My legs are not normal when they are waxed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I'm quite new to waxing (3 times). Bikini and underarms fine, but when I have my legs done, literally before she's done my thighs the bottom half of my legs are totally lumpy, around each and every hair follicle like, swells up (looks a bit like hundreds of midgy bites but without the red middle). The thighs then follow suit a few minutes later. The therapist has given me an after waxing cream which probably helps but even she says it's not normally how legs react!

This goes down about 5-6 hours later and things are then fine so it won't stop me going back but I just wondered if there's anything I can do to help? I have a hot bath before going to try and open the pores. Any other ideas please? Thank you xx

My legs always go like that. Looks like I've got a severe red, lumpy rash and I've been having my legs waxed for over 6 years now.

I have a hot bath before going to try and open the pores. Any other ideas please? Thank you xx
The plucked chicken effect is normal, but your reaction sounds a bit different.
Not sure if this will completely cure your reaction, but do not have a hot bath before waxing.:eek: That's a contraindication, did your therapist not tell you this?
Your skin can't handle all this trauma, no wonder it reacts. You have a hot bath, that sensitises it, the therapist applies hot wax (which will open your pores), that sensitises it more, then she rips the wax of your (already tender) pins. I'm surprised your legs don't disown you.:lol:
Try taking an anti-histamine the day you're waxed and not a hot bath, you may get much less of a reaction.

Mine go like that too.
Lisa
xxxx

I always get that reaction on my legs, it doesn't last for more than 2-3 hours though. I have a cool shower and exfoliate (to help budge any ingrown hairs) on the morning of my waxing and miss out the moisturiser that I'd normally apply. I don't put anything else on my skin until the following day and haven't had any other problems.

alot of my clients get what i called chicken skin after a leg wax

i give them an aftercare leaflet and some after wax lotion

it will usually calm dowm within a matter of hours

i also give them pre treatment hints also

mine do too , so you aint on your own :lol:

I'm quite new to waxing (3 times). Bikini and underarms fine, but when I have my legs done, literally before she's done my thighs the bottom half of my legs are totally lumpy, around each and every hair follicle like, swells up (looks a bit like hundreds of midgy bites but without the red middle). The thighs then follow suit a few minutes later. The therapist has given me an after waxing cream which probably helps but even she says it's not normally how legs react!

This goes down about 5-6 hours later and things are then fine so it won't stop me going back but I just wondered if there's anything I can do to help? I have a hot bath before going to try and open the pores. Any other ideas please? Thank you xx

I'm a bit concerned your therapist told you weren't normal!! Everybody reacts to waxing differently, some people are more sensitive than others, i for instance prefer having my bikini waxed to my legs but i know plenty of people that have been having thier legs waxed for years but can't stand having thier bikini done, so everybody is different.

As long as your reaction has subsided after 24 hours don't worry, even if your therapist classes you as abnormal!!:)

Just a suggestion....would a little pre-wax oil (huberella-stylee!) help tone this reaction down somewhat....?

Just a suggestion....would a little pre-wax oil (huberella-stylee!) help tone this reaction down somewhat....?

The pre-oil won't really help to tone it down, however, a good product such as PFB Vanish applied right after waxing will take those bumps down much faster. And the reaction is perfectly normal. Regular waxing every 4 weeks will eventually tone down this reaction as well.

Thanks girlies for your help. xx

hey
the reaction your describing is erythema this is perfectly normal if it goes down after a few hrs. some people react worse than others.
Ask your therapist if there is also a chance that you could have folliclitus, this is like erythema but looks worse n come up swollen. If you do have folliculitus and the creams dont work then it is best if you leave waxing all together

hey
the reaction your describing is erythema this is perfectly normal if it goes down after a few hrs. some people react worse than others.
Ask your therapist if there is also a chance that you could have folliclitus, this is like erythema but looks worse n come up swollen. If you do have folliculitus and the creams dont work then it is best if you leave waxing all together

It's not going to be folliculitis if the reaction in the waxed area disappears after 5-6 hours.

As you say, it will just be erythema :green:

As Amy said, folliculitis would be a much more severe reaction.
I still think the main problem is over stimulation of the skin prior to waxing by having a hot bath. A basic contraindication that will cause a more severe reaction than normal.

I never told her I'd had a hot bath! I thought I'd be opening the hair follicles and it might help! (Guess that's cos I'm a nail technician and not a beauty therapist :lol: :lol: ! Thanks for all your replies girlies, they are much appreciated!

I never told her I'd had a hot bath! I thought I'd be opening the hair follicles and it might help! (Guess that's cos I'm a nail technician and not a beauty therapist :lol: :lol: ! Thanks for all your replies girlies, they are much appreciated!

Actually, you are correct. hot bath prior to waxing should not cause an adverse reaction.

Some people are just more sensitive than others. Those little red bumps that appear after waxing are histamines rushing to the sight of injury and are perfectly normal... some people just get them worse than others.

Latest posts

Back