Nail art, gel polish or regular polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savvi

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m training. And I’ve been playing around with nail art today

Is it best to use gel polish or normal polish? And why

Gel seems more pigmented but it seems to runaway when using for intricate designs. Polish would take a while to dry before being able to add a gel top coat for clients making the appointment time much longer

I don't do too much nail art but when I do I use gel polish which works well for me as long as the brushes are fine and well kept. However, I know alot of people favour acrylic paint. Dont have to wait too long before you can apply your top coat. Xx

Wow I never thought of normal acrylic paints

I only use normal polish for stamping.
Acrylic/water colour paints for more detailed work.
Gel paints, or gel polish for the more "fast" or simple nail art, or where I want to use pigments or glitters on top of the artwork.

I only use normal polish for stamping.
Acrylic/water colour paints for more detailed work.
Gel paints, or gel polish for the more "fast" or simple nail art, or where I want to use pigments or glitters on top of the artwork.

I dont find its very good / clear?

I use Konad nail polish that is specifically designed for stamping - high pigment and fast drying.
Sweet squared also sell some - MoYou brand? I think.

normal polish - its not a very clear stamp transfer

Oh that completely depend on the polish, if it doesn't cover nicely in one thin layer it isn't going to be useful for stamping. You can use the specific stamping polishes, but I also find CND creative play polish works well for stamping.

Oh that completely depend on the polish, if it doesn't cover nicely in one thin layer it isn't going to be useful for stamping. You can use the specific stamping polishes, but I also find CND creative play polish works well for stamping.
thanks I will give those a try

Hi,
I’m new to stamping and so far I’ve learned that the Yours stampers are good - having better luck with the original stamper, it seems more sticky, but the Halo stamper is clear so I’m hoping I can get it nice and sticky too! I’m stamping with Creative Play. I haven’t been applying the stamp to a cleansed surface; after seeing Fee Wallace stamping directly on to a shellac tacky layer and then adding glitter, (which I’ve tried with mixed success) I was thinking you need a tacky layer. I don’t like the mess it makes all over the fingers, that’s the downside. I am hoping I’ll get better with practice! EBay is good for stamping plates :)

Hello guys,
Not related to this exactly but related to nail art. I have found issues with glitter application with some clients I had no issues with. Glitter coat is coming off in a week. So I have found that it happens with few of my Gelish polish with no sticky layer and I have to apply basecoat again to burnish the glitter on the surface coz base coat is more sticky. So I have few questions in mind:
1. Is it better to use topcoat even the colour coat is not sticky?
2. Will it make a difference in the wear of the colour without glitter as I was told that the gel polish can only stick to a rough or sticky surface?
3. Any other way maybe ?? if I'm doing anything wrong here.

Please help guys...
P.s only the glitter coating came off not the colour underneath,

Hi. I’m finding that my 100% gels vary in how tacky they are, fresh out of the lamp. I am using cleanser after colour coats to remove tacky layer, then going in with CND Clearly Pink (just for this purpose so o don’t care of glitter gets in the bottle!) to give the perfect surface for my loose glitters to stick to, then top coat with a product that is only used over glitter. I use Lecenté and I have a top coat from their create range just for this purpose (and another one for plain colour coats. The create gels don’t have enough tack for loose glitter.) Some brands are stickier than others, I’ve tried CND Shellac Luxe and Artistic polishes with glitter, powders and stamping with good success rates. You can also create a glitter mix with a suitable clear gel, such as Lecenté Smooth It. Less mess and better control of glitter placement, and it gives the end result more depth. Just allow more time for removal.

Also another tip I learned, for powders, was to go over chrome powder application with your bonder (e.g. Light Elegance Tack, which is a ‘double-sided sticky tape’) and you can ensure chrome will not rub off with wear. Apply over the chrome has been applied and then cure for 60s before sealing with top coat. I intend to try this on myself using Lecenté Glimente powders because they do seem to wear off, and I’m sure it’s an adhesion and sealing problem! Light Elegance make glitter gels and Lecenté Smooth it can be mixed with glitter to create your own glitter gel (2 parts gel to 1 part glitter). This is personally my favourite way of doing it as it’s less messy and you end up with a smooth nail.

Latest posts

Back