My nails are a disaster! I don't know how to do them.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL good for you. I hope you enjoy learning nails, I'm sure you will. Glad you got what you wanted and I'm sure we will hear from you soon. Good luck xxx

hello :)... I am completely new to this site and note there are so many posts in relation to acrylic nails...

Heres the story so far.... !!! I am a beauty student at present and wanted to teach myself how to do acrylic nails.. if im honest, I have 4 children, hub only works part time, am paying for my own beauty course still and funds are a bit tight for me to do a professional course at the mo... so anyway, I bought a box set from my catelogue which includes a cd with all the step by step instructions, it was called "pop acrylic nails".. so lovely I though! im away lol ... the box set come with "nail forms" and from day one I thought I do not want to use the nail forms.. i just want to do it the normal way, the nail form way sounded too long winded.. my teacher at college says I have a steady hand so should be fine doing it without the forms.... anyway because the cd teaches you how to do the nails with the forms, I don't really know how to do it without them... I have done 2 of my friends nails and they fell off after two days so a total disaster really lol ... I have a few questions... sorry if I sound dumb lol but I am unsure of all the technical names at present !!

I can prep the nails fine, and stick on the tips with no probs at all but then the trouble starts.... I need to know whether I need to put the bead of acrylic just from the nail tip down over the rest of the nail plate or does it (the acrylic) need to go all the way down over the white tip too??? and then lol do i file it down afterwards to get it nice and smooth and then do it again or just the once??? this is the part i am stuck on.. a few little pointers would be fantastic for me.. i really do not want to fork out on a training course... im pretty good at learning once I have been told what to do !

Also, do you think the acrylic liquid and powder which came with the set, is not as strong as what you would usually buy? cause i was worried that the nails i did do fell off after two days lol .. total nightmare I know... there is no brand name on the products i used from the box set it just states "acrylic powder and acrylic liquid" lol please dont shoot me for this lol .... its like something out of a horror movie...

anyway the story gets worse lol.. i then thought id buy some powder and liquid from EBAY !!! lol FROM CHINA .. brand name of the liquid is HONGNUO lol it states maximum adhesion monomer and the powder is called Ju HONG... in three colours, clear, white and pink.... i have yet to use these as I first need to get the technique right!!

As im qualified in manicures and pedicures, I am aware of contra indications, contra actions, a&p, etc etc .. its just the method explained to me and then the next question is the best liquid and powder to buy (i.e not too expensive) and where do i get these products from?? we have a sallys services here in wales, but i find it very expensive !!!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your comments, insults, whatever you want to throw at me lol

Kind wishes

Becky xxxxx

Is this message for real???? seriously I have not read any replies yet, but im sure they will be the same as mine,

You can not train yourself surely you can see that by youcoming on here asking us qualified technicians questions? I and others on here are 100% dedicated and passionate about our industry and nail care in general, and for you to expect us to give you advise as you say your good at learning,,,well its shocking and an insult.

Im sorry if you think this is harsh but the reality of it is you dont understand your product chemistry or even terminology, yet you are qualified in manicure pedicure.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

becky please please re-think and give s2 swee squared a ring 08452106060, or pm gigi on here.

I think you will find your sig 5 foundation will be more beneficial and not much more in terms of money kit etc,,also funding could be available to you. xx

becky please please re-think and give s2 swee squared a ring 08452106060, or pm gigi on here.

I think you will find your sig 5 foundation will be more beneficial and not much more in terms of money kit etc,,also funding could be available to you. xx

Hiya, thanks for your replies everybody! I have already booked and paid for my nail course with The Cardiff School of Beauty now ad shall be doing it on Monday! howeber, i may take your advice in the future when i can afford my next course! its quite an old post this one and was a few monts ago i initially started this post .... as i think i may have offended a few people (unintentionally), i was just popping by to let you all know that I took the advice and booked a course.... as opposed to thinking i could teach myself which i know myself is utter boll** lol kind wishes to you all Becky xx

Good luck Becky with your course :) Hope it is the start of a long and enjoyable career and education path for you xxxx

Good luck, and keep on posting on here, it has taught me lots. xx

Becky and Emma you two have been great!!!

How can you possible know what is a good route to take and a bad route to take when it is all new to you!

You have both taken a bit of a gentle battering (meant in a good way) and not got precious as so many have!

You have been given some very good advice on here and that won't change. Good luck with all your next steps. This forum will always be here to help and those that take their career seriously and not take the cheapskate route will always be given the help they need.

Experienced techs on here take a vast amount of pride in their craft and profession and know how long and hard it is to get anywhere. Those that seem to be trying to take the shortest route possible doesn't sit well.

I think both of you will learn a lot here and are on the right route now.

Good luck :hug: (with a lot of hard work)

Thanks very much for your comment too.. and yes im cerrtainly on the right road now!! xxxxx :hug::) xxx

Thanks very much for your comment too.. and yes im cerrtainly on the right road now!! xxxxx :hug::) xxx

You sure are, best of luck with everything hunny :hug:

As everyone else has pointed out Training to be a nail professional is not as easy as it may first seem. It is very costly, it takes time and money and your best option really is to save up and seek the education from a reputable Nail training institution.

But remember the skill does not arrive instantly during the course, for some it takes many years to truly master the art. And as Beckie is finding even when completing training it takes time, patience and lots of practice to become knowledgable and excellent with your technique.

Then once you have mastered it even more years are spent building your reputation.....So ideally if your looking for a quick money earner, becoming a nail tech isnt the way.

Ladies if this is what you want to do for a career then im sure with all the info and advice from here you have found the right path. And what im trying to say is NEVER give up because correct tuition and constant practice is the way.

Last edited:
I think some of the questions on here are rather nasty! I understand that this site is for professionals, but at the same time; why is there a section entitled 'tutorials', surely if you are all professionals, you wouldn't need any tutortials?!?

I am new to this industry myself, I have only ever practiced on myself, not clients. I'm starting a course at december time with a Nail trainer Hand through Essential Nails and I can't wait for it.

I have only ever bought Nail art nail polish off ebay and personally wouldn't trust what you buy off it...

Their our certain ways you to talk to people and some of replies are a bit shocking to me if I'm being completely honest. Pure utter dog abuse given to poor becky - good luck with your course.

Thanks for your opinion. I think it has been well enough explained to the poster the reasons feelings run high and that there is no need for comments like yours which serve no good purpose and only blow the flame into action again. The poster has not made any complaint and in fact has sucked it up and understood ... you should be able to also. In fact this thread has come to a nice friendly conclusion without any further fanning so it is time to close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back