My new client wants to report a bad technician

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n@iledit

Reaction score
Advice on this situation please, a new client has come to me with very sore nails and wants me remove current acrylics and rest the damaged nails to re apply some in a month or so, when i pointed her in the direction of an article regarding mma acrylics she said it describes her nails exactly (e-file on natural nail, no sanitizer was used/seen, fishy odour and cloudy appearance) all of this info together with it being an oriental nail bar, she is not a happy lady and wants to know why they get away with it! So what do i tell her to do? Where should she go?
Thanks geeks.

Didn't want to read and run, but i know people on here have talked about regulation of the industry, is it possible or not?

I can't help you but I would say is tell her not to go back there again, which i can guess she probably wont.

I wonder if they have adequate insurance? Perhaps if she's really concerned a word with the council and they maybe might do a spot check.

I would suggest she goes back to them to complain, not to you. If they do not take her seriously then I would imagine the next thing for her to do is contact Trading Standards.

Just remember that although we feel sorry for clients that have been ripped off by other technicians it is not always the case. Sometimes people just like to complain and if they complain to you about someone else they will probably do the same behind your back.
If she has had a bad experience all you can do is help her get her nails back to good condition, don't get involved with the drama. Point her in the right direction and don't say anything bad about the other salon to her. Who knows she might go back there again and if they know you are saying bad things about them you will be the one to suffer, hope this makes sense, I know what I am trying to say hope it comes across in the right way.

The reason I am saying this is that I did a lovely manicure and pedicure months ago, gel extensions and gel polish on toes, the girl then went to Mauritius for a fortnight and 2 weeks after returning sent me a text saying her nails were a disaster wanted her money back etc etc. It turns out she spent loads of time in the hot tub, the swimming pool, on the beach, doing adventure sports and covering herself in DEET. All against my aftercare advice. She is usually a nail biter and was not happy that I would not do really long nails for her, I did a manageable length. She refused to let me see them and I refused to refund. Anyway she then sent me texts telling me that she has showed them to other salons and nail technicians and they have told her that it was a bad job. My insurance company backed me up and told her to swivel. Of course they would look in a state after all the bashing, picking, chemicals and biting and no infills a whole month later. I was fuming that other technicians were so quick to jump on the bandwagon without knowing the full story.Clients often only tell you what they want you to know. Many really Good Nail professionals use e-files, many really good technicians are Asian too so it might not be good to just assume the worst.

Last edited:
I would suggest she goes back to them to complain, not to you. If they do not take her seriously then I would imagine the next thing for her to do is contact Trading Standards.

Just remember that although we feel sorry for clients that have been ripped off by other technicians it is not always the case. Sometimes people just like to complain and if they complain to you about someone else they will probably do the same behind your back.
If she has had a bad experience all you can do is help her get her nails back to good condition, don't get involved with the drama. Point her in the right direction and don't say anything bad about the other salon to her. Who knows she might go back there gain and if they know you are saying bad things about them you will be the one to suffer, hope this makes sense, I know what I am trying to say hope it comes across in the right way.

The reason I am saying this is that I did a lovely manicure and pedicure months ago, gel extensions and gel polish on toes, the girl then went to Mauritius for a fortnight and 2 weeks after returning sent me a text saying her nails were a disaster wanted her money back etc etc. It turns out she spent loads of time in the hot tub, the swimming pool, on the beach, doing adventure sports and covering herself in DEET. All against my aftercare advice. She is usually a nail biter and was not happy that I would not do really long nails for her, I did a manageable length. She refused to let me see them and I refused to refund. Anyway she then sent me texts telling me that she has showed them to other salons and nail technicians and they have told her that it was a bad job. My insurance company backed me up and told her to swivel. Of course they would look in a state after all the bashing, picking, chemicals and biting and no infills a whole month later. I was fuming that other technicians were so quick to jump on the bandwagon without knowning the full story.Clients often only tell you what they want you to know. Many really Good Nail professionals use e-files, many really good technicians are Asian too so it might not be good to just assume the worst.
Well said

I was going to say the same. I wouldn't get involved. I had a lady who complained about other salons and then I was working at a event (not beauty related) and she came up and started telling me about her nails and how they didn't last and were a mess in front of people. I was mortified and went home in tears. This lady was always complaining about everyone and was actually suing her local shop at the time. She's now on my "no appointments available" list as I won't touch her with a barge pole. Not saying this lady is like this but just be wary. I wouldn't have anything to do with it.

If she has had a bad experience all you can do is help her get her nails back to good condition, don't get involved with the drama. Point her in the right direction and don't say anything bad about the other salon to her. Who knows she might go back there again and if they know you are saying bad things about them you will be the one to suffer, hope this makes sense, I know what I am trying to say hope it comes across in the right way.

The reason I am saying this is that I did a lovely manicure and pedicure months ago, gel extensions and gel polish on toes, the girl then went to Mauritius for a fortnight and 2 weeks after returning sent me a text saying her nails were a disaster wanted her money back etc etc. It turns out she spent loads of time in the hot tub, the swimming pool, on the beach, doing adventure sports and covering herself in DEET. All against my aftercare advice. She is usually a nail biter and was not happy that I would not do really long nails for her, I did a manageable length. She refused to let me see them and I refused to refund. Anyway she then sent me texts telling me that she has showed them to other salons and nail technicians and they have told her that it was a bad job. My insurance company backed me up and told her to swivel. Of course they would look in a state after all the bashing, picking, chemicals and biting and no infills a whole month later. I was fuming that other technicians were so quick to jump on the bandwagon without knowing the full story.Clients often only tell you what they want you to know. Many really Good Nail professionals use e-files, many really good technicians are Asian too so it might not be good to just assume the worst.

I agree totally - but just to add that you only have the clients word that other therapists dissed your work. They might have not said anything - she might have just said it to add weight to her complaint. As we know, where moneys concerned you can see people at their worst!!!

Don't get involved at all as the salon involved could also badmouth you in return and could damage your own business.

The simple reason these salons get away with it is that clients go to them over and over again! I have seen people who have obvious damage to their nails who still go back because they are quick and convenient.:D

She could go to Habia.

I was going to say the same. I wouldn't get involved. I had a lady who complained about other salons and then I was working at a event (not beauty related) and she came up and started telling me about her nails and how they didn't last and were a mess in front of people. I was mortified and went home in tears. This lady was always complaining about everyone and was actually suing her local shop at the time. She's now on my "no appointments available" list as I won't touch her with a barge pole. Not saying this lady is like this but just be wary. I wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I'm not looking forward to getting someone like this in the future, It might happen hope to god it doesn't, I wouldn't kow how to deal with them! :sad:

Hi geeks sorry for the delay in reply, these nails have clearly been over filed she has deep ridges that are a orange/red colour in what would have been the cuticle area (now grown a little) the nails are still on so i don't know about underneath but surely this can't be her fault, i know what you are saying but this is not the only client to have come to me with seriously sore nails from this salon! I want to help her and other clients but at the same remain professional and not slate another salon even thou they are doing wrong, like say it could/they could bite me in the backside I told her to go back to them and complain and left it at that! But what I really would like is for some1 to keep an eye on our industry so we wouldn't be in this situation and clients were safer!
Thanks for all the advice geeks.

Regulating the industry is being looked into by Habia, who are talking about a licensing scheme, but it would be voluntary as the government don't want to get involved. It is something I feel strongly about. However, even though a voluntary system might not be ideal it's going to better than nothing! X

I agree its better than nothing x

Latest posts

Back