my silks are not looking clear

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kez

Reaction score
hey, i am new to all this so just finding my feet, what i have read so far has really helped me but i still have a problem.When doing my infills for silk(just changed from old creative system to new fabric system) mine and my colleagues nails are left a little hazy. let me explain you know the look you get if the fabric is showing through it is a bit like that but it is not the fabric like a speckled look but not bubbles, i cant even explain it. Could it be that apply my layers of bond to quick so they don't dry evenly, or when prepping the nail have I stratched into the surface of the old silk, or what? can anyone help, me and my clients would really appreciate it x x

When I do a rebalance with silk or Fibreglass, I never 'patch', but always put a complete strip on again.

Apply BOND Slowly and 'pat' it into the fabric working from cuticle to tip. Slow is the key.

Remember that a slightly hazy look is how silk usually looks even when your application is perfect. That is just the nature of silk. The more layers the hazier it is. Some client prefer this look.

If you want complete clarity use Fibreglass.

i get that look to :twisted: i havent worked out what im doing wrong either have tried it all the ways that ruth and geeg have said and still get that kinda bubbly speckled look very very frustrating :twisted: :shock: im wondering if my silk and fibreglass has been contaminated .it happens when i use silk or fibreglass strips.going to one stop nail shop on monday and will buy some more and try again with it,let me know if you figure it out

Hi ya Hun,
I think you have just answered your own question there, bless ya...........

Yes apply the bond slowly to the silk, stipple it so it covers all the little silky bits...................
I found Silk absorbs more bond then fibreglass, so it requires a nit more working in..........
I always bond my silk 2x, just to make sure.............

hope this helps
Love Ruth xxxx

i bond x2 - makes no difference,(the silk goes clear then the speckles and bubbly kind look appears) this is on new sets as well.if i had a decent camera i would post a pic,but i havent :(

Well hun specled is not the look is it.
Silk is more softer in the finished look then Fibreglass..............
That looks crisp and clear.........

Just a thought......how do you pat the silk in place????
With your fingers????? That will transfere some of the oils from your fingers on to the silk,if you use just your fingers, the oils in the fingertips will repel the Bond and it will not saturate the Silk, pat it in place with the backing strip and you should be fine...............

just a thought
love Ruth xxxx

I have never seen this phenomenon.

Are you using the Fabric# ... silk and fibreglass?

If not it may be the adhesive on the back which is being affected by the thin BOND. Don't know but it sounds like it is sort of floating off in places!!
Hard to tell when one can't see what you are doing.

disappointing!

always use the backing strip anyway ,got into that habit when i used a different fibreglass system so it cant be that,god its so frustrating :(

yep geeg im using the silk and fibre glass that came with the fabric .and also used some backscratcher silk and millieum(spelling) silk it happened with all of them .but ido keep them all in the same plastic bag

Right girls I have to admit, the only time I had the speckled look was..........
When i picked up the build instead of the bond. Thicker Resin and it didn't soak in as well................
Then looked at the bottle and thought.............You silly sod..... no wonder it looks like that lol..........
But honest that was the only time.......

Love Ruth xxxxxxx

hi
my niece had this problem a bit back think her silk had got dusty because i got her a new box of silk and she has not had this problem since she now keeps her silk in a nice clean dust free drawer

nope not that checked the order and bottles many times lol.will let you know how i get on when i buy some more silk and fibreglass

HEY, thanx Geeg and others, its nice to know it does have that slight hazy look, i was starting to think it was something i was doing wrong and i was the only one with the problem. my silk is always kept in the box in a nice clean draw. I always use backing strip to smooth the strip over. after reading what you wrote i went away and experimented on my own nails.
prepared nail, aha koala scrubfresh etc
layer of bond allow to dry
apply tip trim and blend
dusted any dust away
apply silk and stress strip
layer of bond patted in nice and slow (as suggested by Geeg)
allow to dry apply 2nd layer of bond still slow and patting
apply build slowly, dry then 2nd layer of build slowly then spritz with blast 2-3 times.
apply bead of boost then apply activator (brush on)
finish edges with hotshot file but most work with white sanding block and girlriend etc.
HOW DOES THAT SOUND?

I found the two layers of bond when patted in slowly worked best(before i was brushing it on) as geeg said. they do look less hazy than before but most of the hazy stuff is concentrated in the stress area, like you said more silk more haze. I am happier than before with them but any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated x x xx x

A little more info ... as requested!

Silk is a natural fibre and Fibreglass is not ... as I'm sure I don't have to tell you ... only to clarify that as such, Silk soaks up MUCH more of the BOND while the fibreglass just sits in between the layers and doesn't actually soak up anything!

