Myths and Fables part 7 January 2005

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
Myths and Fables part 7 January 2005

1. Cracking & breaking of enhancements are caused by trauma to the nail.

Although trauma can lead to breakage, other causes can lead to cracking such as rough filing during finishing,
incorrect length and
imbalance.
If a client is repeatedly breaking her nails, then a technician must look carefully at these causes.

2. Irritation (itching) is a temporary thing and nothing to be concerned about.

If a technician experiences itching on his/her wrist, hands or fingers, it must be taken as a serious warning sign that they may be over exposing themselves to uncured product or a chemical within a product. Itching should never be ignored; if it is, then a permanent allergy can result.

3. ‘Blowing’ is an acceptable means of removing dust from the nails.

Blowing on a client is both an unhygienic and an unpleasant and unprofessional habit to get into. Although a natural inclination, it must be resisted.

4. Long and square is the ‘perfect’ nail look.

The competition look, long and square, is seldom suitable for most nail types. Nor is it natural looking. Long and square is a way that competitors can show off their skill and meet the judge’s criteria for competition purposes. Enhance your client’s nails by making them look more beautiful with custom designed enhancements.

5. Gels are the easiest nail system to master.

The first enhancement system that you learn with is always the most difficult to master. After that, the others seem easier. Learning to do beautiful gel enhancements poses as many challenges to the would-be nail artist as any other system.

6. Fungal infections are a common sight in the nail salon.

You would think from the amount they are mentioned that this would be true, but in fact it is a very rare sight indeed to see a fungal infection associated with a client’s nails. The dry conditions in which most hands exist are just not suitable for a fungal infection to thrive.

7. Mixing products from different systems is OK.

Every manufacturer warns against ‘cherry picking’ products from different systems and mixing them together. Systems are chemically designed to work together to give optimum performance. For safety and durability, stick to your system.

8. NVQ training is the same in all colleges.

Although in an ideal world this would be so, sadly it is not. The syllabus is the same, but is dependent on the trainer to get the message across … the quality of the teaching is what will determine the quality of any course for the students.

9. Sculpting is the best form of nail enhancement.

Sculpting is A form of nail enhancement.
Tip and overlay is another.
Both are good acceptable methods of application. The one thing I would say is that Sculpting is much less expensive for the nail technician than using tips, allows the technician artistic freedon, and because there is no adhesive, they are a little less likely to break at the free edge..

10. DIY and Hobby Drills are fine to use on enhancements.

DIY and hobby drills are completely unsuitable to use on nail enhancements because of the low number of revolutions (RPM’s) of this particular type of drill. Much damage is done to the enhancement, as well as the stress put on the nail plate by using this type of unsuitable equipment. Would you like your dentist to use one in your mouth?

Phwor I will NEVER blow on any hands. I did it on my very first training day within the first minutes of starting, how I still have a head on I dont know as I sure got it ripped off that day ..... but it worked because I have never done, nor ever will do it again!!!!!!!!!

Great advice as always Gigi!

Latest posts

Back