smell of Monomer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tell my husband that the smell of products whether it's monomer,oils etc is bliss compared to his feet :lol::lol:

Sarita these table look lovely,thanks for sharing xx

I wonder if husbands complain as much about perming solutions if their wives are doing hair from home?? It is in my opinion a much more obnoxious smell. Yet everyone accepts it without fuss.

If he doesn't like the thought of you renting somewhere why not suggest getting a cabin or something for the garden so that you can work there if your situation permits.

I have to agree with him re the smell though. I haven't played with acrylics for ages but did today and remembered by I decided to switch to gels.

Also men do seem to like to have control over us women!

Deb379

I went on the nsi website and saw a filter fan which sucked in the fumes from the monomer smell I will find out the price coz I think it would be good and another suggestion is to get a mask for him to wear when you do treatments.

My husband used to have a sneezing frenzy when I used monomer in the beginning... it really made me feel bad about using it in my home salon, that was until I got all the facts into perspective and showed them to my husband. I followed Geeg's guidelines on minimising the odour as much as possible and nowadays he doesn't even notice it .. well it doesn't make him sneeze any more and I don't recall the last time he complained about the smell. I have been doing nails now for 5 years.

You do become used the smell. When I was in college a couple of years ago doing Beauty Therapy, a lady was practising a set of acrylic nails in the class we were working in and the girls in our class was all complaining about the smell. I couldn't smell it, even though it was a different monomer to the one I use.

Give your husband the facts ... put his mind at rest about the minimal risks around him and your small child. My boy was a baby when I started within the nail industry.

If he still complains ... I go with Lou's advice and get your cricket bat out!!

:hug:

Hi couldn't agree with some of the geeks here sounds like your in a no win situation. No matter how you change things he will always moan about something, and to be quiet honest i think 'like you have stated before' your going through a rough patch right now and i really think that he will argue about anything and no matter what you do he will argue with you because that's his way of dealing with the rough patch, or his way of getting you back because of his anger. Maybe the best thing you can do is sort your problems out and in the mean time do your nails mobile then once you have sorted it out then maybe do it back home. Or even better if you have a big garden then buy a log cabin for the garden 'but talk to him first' then the smell won't be in the house, if he argues about that then sorry hun you are in a no win situation. No matter what you do the smell isn't going to go, i leave my window open all day and the smell is still there. Good luck and hope you sort it out. :hug:
I'm a mobile therapist, but I do the odd set at home on clients that live nearby, and I do my own nails at home.
We had a blow out the other day involving monomer. My husband has always been tetchy about the smell, and I take great pains to keep the smell down so it doesn't bother him. I'm in a well-ventilated room, keep the window open, use Gigi's "scrubfresh on a pad" trick, and above all, try to use it when he's not home (it's tough though as he works from home). He moans about how stinky and horrible it is, but I've just been trying to work around him.

The other day, I needed to decant some into my small bottle I use in my case. I used a funnel, but still spilled a few drops. I cleaned it up, disposed of the pads I used outside the house, but there was still an odour. My husband went LIVID - I left the house at that point and he called me and shouted at me for having this stuff in the house. He doesn't want me to even keep it in the house, and has "forbidden" (his words!) me to use it in our home.

He was very critical, and accused me of being reckless with our son (who's 3) and his health, and that he (my husband) gets such terrible headaches from even the slightest smell of monomer that it must be really dangerous. I don't use monomer anywhere around my child, just to be clear!

He's away on a business trip for a few days so I'm still trying to calm down from this incident. Yet when I bring up wanting to rent a room someplace, he gets critical about the cost. I mean, I'm trying my damnedest to build a business and take care of our son, and the constant juggling has made me a bit crazy of late, but to be "forbidden" to work from home (or even do my own nails here!) has really peeved me.

I know we have some other issues to deal with, but I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Ideas to minimise smell (any good portable ventilation machines, or any other tricks??), and what should I say to him about the health risks? He wants to see the MSDS sheets for my monomer, and while I've read them, he's quite uptight about things and will expect me to be wearing a hazmat suit if he reads them!

I guess I'm just looking for some guidance and some support - I want to just tell him to go to h**l about this, but I know that won't really help the situation. He's so critical about our industry anyway (he's a medical safety expert and ALWAYS looks for the "worst case scenario" with every situation) - the fact we use UV lamps (which cause cancer, don't we know!!!) and all these dangerous chemicals... but he doesn't seem to mind the money I bring home!

Ug. I'm very frustrated.

Thanks for listening!
Dawn

Men (not all) are always the same,they always have something to moan about when you are trying to make a go of your career,(must be the age old tradition of being the Alpha male\Beta female scenario).

you can't ask every client's husband to wear a mask in their own house & can't exactly carry a huge top of the range nail table with you.Cabin's are ideal ,they can be built to suit your garden size. My husband is very supportive of anything i do (and say :lol:)but he does moan about the occasional whiff of peppermint and Tea tree smells as i said it's bliss compared to his smelly feet. Allowing plenty of ventilation to flow through the room your working in works,even having a fan on helps.IMO they won't make anymore fuss after seeing a healthy bank balance and the holiday you should have had years ago.

I just had to add this saying for the girls that are married ,hope it cheers you all up.

Marriage is an institution in which a man loses his Bachelor's Degree and
the
woman gets her Masters.
:lol:

Latest posts

Back