My Shellac is lifting peeling... help me out!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

den24

Reaction score
hello Geeks,

Ive been having nightmares with my shellac and still practicing on family as so unconfident. hence annnoyed as loosing money.

So far only done it on me mum (has shellac over acrylics) and mother inlaw. only prob with mother in law peeled the first time all over, but i think it was half my falut and the other half hers as she was doing a big clean and prep a bbq to feed an army the day after. however the second time only onle nail has peeled completly off in whole????? whats going on???

Im using cuticle remover removing cuticles <~~~could this be the reason?
Using Scrub fresh to dehydrate
base coat - cure 10 secs
2 x Colour coat - curing 2 mins each time
Top coat - curing 2 mins
Dsperse to take sticky layer away.

Sealing the free edge with all coats also..

im really worried as im loosing my confidence.

Have you done a class?

There are also so many helpful videos that show you everything you could possibly ever want to know? fingernailfixer shellac videos - YouTube

Are you doing all these things?

Look - when you polish and layer you have to be a good polisher - you need to float the colours on nice and smooth and without dragging the brush through the Shellac and creating thin spots - it's all in the touch of the brush which of course should be 'feather light' at all times. You can learn very quickly by attending a 'Shellac Brings them Back' class.

Most of the time I use two coats of the base colour and then one coat of the semi sheer layering colour, but not always depending on how opaque the first colour is.

If people are not doing all of these things then they will not be giving a CND Shellac Service.

You should be using: CND Shellac Base Coat, Color Coat and Top Coat for all CND Shellac services.

You should be using: the Brisa™ or CND UV Lamp for all CND Shellac services.

You should: not mix or pair CND Shellac with ANY non-CND/Shellac products such as base coats, top coats or color coats.

You should: not file the natural nail surface during application or removal of CND Shellac.

You should not: soak client's nails in a bowl of acetone to remove CND Shellac.

You should be: performing a manicure using ScrubFresh™ to P.E.P. (Perform the manicure, Eliminate surface contaminants and Purify the nail plate layers) the natural nail prior to a CND Shellac application. Most do a dry PEP but you have to know what you are doing to do this well.

You should be using: D-Sperse (99% IPA) to remove the tacky layer at the end of a CND Shellac service.

You should be using: SolarOil™ to condition the nail and cuticle area.

You should be using: D-Solve and CND Shellac Remover Wraps (or foil & cotton removal method) for removal of CND Shellac.

Hi Gigi,

Yes i have done a course with the beauty academy and was pleased with the training. yes im following all correct steps and have the correct kit. just wondering if it could be the cuticle remover stopping the base coat from adearing to the nail properly hence the lifting of the whole nail in one piece 2nd time round? as it has not lifted or chiped on my mum who has acrylics or myself whom i didnt use the remover on...any avice welcome

Hi Gigi,

Yes i have done a course with the beauty academy and was pleased with the training. yes im following all correct steps and have the correct kit. just wondering if it could be the cuticle remover stopping the base coat from adearing to the nail properly hence the lifting of the whole nail in one piece 2nd time round? as it has not lifted or chiped on my mum who has acrylics or myself whom i didnt use the remover on...any avice welcome

Well as I say, I only do a dry prep so I would try that and see the difference.

You do need to wash off the Cuticle Away thoroughly if using it and before using ScrubFresh and the nail surface must be dry or it definitely would have a bad effect on adhesion.

I've done both dry pep and also used Cuticle Away...both without problems.

Sometimes I think that our Shellac clients treat their nails as if they have enhancements. That could also cause problems.

Have you Shellac'd your own nails? How does it last on you? A wise woman (see above poster) told me we are our best guinea pigs. We KNOW what we do with our nails.

HTH and best of luck! :)

yep ive done it on my own nails and they look great and are growing nicely too! even put swarovski stones on and they staied on for nearly a week before i caught one and ... i know mine wouldnt come off unless i had a good pick at em. and im really naught no gloves when washing cleaning etc... plus im a carer so always busy with my hands... its just really baffeling me as the mother in law has had it done at a salon twice before i qualified and she rarely had chiping. plus ive had it on me toes for nearly 3 weeks and still look as good as new. im at a loss and the only thing i can think of is that im not getting the whole of the cuticle remover off hence base not bonding well? spesh if it peeled off in one piece... what to do???? im taking mums acrylics off this week and will put shellac on her natural nails to compare and see if theres a difference in the two women.

Hi Gigi,

Just a heads up hun the Beauty academy is not giving CND's Shellac training, it is their own version of shellac training. You wont get an official Shellac certificate just a beauty academy own certificate.
Jen

Thanks for the replys, My course may not be with cnd but if s2 deem is sufficient to gain a membership with me then im happy!

just on here trying to pick up tips, tricks and advice from fellow geeks as we all kjnow how hard it is to start up and we are always learning new things from day to day!

Thanks for the replys, My course may not be with cnd but if s2 deem is sufficient to gain a membership with me then im happy!

just on here trying to pick up tips, tricks and advice from fellow geeks as we all kjnow how hard it is to start up and we are always learning new things from day to day!

I think what Jen is saying is that CND educators teach with Shellac the best, and they do, without doubt. So if you watch the videos that I posted above done by CND Educator of the year 2011 (Holly Schippers/aka FingernailFixer) I think you will pick up all those CND tips and tricks you need. Plus a CND class is always fun and I would recommend it too.

May I ask what you need to do for a dry prep. I applied my shellac last Thursday and have just had my fore finger shellac completely peel off. My nails are quite short so it's tricky to cap. I have been trying in vain to book onto a shellac course since mid august but am still waiting for dates from the trainer. I will keep practising though

Latest posts

Back