My tip for a neater smile line

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelaznailz

Reaction score
As you're all so good at helping with advice and tips, here's my offering I thought I'd share with you.
When I'm doing a French polish, I mainly use Creative's Cream Puff (white). So, so make life a teensy bit easier for myself, I've cut the bristles of the brush into a narrower (more tapered) shape. This allows me to put the enamel exactly where I want it.
When I've finished the bottle of enamel, I just swap the customised brush on to my new bottle.
Voila - I'm so chuffed with myself.:wink2:

how.do.you.mean.hun.?
do.you.cut.the.bristles.into.a.point?

(sorry.for.the.dots:lol:)

Great tips this will be very useful! :)

As you're all so good at helping with advice and tips, here's my offering I thought I'd share with you.
When I'm doing a French polish, I mainly use Creative's Cream Puff (white). So, so make life a teensy bit easier for myself, I've cut the bristles of the brush into a narrower (more tapered) shape. This allows me to put the enamel exactly where I want it.
When I've finished the bottle of enamel, I just swap the customised brush on to my new bottle.
Would you perhaps be able to upload a pic for us of your customized brush please? xx

I hate french polishes - so I would love a picture of your brush - pretty please:smack:

Me too - I'm pants at french polish so any tips are useful.

Yep me too, would love to see the brush:)

Ok. I'll post a pic as soon as I remember to have the camera in the same place as the brush !!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I'll try to explain it better -
Firstly clean as much enamel from the brush as poss.
Then spread the bristles of the brush on a flat hard surface
With sharp scissors, at each side cut the outer bristles towards the centre - not into a point, but almost
Trim them up if necessary.
Hope this helps.

Ok. I'll post a pic as soon as I remember to have the camera in the same place as the brush !!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I'll try to explain it better -
Firstly clean as much enamel from the brush as poss.
Then spread the bristles of the brush on a flat hard surface
With sharp scissors, at each side cut the outer bristles towards the centre - not into a point, but almost
Trim them up if necessary.
Hope this helps.

Hi thank you ill give that one a go great tip,
:hug:

You know wot i get a cold sweat n come out in a huge nervous rash as soon as the word paint gets brought up ... i did so well in the nail comp in feb but all my points i lost was in the polish .... please please please send me a pick of that brush or your address so i can send u all mine to cut to shape ... lol ... xxx emily xx

Hi, don't know if this helps, but Bourjois do a white enamel polish with a brush tip cut into a v-shape just as you describe.

Hope this helps.

I've just tried the Bourjour polish - its great :)

I think its also a good idea to get a new white every few months if you are doing a lot of french finishes, its so hard when they go all gloopy!! :mad:

Hi, don't know if this helps, but Bourjois do a white enamel polish with a brush tip cut into a v-shape just as you describe.

Hope this helps.

OHHHH Im going in to town later im gonna go get me some Bourjois i think ...lol xx

What place in town will sell Bourjois and will it be a french colour enamel im looking for aswell plzzzzzzz ? x

OOh you girls are gonna love this...
I swear by Rimmel Tip Whitener (about 2 quid!) Ok so on a CLEAN, OIL FREE NAIL vaguely paint on your tip whitener, then dip your (acrylic) brush in acetone (I have a spare brush just for this so I don't spoil my bristles) Turn your hand around and curve out a perfect smile line into the white polish. Then apply your base coat (Constance Carroll matte base coat {can this get any cheaper?}) IT IS SO EASY. People come from miles around for my french polish cos nowhere else can work out how I do it so good!!! They don't realise I'm cheating with acetone! What a bighead hey? Try it...don't forget your top coat!

Wow! What a tip! Fantastic for beginners like me! I'm gonna try that!! :)

Thanx so much :hug:

Orly do a fab white that has a narrow brush called point blanc it is available from grafton international x x x

OOh you girls are gonna love this...
I swear by Rimmel Tip Whitener (about 2 quid!) Ok so on a CLEAN, OIL FREE NAIL vaguely paint on your tip whitener, then dip your (acrylic) brush in acetone (I have a spare brush just for this so I don't spoil my bristles) Turn your hand around and curve out a perfect smile line into the white polish. Then apply your base coat (Constance Carroll matte base coat {can this get any cheaper?}) IT IS SO EASY. People come from miles around for my french polish cos nowhere else can work out how I do it so good!!! They don't realise I'm cheating with acetone! What a bighead hey? Try it...don't forget your top coat!

Further to the few French white thread tips that are going around at the minute, I just wanted to add the using CNDs Nail Fresh is better than using acetone because it evaporates quicker so you dont hve to worry about flooding the nail too much which can happen to acetone. Plus more people find a stiff gel brush or eye tinting brush better because it is stiffer.

Have a search around as there are loads of threads that discuss this and most agree the a product like nail fresh is far better than acetone. Dont get me wrong if acetone works well for you then great I just think that Nail Fresh is better.

Just to also add - as professionals I feel that we should be using more professional polishes than Rimmel and Constance Carroll. My experience is that professional products make a more professional looking job.

Latest posts

Back