My little boy's got really flaky nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soz

Reaction score
Hi guys

My little boy who's three and half seems to have developed really (and I mean really) flaky nails and several have split right accross half way down (both toenails and fingernails) so the top half of the nail comes off much to his distress.

Why is this and what can I do about it?

I'm sorry that I can't really help you but my point is, if no one replys with a decent answer then pm one of the geeks who you know will know either the cause or possible remedy. It's not difficult to work out who the obvious contenders for the pm would be, so lets hope they get back to you before you get onto them :lol: :lol:

Hope your little man 'gets better' soon.

Sonia

hi my little one of the same age picks his nails and makes them flaky ,i have even put him topcaot on em , but he still does it , when i ask him why he just says 'i got raggy bits !!' but it is really frustrating , this is no use probably lol , what about a nail treatment like nailtiques i think they do em for flaky nails , hope this helps

I've been REALLY worried about my son Jack (18months). His two big toe nails seem to be too wide for his toes. They go through a cycle of splitting away at the edge - like a massive hangnail, but it seperates right down to the cuticle. It's always really sore, and he usually ends up getting an infection in it, then after about 2 days it comes away and heals up. His toe nails are not long - in fact they don't seem to grow at all - i hardly ever have to clip them. He wears no shoes or socks whenever he's indoors. The doctor said she did'nt know what it was, and if it continues he may have to have the nail removed :cry: and I really don't want this. What's more, my daughter who's now 8 has EXACTLY the same thing on her two toes, but my other son doesn't - anht help would be gratefully appreciated....

Hi there

Does your child have his hands in water a lot? Or spend ages in a bath, if the water is akaline this would affect the nails too. Could be diet as well, or trauma to the nails.

With regards to toenails (other lady) why not take your child to see a chiropodist to get some advice.

Regards
Deb379

Isn't this one of the things that solar oil is supposed to help with? I was wondering about using it on my son although his problem isn't anywhere near as bad.

HandyAndy said:
Isn't this one of the things that solar oil is supposed to help with? I was wondering about using it on my son although his problem isn't anywhere near as bad.
My son's got a potential nut allergy (family history) so I've been advised that he should avoid contact with nut products until he's at least 5 so because of the almond oil content I'd be a tad nervous...otherwise I would have tried it. Probably being completed neurotic,paranoid and overprotective but then that's what I do best lol!

I have wondered the same things about nut allergies and solar oil. I did ask the question a while back and got some very helpful replies. It seems it should be okay but as an alternative people recommended other oils. Unfortunately I can't remember them so might be worth doing a search. Beleive grapeseed oil was one and onother might have been breaking a vitamin E capsule and using the oil from that.

Maybe Nourish Oil from Star could be an alternative...I used this prior to finding Solar Oil and I think it has no nut extracts but United Beauty could confirm this....hth

Hi,

I have the ingredients for Nourish oil, sorry it's so long after the original post!
Included in the ingredients is:

liquid paraffin
Safflower oil
Grapeseed Oil
Wheatgerm Oil
Evening Primrose Oil
Jojoba Oil
Lime Fragrance
Vitamin A and E
and a preservative system

If you are still unsure, you can call United Beauty Produts for an MSDS. The number is 01773531881.

I hope this helps!

Georgie ;)

Latest posts

Back