My Own Salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wondernail

Reaction score
Well sick of renting a space from others I have decided to go it alone and today put in an offer on a property (rental) and it has been accepted.

Hence it is nearly 4am and I can't sleep with half excitement and half worry.

It is a large property, and I am going to section it off with a separate room for waxing and indian head massage, and special occassions make up, and the front of the shop for nails and there is a very large basement room which is perfect for a Reiki master i know who is looking for a room to rent or maybe for swedish massage.

I plan to rent out a table to another nail tech as in these inital stages there is no way I can afford to hire any staff....but I will one day!!!

It is in a town where a lot of investment is taking place and is sardine-like busy especially on market days. So I really have high hopes I want to bring a little piece of Cardiff to the Valleys!! I have already got the leather sofas and nail bars to go in it (I have been saving them in my garage for such an occassion!!)

I am in the inital stages...I have got to come up with a massive bond and 3 months rent up front (I am not sure how I am getting this) but beg or borrow i will do it. I have also got to get a solicitor for the deal to go through...I am not sure why...is it not like renting a house...do you not just sign on the dotted line???

Well those are my plans, any ideas, or inspirations would be welcome and you are all welcome to my kick-ass opening night!!!

Angela, this sounds so exciting! I wish you loads and loads of luck, can't wait to hear how it goes!

Several tips I can give you after my failed attempts at trying to open a salon ...

The banks literally chucked money at me, in fact that was the only east bit. Borrow way more than you think you'll need, you'll be surprised how it all mounts up.

You most certainly do need a solicitor to check the terms of the lease. Mine said that the terms I was asked for were out of order and advised me to renegotiate. Grumpy the landlord wouldn't, and so I pulled out. The shop is still standing empty - has been for 9 months now. I wouldn't recommend a verbal agreement either. your landlord could be come very unreasonable if he wanted to - increasing the rent etc.

You need to check that it is okay to sublet space as well.

I wish you luck, I always thought that having my own salon was my dream, it turned out not so. Have to say I'm so glad I didn't do it!

All the best in your new venture. Good luck.
:D

Congratulations Angela, you've got all the hard work ahead of you now to get it all ready for your opening night, sounds as if you've been planning it for a while being as you've hoarded stuff in your garage :D
Hope all goes well for you xxx

well done - hope it all goes well for you
dont forget to post pics of it when its completed

Wow Angela - you go girl. Good luck with your new venture and keep us posted on how you get on.:D

Good luck!

We're going to the solictors next week to have our contract checked and sorted for when we open our shop too.

I'm doing the same as you letting sections of the shop out, i'm going to the job centre as well to see if i can get a new deal person in to answer the phone and assist me as well.

new deal...thats a thought, how much do you have to pay them?

It is not the paying them I am so worried about, it is the paid sick leave, paid holidays.

Knowing my luck i would hire someone would then take 28 weeks off sick and i would have to pay them stat sick pay for nothing. So I am really not fussed on hiring anyone.

Further to that I do not have a vast amount of cash as I am not borrowing from the bank it is coming out of personal funds which are very limited.
But if it goes wrong at least i am not in debt up to my eyeballs!!!!!!!!

Thats why I have got things as I go along..knowing that one day I will have a salon so I have got stuff for it as I have gone along so I dont have so much for find.

Good luck Angela :) How exciting for you hun, sound like it is going to be great!!

Promise to keep us informed how you do :) xxxx

You go Wondernail and the best of luck to you.... sounds very exciting!!! :hug:

Congratulations Angela and I wish you all the best.

I do think its a good idea for a solicitor to go over the terms of the lease - for your own protection and peace of mind hun :)

Please keep us informed how it is all going alond with some pics

Jo xxx

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!

wish you all the success in your new venture. i would get a solicitor to look over your lease, i did and got the landlord to change a few things, like him paying his own solicitors fees!!

It said in the information that they still get paid by the job centre and you get paid by the job centre for having them, because your helping them back to work.

Dawn
wondernail said:
new deal...thats a thought, how much do you have to pay them?

It is not the paying them I am so worried about, it is the paid sick leave, paid holidays.

Knowing my luck i would hire someone would then take 28 weeks off sick and i would have to pay them stat sick pay for nothing. So I am really not fussed on hiring anyone.

Further to that I do not have a vast amount of cash as I am not borrowing from the bank it is coming out of personal funds which are very limited.
But if it goes wrong at least i am not in debt up to my eyeballs!!!!!!!!

Thats why I have got things as I go along..knowing that one day I will have a salon so I have got stuff for it as I have gone along so I dont have so much for find.

Glad you've mentioned this, because we've been asked to pay the solictors fees for the lease and we thought well is that right, because we didn't understand why we had to pay theirs and ours. We speaking to solictor on monday.

bling nails said:
YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!

wish you all the success in your new venture. i would get a solicitor to look over your lease, i did and got the landlord to change a few things, like him paying his own solicitors fees!!

Best of luck Angela, hope all your dreams come true!!!!

xxxx

Wish you all the luck in the world :D

Latest posts

Back