Nail art course - disappointing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlequin

Reaction score
So...I've trained in l+p and gels, did my HND and qualified in everything but the HND didn't cover nail art so I thought a one day introductory course would be a good place to start thinking that it would explain the nail art brushes, the paints, the pens etc. But it turned out it was an acrylic art course.

We weren't told this so most of the girls showed up with only their basic manicure kit, and as a result half the class had to go buy brushes and acrylics which I thought was terrible considering we all only got told to bring a manicure kit.

Now don't get me wrong I learned some stuff but I really thought it was gonna be a basic course, a couple of the girls hadn't even done acrylic nails before so if they go out to do this with no formal training..and the teacher was really really rushing us (and using an electric drill which im so unsure about due to previous bad experiences) so we never really had a chance to ask questions or really practise anything.

Also got told conflicting info to what i'd been taught before even though it was the same nail system and the same products!

It was so disheartening, wish I hadn't bothered, I've learned more about nail art from Fingernailfixer on facebook than I did today!!

Seriously, think i'll need to save up for a couple of years and go train CND complete, it sounds so much better!!

Sorry to bitch! But i still have NO idea where to start with nail art now! And the acrylic was so thick and bulky that it took me 2 hours to get them off....sigh.

I remember when I first started training in 2001 (before discovering CND) and going on my first training course.

I had exactly the same problem, with another company . I was that disappointed that I wrote a stinking letter to them , complete with bullet points on all the conflicting information, and the lack of patients (and now I realise) lack of skill the tutor had!

I payed a lot of money for it and I wasn't going to be ripped off.
I said that I will be looking forward to hearing a reply, pending further action.............

I got a FULL refund.

It's worth a try, if you feel that you didn't get the service you should have, complain.

Good luck xx

What company did you do it with?
What are you wanting to learn about nail art. I get all my inspiration and tips from the internet. Youtube has some really great nail art tutorials aswell!

Sorry to hear your bad experience! It's difficult to find a good course but they are out there! I'm intrigued who the training was with, would you mind sending me a pm?

I remember when I first started training in 2001 (before discovering CND) and going on my first training course.

I had exactly the same problem, with another company . I was that disappointed that I wrote a stinking letter to them , complete with bullet points on all the conflicting information, and the lack of patients (and now I realise) lack of skill the tutor had!

I payed a lot of money for it and I wasn't going to be ripped off.
I said that I will be looking forward to hearing a reply, pending further action.............

I got a FULL refund.

It's worth a try, if you feel that you didn't get the service you should have, complain.

Good luck xx

I WOULD do that except as I used my ILA to pay for it I'm not actually out of pocket. I just wasted my ILA. I had enough to go do this course or go learn Brazilian Waxing and I chose Nail Art thinking there may be more in it for me. Still really disappointed and feel that whoever was working in the place should have known to tell the girls what to bring - it was almost a money making ploy!

The course listing just said Nail Art. Didn't specify that it was acrylic. TBH if I'd known it was acrylic I probably wouldn't have done it as most of my nails are gel nails but I guess its something learned and something I can practise with in case anyone ever asks for it.

Thanks for your advice though, i might just write them a a letter or an email anyway.

x

What company did you do it with?
What are you wanting to learn about nail art. I get all my inspiration and tips from the internet. Youtube has some really great nail art tutorials aswell!

In all honesty it was just the basics, I see nail art pens and glitters etc, I've no idea about their composition or how to use them as I don't know if they are just paints or actual nail polishes. I'd hoped we'd cover what the nail art brushes were used for as I hear a lot of stuff on you tube about dotting tools etc and I had no idea what that meant.

Then I thought it would be basic designs, swirls, animal prints, marbling etc. Maybe I was expecting too little but I thought something like that would have been covered. As I said I have been using fingernailfixer's tutorial on facebook and been getting some real results using just Shellac. Plus I've seen pictures of the additives on the CND facebook page and that looks pretty epic so I'll just go teh self taught route. I just wanted a certificate that said I'd covered the basics in case any clients asked for it or anything like that but I don't feel I went in at a beginners level.

I felt really sorry for the girl who hadn't even trained in acrylics being made to apply tips and use forms for sculpting. She must have found that quite difficult particularly if she doesn't know about teh zones and the building of the products etc. She wouldn't be able to use anything she learned until she trained in an acrylic system...

Anyway I digress.

I went to my local college to do nail art last year. it was a ten week course our college offered and we learnt all the basic art you would expect to learn. I enjoyed it and would defintely do it all again.
i completed a nvq level 2 nail technician course at the same college and also did nail art airbrushing course. both very good courses.
My certificates awarding bodies were from vtct.
Maybe you could contact them and se if they can give you any advice as to where you can do the same courses locally to you.

hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back