Mystery - please tell me what you think

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
A client had her usual l&p infills and a black nail polish over the top.

When she returned for infills I removed the black polish and 3 of the nails were lilac, it wouldn't remove with remover so I gently buffed it off. In my mind I thought maybe she'd had a go with a gel polish kit or something but she remarked how the black polish had stained her nails purple!!

I did point out if it was a stain it would be on all 10. I asked if she'd put anything on them and said it was like gel polish but she said definitely not, she hadn't done anything.

I buffed it off and Infilled and thought no more of it, presuming she didn't like to tell me she'd had a play. Although it wouldn't have mattered

She's just been for another appt and brought it up again, asking if id had anybody else's nails stained by the polish?! Obv I said no and we moved on but !?!

Just interested in hearing people's thoughts on this.

I probably won't be much help here but I just wanted you to get a reply!
I use gel rather than l&p and I have one client who works in a textiles factory which make all kinds of things, whenever she works with a certain material to make top hats her nails turn blue! It literally stains the gel. It easily buffs off when I do her infills but that's the only way to remove it so she now sticks to darker bluey toned colours so it won't show!
Was the lilac more like a coating than a stain then?
Which nails were they? If it were her dominant hands, say, thumb, index and middle finger I'd be tempted to suggest she might've used something which maybe reacted with the polish?
Strange how it would happen through the polish though!
Oooh I love a mystery!
Sorry, I've waffled, I hope someone can be of more help! X

I've been thinking about this one since I read it yesterday.....I don't have a definitive answer, only thoughts......

The lilac staining is clearly the black polish, if it's only 3 nails.....it's not the polish or it would be all 10

Which 3 nails?

If it's Thumb, Fore and Ring on dominant hand it's something she's used without gloves...bleach, cillet bang..etc. which has started to disolve the polish which has stained the nail.

If it's the last 3 fingers you applied L&P to, then I suspect the L&P was not fully cured so absorbed some of the polish pigments as it hardened.

Any of the above ramblings make any sense???? :confused:

It was more of a coating yes. I could even feel a slight edge to it.

It was middle finger right hand, thumb and ring on left

Thank you for the replies!!

I know, it's had me puzzled so I thougt I'd throw it out there because between us all we must've surely seen it all!!

Ooh I meant to add the polish was perfect apart from regrowth.

No when I apply l&p I go little finger to thumb on right, then little to thumb on left.

She's had the same polish before several times and this hasn't happened! It's crazy!

It was a very even lilac all over, no fading or patchiness, exactly like a thin colour gel coating.

It was more of a coating yes. I could even feel a slight edge to it.

It was middle finger right hand, thumb and ring on left

Thank you for the replies!!

I know, it's had me puzzled so I thougt I'd throw it out there because between us all we must've surely seen it all!!

Ooh I meant to add the polish was perfect apart from regrowth.

No when I apply l&p I go little finger to thumb on right, then little to thumb on left.

She's had the same polish before several times and this hasn't happened! It's crazy!

It was a very even lilac all over, no fading or patchiness, exactly like a thin colour gel coating.

How odd, I've seen staining similar but it's been all nails not just a random few.

With regard to the bold bit....it makes me chuckle how differently we all work, I go 'right pinkie to thumb, left thumb to pinkie' (I've typed thumb so many times it looks wrongly spelled now!! LOL )

With regard to the bold bit....it makes me chuckle how differently we all work, I go 'right pinkie to thumb, left thumb to pinkie' (I've typed thumb so many times it looks wrongly spelled now!! LOL )

That could make a new thread all by itself lol

At a guess , and it's a complete guess I would say it's possible that she came into contact with a substance that had the ability to partially dissolve both her nail polish and acrylic coating , with both coating soaked in solvent it's possible the pigments from the black polish migrated to the top layer of L&P and as the L&P set again , trapped the pigment in a thin outer coating.

But who knows ? Strange one !!

It is almost definitely something she has got in contact with that has caused it because it hasn't happened to any other client and she has had the same previously and it was fine. See if she can remember doing anything that she doesn't usually do, helped someone with a craft job or sat in the sun cleaning jewellery etc.. something she may not think is the cause but is something she doesn't usually do (or at least not while having her nails on - as I know some clients don't always keep their nails and it may be something she does without nails on - hope you know what I mean as I am rambling now sorry).

No she's adamant she's done nothing and lives with her mum and does no cleaning etc lucky devil lol

I'm wondering if she has had a play with gel polish (exactly what it looked like) and doesn't want to say. If you think about which fingers the lilac was on, they would be nice, fairly evenly balanced accent fingers. The way it buffed off was so gel polish like and now I think of it, it had a bit of a sheen as well. And such neat edges.

No she's adamant she's done nothing and lives with her mum and does no cleaning etc lucky devil lol

I'm wondering if she has had a play with gel polish (exactly what it looked like) and doesn't want to say. If you think about which fingers the lilac was on, they would be nice, fairly evenly balanced accent fingers. The way it buffed off was so gel polish like and now I think of it, it had a bit of a sheen as well. And such neat edges.
So must she of removed the polish you'd applied to do that?
And then repaint them? Cos they were black when you infilled them weren't they? Can you remember if the polish looked different from when you painted them?
Clients can be so funny! If that's what she did then why not just say! I agree with those nails making perfect accent nails though! Think I'd have to grill her a bit more at her next appointment, I wouldn't be able to rest until I found out! Especially if she's telling you a porky pie x

So must she of removed the polish you'd applied to do that?
And then repaint them? Cos they were black when you infilled them weren't they? Can you remember if the polish looked different from when you painted them?
Clients can be so funny! If that's what she did then why not just say! I agree with those nails making perfect accent nails though! Think I'd have to grill her a bit more at her next appointment, I wouldn't be able to rest until I found out! Especially if she's telling you a porky pie x
Yes if she did, she would've needed to repaint those before coming to me. Do you know, I don't remember even looking particularly, just went straight in with the remover. Damn!

The other 7 nails were perfectly normal, not one mark on any of them

It's so weird !

Latest posts

Back