Nail art help for a student

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizzieish

Reaction score
Hi everyone J

I’m near the end of my Level 2 course and have covered gel extensions and gel polish with IBD. I’m getting there with both of those slowly so want to start including some nail art into my nails. I’m on Easter break at the moment so don’t have a tutor to ask so was hoping if someone could answer any of the following!

1) 3D nail art – bows/gems etc – how do you add these to gel extensions and how do you remove them?
2) Glitter and striping tape – again, how is this added to gel nails and the removal for them?
3) French polish – for normal nail enamel I paint the French then tidy up the smile line with acetone but can’t do this on extensions, anyone have any tips for tidying up the smile line or do you just need to be able to paint it perfectly every time!?
4) Acrylic paint – my college course told us to buy some and we can use it. Is this actually used in industry or is just an out of date college technique? I don’t want to waste my time practicing with it if it doesn’t realistically get used. I have some cheap acrylic then a few of the Sam Biddle colours too.
5) Finally, just normal nail art – do you dip your nail art brush straight into the pot or do you pour a little out first, just wondered if it would cure if you poured it onto a palette?

Many many thanks!

Lizzie J

Acrylic paint is your best friend for nail art and can be used for all sorts of techniques. it's not an out of date technique. But make sure you buy a well pigmented paint :)

Acrylic paint is your best friend for nail art and can be used for all sorts of techniques. it's not an out of date technique. But make sure you buy a well pigmented paint :)

Oh that's good to hear! What brand of paint do you use? Can you do nail art with acrylic paint then cure a gel top coat over the top to seal it in?

Thank you for replying :)

Oh that's good to hear! What brand of paint do you use? Can you do nail art with acrylic paint then cure a gel top coat over the top to seal it in?

Thank you for replying :)

Yes u can put gel over it.

Sadly as i was typing this the brand we used left my head :confused: but most supermarkets stock acrylic paint or craft shops x

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

oh that's great thank you! I'll have a play with it tomorrow after work in that case and see how I get on. I don't suppose you could help with any of the other questions!? it can be quite hard to get a response on here sometimes!

Hi, french,i personally dont use acetone,i use nail polish remover,i put the tip of my detail brush in,than spin it over a tissue to make a point and remove most liquid, than clean up smile line, i am finding im needing to do this less and less as i do more, practice

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Normal nail art, i have a small plate,and pop a few colour dots on, easier control i find, anything smooth that you can clean with nail polish remover will work,

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ah ok so I can clean up a gel polish smile line with non acetone polish remover?

Hi everyone J

I’m near the end of my Level 2 course and have covered gel extensions and gel polish with IBD. I’m getting there with both of those slowly so want to start including some nail art into my nails. I’m on Easter break at the moment so don’t have a tutor to ask so was hoping if someone could answer any of the following!

1) 3D nail art – bows/gems etc – how do you add these to gel extensions and how do you remove them?
2) Glitter and striping tape – again, how is this added to gel nails and the removal for them?
3) French polish – for normal nail enamel I paint the French then tidy up the smile line with acetone but can’t do this on extensions, anyone have any tips for tidying up the smile line or do you just need to be able to paint it perfectly every time!?
4) Acrylic paint – my college course told us to buy some and we can use it. Is this actually used in industry or is just an out of date college technique? I don’t want to waste my time practicing with it if it doesn’t realistically get used. I have some cheap acrylic then a few of the Sam Biddle colours too.
5) Finally, just normal nail art – do you dip your nail art brush straight into the pot or do you pour a little out first, just wondered if it would cure if you poured it onto a palette?

Many many thanks!

Lizzie J

I will try and answer these for u. I didnt read your whole post earlier. I must be tired lol.

I add 3D gems with a dab of nail glue and set it into the gel before fully curing. Not sure if i just do it strangely. Ithen add the finish around the bigger designs. If its rhinestones i set them into the finisher gel.

I mix glitter in a normal artists palette with finisher and cure. Striping tape sets onto builder and finisher goes over the top. Removal depends wether gel us buff off or soak off.

A little tip for french - use a small dotting tool for shorter nails just glide it along the free edge from one side to the other.

And finally i dip my brush into the pot, minimises waste as pouring it out will mean more product used.

Hope this helps :)

I do all of the above except i mix my glitter in the builder gel then cure and apply finsh gel until smooth then cure sometimes i might need two coats of finish

Sent from my LG-E610 using SalonGeek mobile app

I do all of the above except i mix my glitter in the builder gel then cure and apply finsh gel until smooth then cure sometimes i might need two coats of finish

Oh goodness me, i meant mix glitter in the builder. Im no help at all tonight lol.
Its been a long day.
Anyway hope all this helps. Nail art is great fun to experiment with. Enjoy!

Ah thankyou so much, so very helpful all of you! I'm doing a set of gels tomorrow with a gel polish finish so I might try add some of these techniques onto the ring fingers

:):)

Its just about playing with different things

Latest posts

Back