Nail Art Blues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natalie day

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My confidence when it comes to Nail Art has been taking a hit just lately! I see all these lovely designs in magazines and I just want to be able to do designs like those! I think my problem is that I am not a 'natural artist'. I don't have an artistic flare, it tends to be pot luck whether a deigns goes well or not, I cant seem to picture it in my head and know that it will look good. I am OK if I see a design I like, I can normally recreate it or adapt it somehow but I just wish I had this natural artistic flare which would enable me to do some of these fantastic designs you see around! Does anyone feel the same, or is everyone else lucky enough to have an artistic flare, or do you think that with practice anyone can do these wonderful designs?

I am very impatient as well you see, I spent an hour yesterday afternoon practising on tips and I think I came up with about 3 good designs and about 10 which ended up as a mess!

Anyway, I wont bore you any longer, just wondered if anyone gets 'the blues' when it comes to nails?!?!?

Hi Natalie

I know all of us have our bad days and thats all part of being a good tech....you pick your self up and try even harder and then sit back and look at the wonderful service you have provided...! As for the nail art, i'm no artist but i love nail art with a passion. Even if i have to copy a design i put my own little extra's in to make it mine. Don't give up hun....you can do it.. :)
Vicky xx
natalie day said:
Hi everyone,

My confidence when it comes to Nail Art has been taking a hit just lately! I see all these lovely designs in magazines and I just want to be able to do designs like those! I think my problem is that I am not a 'natural artist'. I don't have an artistic flare, it tends to be pot luck whether a deigns goes well or not, I cant seem to picture it in my head and know that it will look good. I am OK if I see a design I like, I can normally recreate it or adapt it somehow but I just wish I had this natural artistic flare which would enable me to do some of these fantastic designs you see around! Does anyone feel the same, or is everyone else lucky enough to have an artistic flare, or do you think that with practice anyone can do these wonderful designs?

I am very impatient as well you see, I spent an hour yesterday afternoon practising on tips and I think I came up with about 3 good designs and about 10 which ended up as a mess!

Anyway, I wont bore you any longer, just wondered if anyone gets 'the blues' when it comes to nails?!?!?

Thanks vicky.
I will keep at it, as I said I am very impatient and when I can't see results straight away I get very dis-heartened. But I will keep at it and hopefully I will start to see more good designs than the messy ones!
Cheers!

Im not artistic at all in fact in my first year in secondry school my teacher told me the day i left school would be the best day of her life..............

i find if i have something to copy from it helps a picture or a book i have looked at lots of websites and some have step by step mui's site is really good http://www.beautynaildesign.com/aboutus.htm http://www.nailartnewz.com/ http://www.christiesnails.com/ my nail art is not very good at all but i do get allot of pleasure out of trying to create some designs

Thanks, I will have a look at those!
I loved art at school, wasn't any good at it, my school reports always said 'natalie tries very hard!' which basically means I could keep on trying but I was never going to be picasso! He, he, he!
I enjoy creating designs, and love it even more when one actually turns out good! Just wish there were more of those moments than the disaster moments!

I've never really tried nail art seriously but think of it this way

Every mistake takes you closer to getting it right.

Hi Natalie,

You can try by creating simple designs to begin with. Have you tried using a dotting tool. You can create flowers by simply dotting onto a painted nail. There are also deal/stickers you can use to. You can also use shapes to. If you PM me I can send you a sample of the ones I have on my website. I have stars, hearts, moons etc. This will get you started! Keep practising creating your nail art and it will get better and better each time.

Jenny :)

I have to say i am artistic and can normally create most things. But one thing i will say i have to be in the "right" mood or nothing great comes out. If i make myself sit down to do something, my mind goes blank. If i wait till i am itching to create something then i get better results and they look better.

Simple is best, try just starting with some basics then just slowly add a few bits here and there to make them special, i'm sure if you take the pressure off of yourself it will come out good in the end.

I think with nail art it does help if you have some artistic ablitity for complicated designs. But simple designs can look stunning and are very easy to do. Start of with stripping brushes, dotting tools, and small gems you will be amazed at what effects you can come up with. Just keep at it and it will become easier. Try this link the site as lots of step by step designs for easy designs.
http://nailart.coyoteweb.co.uk/modu...ns&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=15&page=1

oh lesley that link is brilliant for us beginers thanks so much

Wow, just had a quick look at that website and there is some cool designs on there! Looks like I will be having fun this evening! You will probably be hearing from me again tomorrow if it all goes wrong!!! ha, ha! I also bought a selection of brushes from an art shop at lunch to help create some more designs!

What I tend to do quite often is browse the gallery & web sites & draw the ideas onto paper. Simply draw around a nail tip & doodle, copy other designs, basically do anything that leaves you with an idea. It really works for me & before you know it you will have made some up without even thinking about it. Still can't do flowers though but as I enjoy other stuff I know I'm not practicing them enough.

Thanks to everyone for your replies! I have been doing some nail art this evening and it has gone really well (I think?!?!) there were more results than disasters for a change!
I have updated my website with some designs I did this evening if anyone is interested in having a nosey, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again!!

:biggrin:

hi natalie

your nail art is brill xx

natalie, i've been on your site, seen your pic's, there is nothing wrong with your nail art they look beautiful!

Latest posts

Back