Nail Art Disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie Morris

Reaction score
Help!!! I am very new to nail art and am only practising at home with a very limited nail art kit.

Last night I sat down with some new paints from Spangles, stencils and brushes also from spangles. I placed the stencil onto the nails and painted the so called stars, the paint seemed far too thick and gave no detail and then after I removed the stencil (after a couple of minutes) all the paint then went with the stencil!!!!!

All the paints are so think and even a fine striping brush and detailing brush just gave very clogged looking designs, HELP - how do all you guys paint detailed and amazing designs on the nails like you do??? Is it the paints I am using??

Can anyone recommend a video or book that I could get to help me with the basics???

(

Hi Stephanie,
I can`t help you with a good video but it sounds to me like you haven`t stirred your paint or added any water.
Try stirring the paint in the pot, then take a small amount out of pot and put it on a palette (I use an ice cream lid) and add a bit of water to mix.

To make stencils really effective you need to use an airbrush. The advantages are that the paint is dry immediately and thin so that when you remove the stencil there is no dragging or lifting of thick paint.

I never use those nail art stencils, simply because, they dont work unless you airbrush!!!!

You're better off getting some fine acrylic paints, a fine artists paintbrush and starting with nice simple easy patterns, jus to get the hang of things. Then u can begin to master more complex designs.

Keep looking at other peoples work for inspiration.

Good luck, and remember...PRACTISE AND PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxlaylaxx

Hi ya Stephanie,
I have used the spangles nail art paints too, the ones that come in little pots attached in a row..............

To be honest I found them very fiddly to open then ones the lid was open they tipped over at the slightest breeze...........
The paints are a bit thick, but a little goes a long way, only use the smallest amount on you brush, I tried watering them down but that got messy too.

All my handpainting acrylic paints, are all airbrush paints, you don't have to use them soley in an airbrush, you can handpaint with them too.
As for the stencil as said they are for airbrush work.....................

But you can try masking area's of the nail off, for abstract designs. I use micropore, medical tape, comes in different widths, just mask your areas off and then fill in the little gaps with paint.

I also use frisket.........a self adhesive clear plastic, cut out your design, it will stick to the nail and then use a little sponge, dip it in the paint, blot most of it of and go over the cut out with that.
A bit like sponging paint on walls.

I use a natural spong , dip it in the paint, remove excess and then dab over the nail, you can add different colours, so you get a marbly sort of effect.

Or use the thicker spangles paint to do marbling, Add a few little blobs , different colours on to the nail, then get a cocktail stick and swirl them together............

Base coat the nail first whether it is a natural nail or an enhancement, the acrylic paint will stick to it much better.When the paint is dry, use a normal drying top coat, or you might find that the fast drying ones will shrink your design lol

Ok Hun just a few pointers, but the trick is to play and try things out, but mostly have fun getting arty...

Lots of love Ruth xxxx

Hiya

Thank you all for your replies, I don't know what I would do without this forum sometimes...

Ruth where do you get your airbrush paints from?? Maybe I will give these a go..

Layla where is the best place to buy acrylic paints?? Is there anywhere online??

I will keep practising I am hoping it will improve with time and practise...

Take care
Stephxx

I get my paints from www.nailartshopuk.com

:)

xxlaylaxx

Try K-Sa-Ra, I have the 6 packs of paints and larger bottles are available to top them up. GREAT for mobiles. www.netnails.net.

Well Hun,
Airbrush paints I get from the art and graphics centre in Covent Garden.
But Melle has some on her site too.

http://www.allthingsnails.co.uk/
I prefere to see the colours before I buy them tho, so any good art shop in your area will do airbrush paints, Createx is just one make, but there are loads of others.

Hope this helps love

Love Ruth xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back