My skin

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[b]ecky jan[e]

Reaction score
Hi all,:hug:
I am currently suffering with bad skin,
i have always got blemishes and when ever i get rid of a few i get more, in different places.
I am currently studing Lv 2 beauty and all the product they are using ther it always seems to make it worse.
I also am looking for different foundations i could use, which are not to rich and oily!! And don't dry out.
I was wondering if anyone has any thing that i could use and doesnt cost a 'BOMB'.
Sorry about the big essay.
Please Please help it would be a great deal off my shoulders!
Thank you :green:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you thought about trying mineral make up? Brilliant for a problematic skin and doesnt irritate it with all those extra added nasties in traditional foundations. x

I agree with the above.

I've always had blemish prone skin and the only makeup that has worked for me in mineral based - I used Jane Iredale

It is a little bit on the pricey side, but here are the upsides of using it:

- doesn't go on caky
- built in SPF
- the concealer has tea tree in it, and actually helps HEAL blemishes
- you can mix the powders together to create diferent tones (ie: you get tanned, or want to create a bronzed effect).
- You can mix the powders with your moisturizer to create a liquide foundation

**Its the best makeup line i've ever used! and my acne has improved dramatically!
---------------------------------------------

And for skin care,

A mask with sulfur in it should do the trick 2-3 times a week.
Proactive has a good one that I've been using for about 4 months now, but I'm sure any mask with at least 6% sulfur with do the trick.

Also, for your cleanser and toner, don't be using anything too strong. A benzol peroxide solution of no more than 2.5% should do just fine. Unless your acne is pretty severe, dont use a drying lotion!! you probably dont need it and your only irritating your skin. And make sure to use a oil-free moisturizer, or a hydrator.

Hope this helps! good luck!

Hi Honey
I have the same problem or did have...
I also have very uneven skin tone and somethings are like you said really cakey. Mineral make up is great, it covers, allows the skin to breathe and gives a flawless finish, a bit like airbrushing. If you suffer with excessive oil use blotting paper for the skin, I do and they are great, the finish effect is like you added a light powder but you haven't so no clogged pores adding to you're already blemished skin:)
x

I had the same problem when I trained (many moons ago!).

I think the combination of lots of products and frequent treatments as we were all practicing away on each other overstimilated it and in the end my skin ws so bad I had to go on Roaccutane.

Can you speak to your tutor to see if you can give your skin a break and not have practicals on it for facial, make up etc? Also, if you have not already, it is worth a trip to the dr's to get started on some anti-biotics.

I also found it really helped to lay off foundation altogether. I know that sounds scary but with careful application of concealer, a dusting of loose powder and the blotting paper sheets during day to mop up shine mentioned in prev post, you really can cover the problem up enough to feel ok.

On another note, am I the only person who does not seem to be able to get a decent coverage with mineral make up?!

- I have some Lily Lola samples and just cannot seem to get anything other than a thin powdery effect from the foundation. Just looks like I have put translucent powder on with no blemish or uneven skin tone covered at all!

What am I doing wrong?!!

On another note, am I the only person who does not seem to be able to get a decent coverage with mineral make up?!

- I have some Lily Lola samples and just cannot seem to get anything other than a thin powdery effect from the foundation. Just looks like I have put translucent powder on with no blemish or uneven skin tone covered at all!

What am I doing wrong?!!

I get fantastic coverage with my minerals. I cant speak for lily lola minerals. But with Bare Escentuals its all about the 'swirl' 'tap' and 'buff' technique. And less is more! Small amount of minerals and buff buff buff.

Its also important what brush you are using. Synthetic brushes will not hold or pick the minerals up as well as a natural haired brush. Id use the brush they recommend.

As well as using one of the Bare Escentual foundations I custom mix by adding a small amount of one of the concealers (bisque) for even more coverage. x

I get fantastic coverage with my minerals. I cant speak for lily lola minerals. But with Bare Escentuals its all about the 'swirl' 'tap' and 'buff' technique. And less is more! Small amount of minerals and buff buff buff.

Its also important what brush you are using. Synthetic brushes will not hold or pick the minerals up as well as a natural haired brush. Id use the brush they recommend.

As well as using one of the Bare Escentual foundations I custom mix by adding a small amount of one of the concealers (bisque) for even more coverage. x

Hi Nikki,

I've just bought myself the bare escentuals range but got the brush that gives light to medium coverage. Do you use the kabuki (if that is spelt right) brush? that's the one that gives more coverage. do you think using the concealer and the kabuki brush would give me better coverage? i've tried my mac kabuki brush but it doesn't seem any better than the brush I got sent with my bare escentuals foundations ~ please help me!! xx

I find that the Kabuki brush works better with mineral based foundations than the lighter coverage brush. Are you using the swirl, tap and buff technique?

I use the handy buki brush. Its almost exactly the same as the kabuki brush but it has a handle which makes it so much easier to hold. And i find the bristles are tighter together so it picks up more of the minerals. Have you tried the maximum coverage face brush? That one is exactly the same as the concealer brush but larger, so you can go over larger areas in almost a 'painting on' technique. With areas that need more coverage (such as blemishes and open pores) I buff over with one of the concealers. It works a treat. x

My top tip is to have a course of glycolic peels as they can completely resurface your skin :hug:

Thank you Theresa and Nicki. I didn't get the kabuki brush with my set so I tried again this weekend with what I had and it worked! I'm so impressed!! It really does cover the imperfections!! Do you both use it on yourselves as well as in the salon? xx

Thank you Theresa and Nicki. I didn't get the kabuki brush with my set so I tried again this weekend with what I had and it worked! I'm so impressed!! It really does cover the imperfections!! Do you both use it on yourselves as well as in the salon? xx

Yes I use it on me and dont think I would go onto anything else now.

I use it on myself and my clients. I recently switched back to my estee lauder double wear for two days and my skin was INSTANTLY foul! I couldnt believe it.
We spend time and money looking after our skin with skincare products, its nice to extend that same care with our make up. xx

Latest posts

Back