Myscara...have you had this happen to you.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjs

Reaction score
So far I've done Myscara on 12 clients (4 being my case studies) I can't fault my training and have tweaked my own little application procedure and happy with the results but...out of the 12 I've had 3 clients that want it off after just a few days/one week. One has said it 'hurt' her lashes, one said it made her feel 'dirty' and the other who wanted it natural so that she could apply mascara for evening wear then said it was difficult to apply mascara after having Myscara. Now after doing a patch test on a lady she has phoned to cancel, as she put it 'the stuff made her eyelashes feel bruised' Has anyone had this happen to them, also the other 9 don't seem to be raving about it...getting a little disheartened, I know Myscara is not for everyone but i did expect more excitement about the product, am I doing something wrong here.???:sad:

I just don't think semi-permanent mascara is going to take off as was first thought.
I trained with a different company. Admittedly I have only done 2 full sets and one set of bottom lashes so far.
The bottom lashes lasted less than a week and my client got an infection, which could have been a coincidence.
The one set of full lashes I applied I had to remove the same day as the client decided she didn't like them.
The other set I did on my hairdresser and she asked for them to be removed about a week later as they were getting on her nerves.
I am going to do a couple more sets this week and see how they go but, like you, I am quite disappointed with the response (or lack of!)

So far I've done Myscara on 12 clients (4 being my case studies) I can't fault my training and have tweaked my own little application procedure and happy with the results but...out of the 12 I've had 3 clients that want it off after just a few days/one week. One has said it 'hurt' her lashes, one said it made her feel 'dirty' and the other who wanted it natural so that she could apply mascara for evening wear then said it was difficult to apply mascara after having Myscara. Now after doing a patch test on a lady she has phoned to cancel, as she put it 'the stuff made her eyelashes feel bruised' Has anyone had this happen to them, also the other 9 don't seem to be raving about it...getting a little disheartened, I know Myscara is not for everyone but i did expect more excitement about the product, am I doing something wrong here.???:sad:

The client that said it hurt her lashes may just be very sensitive.

I have it on and when my hayfever kicks in, my lash line hurts.

The one who said it made her feel dirty, well fair do's it's not for her.

The one who wanted it natural so she could apply her own mascara..? WTF??? That's the whole point if MYscara to NOT wear mascara.

The clients I've done have loved it and the comments I've received from wearing it are very positive.

Don't give up x

Hello,

mjs can I ask how many layers you have put on? If you have over layered the eyelashes can feel 'stiff'. This in turn can make the eyes feel tender...or as the lady said bruised. Did you put the MYscara too close to the eye lid? It needs to be a millimetre or 2 above the lash line otherwise there will not be the flexibility there for the natural lash to still have movement.

MYscara, like other spm's, can take a bit of getting used to. It feels strange to go to bed without removing your regular mascara so no different for MYscara or any other spm. Obviously your lady who felt 'dirty' takes her regular mascara off and this is a treatment that doesn't suit her. It doesn't suit everyone....and that goes for lots of treatments not just spm's.

Don't be too hard on yourself, you have said you have only done 12 applications. Having done your training you will now realise that it's not as easy as it looks :D Keep going and you will get there :hug:

You definitely should be leaving a very small gap between the base of the lashes and the lids. If you apply the MYscara too close to the lid line, when she opens her eyes, she will feel it pressing into her skin.

I think, the same as anything else, it does take some getting used to, and we have to accept that there will be a few people who just don't get on with it.

Perhaps next time try to make sure you leave a mm gap at the base and try not to build up too many coats as that can make them stiff.

If they want a slightly thicker look, you can achieve this by applying an extra coat or too just to the tips of the lashes to give the appearance of thickness without weighing down the whole lash.

Hope that helps - give it time, I'm sure you'll get your regular MYscara lovers :D

Claire xx

Some good points. :D

Marketing of the product is important. Those who tend to not like it have unrealistic expectations of it ie they expect a EE's type of look. As with mascara, it will only be as good as the lashes it goes on.

The clients who absolutely love it are those who found tinting/perming did not give them the volume they wanted. We get feedback saying how great it is just to be able to get out of bed, shower, a bit of lippy and good to go. Perfect for a holiday, for gym bunnies as wont smudge. Clients who wear glasses love the fact they dont get product all over their lenses when trying to apply mascara. One of my girls recently did a lady in her 70's who was always having trouble with applying and removing mascara daily and she is thrilled.

Girls who do long shifts ie nurses, never have to worry about it gradually wearing off or ending up under their eyes.

Salons are saying it has opened up a whole new market as clients who would not normally go to a salon are now booking to have this treatment.

