My stylist's perm didn't take

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise32

Reaction score
Hello to all,
I am looking for advice with a perm that my stylist did a couple of days ago.
I was not in the salon when she did the perm but the lady returned the next day with her hair straight and pulled back in a pony tail. It looked as if the lady had brushed her hair straight but she says that she has not.
Apparently I found out today that she is very upset and in tears over it as her husband came into the salon today very angry at his wives upset.
As I was not there and have only seen her hair dry I told her to come into the salon tomorrow so I could shampoo her hair to see it wet and see if the perm has worked but what I am worried about is if the perm has not taken what can I do? can I re perm? or what if it has taken bout not very well?
I am a stylist but I have never come across this problem and not sure what my options are as I want her to be happy but don't want to dry her hair out.
Any help or advice would be a great help! xxx

If it doesn't look like its taken at all you need to establish what did happen or not? Perhaps the perm lotion and neutraliser were muddled...
Was a thorough consultation done?
Is the client on any medication?

Before you reperm I would take a rest cutting to perm....

See what the clients hair condition is like to wether you can perm again. Was it blotted properly and the neutraliser applied for the correct amount of time. Also if the clients medication had change or put on something new? Has the client washed her hair as it should be left a few days just thinking what it could bexx hope this helps

Did the stylist condition the hair after washing? The perm strength might not have been strong enough. What sort of perm was it supposed to be?

we use Schwarzcopf perms in the salon iv always found them fantastic!
I was leaving the salon as the lady came into the salon but from what I could see she was indian but didn't have overly thick hair it was just below the shoulder and had colour.
My stylist told me that she used lotion number 2 (which is for coloured hair) and left it on for 10 minutes (which the instructions say to leave it on for 10 to 15)
My stylist says that the hair was curly after the perm and didn't need to much defusing.
As for consultation I personally don't think it was done to well as when the lady came back she said she wanted big curls (that to me sounded like she wanted GHD curls which is a styled look not permed)
but I will know more tomorrow when she comes in. the lady does not speak much English so I think all was said was curly so I do feel my stylist could have used hair magazines and photos so they were both clear on the finished result before starting so the client would have a realistic view on what a perm looks like.
But obviously its a little late for that now so I am not sure what I can do now?

So im hoping that when I shampoo her hair it will be curly! BUT there is still the problem that the client does not like the result as she expected GHD curls.....
So my question is what can I do?
can you re perm?

She expected ghd curls? You won't get a result like that from a perm x

Sorry just read you said that as well x

Why is she in tears about it? She started with straight hair and still has straight hair.

I always would wait 2 weeks to re perm. Also regardless of using the colour perm I would always do a incompatibility test if there is colour on the hair. I find Indian hair very resistant when perming so usually use a perm for that. With the curl if she wanted big curls could you not perm with rollers instead of perm rods & put them in verical like a spiral perm.?

I always would wait 2 weeks to re perm. Also regardless of using the colour perm I would always do a incompatibility test if there is colour on the hair. I find Indian hair very resistant when perming so usually use a perm for that. With the curl if she wanted big curls could you not perm with rollers instead of perm rods & put them in verical like a spiral perm.?

I agree with littlemissm x

So im hoping that when I shampoo her hair it will be curly! BUT there is still the problem that the client does not like the result as she expected GHD curls.....
So my question is what can I do?
can you re perm?
test cutting! xx

Latest posts

Back