My naturally blonde hair WON'T lift at home OR AT THE SALON

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EveBaby

Reaction score
I will preface this by i know this sounds like a nightmare and i am sorry in advance.

I am naturally light to medium golden blonde. I went bright copper last year (I believe they used semi-permanent color in the salon) and everything was seemingly fine. I’ve gone from box dye black back to my natural hair before this using a color remover and then a tiny bit of salon bleach to get it platinum in one go without too much damage, believe it or not. And i've always preferred doing everything at the salon, the reason for me even using black box dye to begin with was the fact that every hairdresser i made an appointment with refused to dye my blonde hair black.

Similar to my experience with the black hair, the upkeep of getting my roots touched up was annoying me. Before they made me copper i had an almost platinum blonde balayage and since my hair is so blonde naturally and i got the balayage done, my roots blended in really well and i needed to visit my hairdresser only every 3-4 months. Wanted to go back blonde with the same hairdresser, however i moved to another country so i decided to take care of it myself.

My issue is that now in all of a sudden my hair REFUSES to lift. I used a hair color remover without bleach in it and it got the majority of the copper/redness off (same one that got the black box dye off in ONE go), but it naturally turned into a brassy orange mess. It's fine because i was expecting that. Used it again and there wasn’t any effect, seemed like whatever was left of the copper was stubborn and needed to be bleached off and later on toned. Before i went for any bleach i wanted to give my hair a break so I used a purple toner and blue anti-orange shampoo and mask which got my hair to this strawberry blonde-ish color.

Tried to bleach it afterwards in a few days with 6% developer - 0 effect. I was confused. Decided to go into the salon for lifting and blonding. Surely they'd know what they're doing. After a full 1,5h session - ZERO EFFECT. This is the before and after. Looks a bit less warm.. but it's essentially the same. Attaching before/after.

The people in the salon looked very confused and the hair stylists were in fact whispering something about how my hair is still red next to me but couldn’t hear exactly what they were saying. They thought i didn't speak the language but did not want the other clients to hear. And they dared to charge me full price, ask me whether I liked it smiling at me and pretended nothing was wrong in front of me. I just shrugged it off and paid as i was too upset and heartbroken by the whole experience (them being disingenuous to my face, etc.) to even bother arguing or complaining. I paid for a blowout too and they didn't even fully dry my hair and left messy wavy strands on the side...

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 0
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 0
I think what you're explaining could very well be staining from the copper colours. A colour remover or bleach won't remove these unfortunately.
The best thing to do would be to use a deep cleansing shampoo. Or something like Malibu C to remove as much of that build up as possible.

I think what you're explaining could very well be staining from the copper colours. A colour remover or bleach won't remove these unfortunately.
The best thing to do would be to use a deep cleansing shampoo. Or something like Malibu C to remove as much of that build up as possible.
Thank you, i will try.

Which Malibu C treatment would you recommend though @ronray ? Sorry for double-reply 😅

Latest posts

Back