For added clarity I would apply the 1st layer of silk and then one layer of BOND and THEN I would apply the 2nd layer (stress strip if desired) and use BOND again. The result will be more clear than if trying to do 2 layers at once.

Then I apply BUILD - activate with ONE spray to each hand.

Before I BOOST, I use the Koala buffer or similar smooth (240g) buffer, and have a little buff around the edges to make sure everything is smooth, and then I BOOST (2-3 times) and then finish to shine.

But remember that the number of layers you choose to do is really up to you. You can customize the system how you like as long as the sequence is upheld.

Have fun!

hi ya geeg and ruth maybe you could have a think on this one for me?
i have a customer who had a set of Fabric# silks put on about 11 days ago went over last night to repair two lost nails (by her own admission her doing) she had picked at the corner of most of the tips where the smile line begins she also had a fair old amount of lifting on thumb and a few fingers :shock: (but being a picker this didnt suprise me!) as the overall condition was not good we decided a new set was in order. :?
this time i have doubled up on bond, build and boosted her three times so hopefully it should do the job :) ! but my customer asked if maybe the use of atrixo hand cream on her nails and cuticals (which she used instead of cutical oil) would have encouraged the lifting?
mmmmmm good point i thought or was most of the damage down to her picking :evil: ! she seems to think she was not picking at her enhancements around the lifting only at the smile lines of the tips although she was realy rubbing in atrixo hand cream instead of cutical oil so i wondered if atrixo is to blame here! :?:
i have told her to use cutical oil which she will do now but it would be interesting to know if hand creams can have the effect of causing lifting ? maybe an ingrediant within the lotions?
thanks girls nickki jonesx

Here goes my bimbo brain again (I don`t have a head for remembering loads of things, but things do float around in there so I may be getting things a bit muddled)
Doesn`t atrixo contain mineral oil??????? I thought enhancements needed to avoid mineral oil

hi deb mmmmmm dunno luv thing is i dont have a tube of atrixo to hand i will take a look in the supermarket tommorrow if i remember lol you know what its like stuff totally flys out of your head lol! can anyone else shed any light on it?nickki jonesx

nailsbynicola said:
hi deb mmmmmm dunno luv thing is i dont have a tube of atrixo to hand i will take a look in the supermarket tommorrow if i remember lol you know what its like stuff totally flys out of your head lol! can anyone else shed any light on it?nickki jonesx

I will eat my hat (and my own extensions come to think of it) if Geeg says Atrixo cream causes lifting! Surely not...now we have to worry and make sure our clients don't use particular brands because they'll ruin their extensions?

Geeg....tell us this isn't so?!!!

It is going a bit far but there is some truth (as always) in some of the information.

Mineral oils such as lanolin and vaseline, baby oil etc, are 'humectants' which means they tend to 'draw moisture out'. Yes ... good ol' vaseline is one of the worst.

Mineral oils sit on TOP of the skin and make it 'feel' moist, but actually do not penetrate the skin and when one stops using it the skin can be in a much drier condition than before one started.

So ... in theory ... mineral oil based products could aid in drying out the overlay product BUT if the client uses a light botanical oil or a mixture of light botanical oils, such as our old favorite SolarOil, it would counteract the drying effect.

Like Vaseline, Atrixo is a very old fashioned product and came along many years before the benefits of botanical oils were discovered. Best if your client changes her product.

Having said all this ... I think your client did more damage than the use of Atrixo could have done in the short time she has been wearing her enhancements.

geeg said:
It is going a bit far but there is some truth (as always) in some of the information.

Mineral oils such as lanolin and vaseline, baby oil etc, are 'humectants' which means they tend to 'draw moisture out'. Yes ... good ol' vaseline is one of the worst.

So ... in theory ... mineral oil based products could aid in drying out the overlay product BUT if the client uses a light botanical oil or a mixture of light botanical oils, such as our old favorite SolarOil, it would counteract the drying effect.

Like Vaseline, Atrixo is a very old fashioned product and came along many years before the benefits of botanical oils were discovered. Best if your client changes her product.

Uh oh...I feel a hat eating moment coming on then.. :shock: - I think I'm definitely going to need some ingredients book or other now Geeg....I've got a couple of clients who have skin problems one of whom I know has to bathe in Balnium daily and the other just smothers herself in E45 all the time...I haven't come upon any problems with them so far (with Fabric# enhancements) but they are relatively new clients and we're just on the second infill...should I be expecting any problems with this do you think? I have no idea what these two products (E45/Balnium) consist of but they are heavy duty emulsifiers I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back