I believe it is here to stay and will have it's place amongst eye treatments long after the fashion for the daisy cow look has passed. After all, women have been darkening their eyelashes for generations xx

Just from reading this it sounds like you are applying the product too close to the lash line. You should not go right to the lash line a small gap needs to be left. As for making lashes feel dirty? is she washing her lashes? does she normally wear mascara? It would be better if you contact your trainer to go over things. Also you said you tweaked the application, you should maybe stick to the application procedure. If you want to talk over the procedure feel free to contact me or your trainer. We have so much positive feedback, and really want to help anyone having problems we are here to help :D we also have a myscara mania forum on geek for hints and tips xx

Thanks for you replies, the one thing i was'nt told in training was about not applying it to close so will bear this in mind. Also I meant tweaking my position rather than the application although I now do the closed eye application and find it more comfortable for the client and myself. I have only applied two coats to all clients. Well will plod on as it looks great on me....thanks for the feedback.:biggrin:

As we tell all our students...with MYscara the support doesn't end when your course finishes. One of us is always around :wink2::biggrin:

Glad we could help x

Some good points. :D

Marketing of the product is important. Those who tend to not like it have unrealistic expectations of it ie they expect a EE's type of look. As with mascara, it will only be as good as the lashes it goes on.

The clients who absolutely love it are those who found tinting/perming did not give them the volume they wanted. We get feedback saying how great it is just to be able to get out of bed, shower, a bit of lippy and good to go. Perfect for a holiday, for gym bunnies as wont smudge. Clients who wear glasses love the fact they dont get product all over their lenses when trying to apply mascara. One of my girls recently did a lady in her 70's who was always having trouble with applying and removing mascara daily and she is thrilled.

Girls who do long shifts ie nurses, never have to worry about it gradually wearing off or ending up under their eyes.

Salons are saying it has opened up a whole new market as clients who would not normally go to a salon are now booking to have this treatment.

I believe it is here to stay and will have it's place amongst eye treatments long after the fashion for the daisy cow look has passed. After all, women have been darkening their eyelashes for generations xx

These are great points I use them also! Plus I have a fibrelash vs mascara FAQ and try to market it for contact lens wearers being one myself.

Hiya, don't be disheartened, Leanne my trainer will tell you i felt just the same way when I started. I have done so many sets no I have lost count (and still my bottle of MYscara has loads in it)!!!

I think firstly clients are really struggling to get their heads round the fact of what the product is and what you can achieve, especially with folically challenged 70 year olds expecting me to achieve a look from a mascara ad on eyelash models with EEs!!! I now ensure I tell the client at consultation what to expect and if needs be let them walk. But most just want a natural mascara look and this is what they get.

Here in Spain we get a lot of sensitive eye issues due to the weather, humidity and very high pollen count. I cannot wear it as my eyes are dry and gritty and it just annoys me! Therefore I am now picking up the slightest indication of sensitivity on their consultation and again I'll advise them that maybe if they want to wait til their eyes settle they may be better off. If they wish to still try it then again I say that removal is included in the price. To date I have had to remove 2 who were in this category.

I did have an issue of the MYscara feeling a little spiky but since shaking the bottle for a full minute before application this issue seems to have gone.

Stay in touch with your trainer, or join the MYscara group as we're all holding each others hands as we get to grips with such a new concept. Most of us are very busy with it, I m doing on average 2 a day! I have been at it 2 months now and at one point really wanted to quit but now I feel very confident and in control and feel I can tackle just about anything that comes through the door ... apart from the poor chemo lady who had no lashes at all, felt very sad for her.

Thanks for you replies, the one thing i was'nt told in training was about not applying it to close so will bear this in mind. Also I meant tweaking my position rather than the application although I now do the closed eye application and find it more comfortable for the client and myself. I have only applied two coats to all clients. Well will plod on as it looks great on me....thanks for the feedback.:biggrin:

To be honest I think you should contact your trainer again before you attempt any other treatments, as it clearly sounds as though you are not carrying out the correct procedures as per your training.

MYscara is and always has been a closed eye procedure, you will not be covered by insurance if you are carrying this out by any other means other than a closed eye procedure.

I just don't think semi-permanent mascara is going to take off as was first thought.
I trained with a different company. Admittedly I have only done 2 full sets and one set of bottom lashes so far.
The bottom lashes lasted less than a week and my client got an infection, which could have been a coincidence.
The one set of full lashes I applied I had to remove the same day as the client decided she didn't like them.
The other set I did on my hairdresser and she asked for them to be removed about a week later as they were getting on her nerves.
I am going to do a couple more sets this week and see how they go but, like you, I am quite disappointed with the response (or lack of!)

hey hun yes i too had a client want hers removed a few days later :S it was applied correctly but she just couldnt handle the feeling of it being on at night she usually removes makeup before bed she said it made her itch her eyes during the night also but she was fine during the day ? each to there own i personally didnt have any probs when i had it on but everyones diff x

Latest posts

Back