My reaction to monomer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jellytot1978

Reaction score
owwch i would switch to gel for your own personal health its not worth the money you get from nails to the doc bills!

OOh hun I so feel for you Ive had an alergic reaction for months to MONOMER, I cant even wear acrylic extensions now , Ive considered converting to gel , but l & p seems to be in demand around here.

You need to get to the docs , get something to clear it up, yours looks alot angrier than what mine was.

Gloves alone wont work, I can tell you this...Nitrile ones at that ...I stick Vaseline on my fingers, wrap them up in flexi wrap and put Nitrile gloves on ...does seem to help a lot...but I must admit its not much fun working in sloppy gloves...really does make me want to do a gel conversion...luckily I only do nails part time at the moment so Im persavering..xxx

Last edited:
Gosh this is a severe reaction you are having. It looks so sore too.

Are you sure you are not having contact between your hands and the monomer? A few questions - Is there monomer going on your gloves? It might be passing through the plastic. Are you touching the product bottles before you have your gloves on and pouring out the monomer, etc? Are you tidying up your desk after you have finished with no gloves on? Could you be allergic to the gloves?

I hope you get to the bottom of it and your hands heal soon. xx

OMG your thumb looks like it has been skinned! :eek: Get to the docs hun xx

OMG your thumb looks like it has been skinned! :eek: Get to the docs hun xx

I went he gave me some cream which didn't help and some barrier cream which also didn't help.

I have just bought a product called gloves in bottle that i have read is great, have not tested it yet tho, im trying to find anything that will help because i love acrylic and being a nail tech, its all i ever wanted to do, im so upset about it:cry:

Why do you all think gel will solve your allergy problems?? Gels are the very product MOST likely to cause sensitivity.

Next on the list is odourless L&P

This is why it is so confusing when you say you are allergic to ACRYLIC ... ALL nail products are acrylic. So it would be so much more helpful of you actually told us what you are using L&P, OF L&P, Gels, wraps etc. these are the correct terms to use ... saying acrylic tells me nothing about what you are using.. Your profile says Absolute ... this is an odour free L&P correct?? .... chances are very strong that if you changed to a normal L&P you would not react to it.

Gels and odour free systems have an UNREACTED sticky layer that some skin is very sensitive to. That sticky layer or roll off layer will react with you! This is why gels and OF products cause more allergies than any other systems. It is not Acrylic you are allergic to but some chemical in the L&P system you are using.

• Did you wear gloves throughout the whole service??
  • Did you do your filing and finishing without gloves?
  • Did you handle any files or get into any dust at any time without gloves on?
My guess is that you did.

Last edited:
Please let us know how you get on with the stuff please, Id be interested to know if it works as I really hate wearing gloves.:hug:

Why do you all think gel will solve your allergy problems?? Gels are the very product MOST likely to cause sensitivity.

This is why it is so confusing when you say you are allergic to ACRYLIC ... ALL nail products are acrylic. So it would be so much more helpful of you actually told us what you are using L&P, OF L&P, Gels, wraps etc. these are the correct terms to use ... saying acrylic tells me nothing about what you are using.. Your profile says Absolute ... this is an odour free L&P correct?? .... chances are very strong that if you changed to a normal L&P you would not react to it.

Gels and odour free systems have an UNREACTED sticky layer that some skin is very sensitive to. That sticky layer or roll off layer will react with you! This is why gels and OF products cause more allergies than any other systems. It is not Acrylic you are allergic to but some chemical in the L&P.

I used to use opi clarite which is odour free and on your reccommendation the last time i asked for help i switched back to the smelly kind which is absolute, and it has just got worse, absolute is normal smelly acrylic.

I used to use opi clarite which is odour free and on your reccommendation the last time i asked for help i switched back to the smelly kind which is absolute, and it has just got worse, absolute is normal smelly acrylic.

Well at least this tells us that there is some chemical in BOTH systems that is causing this. Perhaps because they both come from the same stable.

Time to get some try me kits of other products (that are genuinely different) and try them out on one nail at a time to see the way the land lies. Try Retention plus or Radical. You will only know by trying. Not all products contain the same chemicals.

Gels and odour free systems have an UNREACTED sticky layer that some skin is very sensitive to. That sticky layer or roll off layer will react with you! This is why gels and OF products cause more allergies than any other systems. It is not Acrylic you are allergic to but some chemical in the L&P system you are using.

Hello Geeg...sorry for being stupid!...but what does OF stand for?

as geeg is not online.....odour free i am guessing.
xx

Are you sure it is the monomer. I have this same thing but only on my right hand. It is not my brush hand. I have eliminated everything it possibly can be and am now convinced it is a reaction to acetone products. I use my right hand for polish removers, scrub fresh etc.
just a thought ....

Whatever the causes are, don't just ignore it, because it wont go away, even if it seems so and comes and goes occasionally. I left my skin on the bathroom floor last summer, and it was my gel. The things were worse during the hay fever period, because my immunity was a wreck. I tried lots of products till I found the safe one. At least I tried so many that now I think I could make nails out of anything ;)
So look at the bright side - you'll try and learn lots of stuff.
Good luck :hug:

Latest posts

Back