Nail art - inspiration?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pure

Reaction score
I have never really done much nail art, but recently I have had several young new clients who are keen to have glitters and designs on their nails which is fantastic, but I just am rubbish at thinking up anything original!

I have been looking through the many pics people have posted on here and am awed by the things people have come up with :D Technically I think I am capable of copying alot of them, if no-one minds??!! But where do you all get your inspiration and ideas from?

I want to create a range of colourpops to have in the salon for clients to choose from - I use l&p, gel and Shellac and also have a range of glitters, dotting tools, nail art brushes, a stamper set (which I can't seem to master :sad: ) and some metalic foil strips ... what other essentials should I get in? I have been looking at the new additives but don't want to purchase until I am more confident with doing art, unless they are now considered essential of course :)

I think we are all inspired by what we see on here and I know I have had a go at recreating what I've seen on more than one occasion. I wish I could muster up more imagination and creativity, but I like what I see so much on here.

One thought I have had is looking at different nail wraps and seeing what you can take from that to recreate free hand. I've not done it yet, but you could take just elements of a design, or merge different designs together.

What about a favourite piece of clothing or material that you think has a nice pattern or mix of colours? Or anything around the home really.

Carving designs in products to reveal a glitter underneath is lovely. Why not have a go at animal print to start you off as the younger ones can like that sort of thing.
I have different brushes, like a triangle shaped flat brush like the Fingernail fixer uses for carving, as well as a dotting tool, and a detail brush. I also have a separate brush for glitter and one for Additives.

I think it would be very rare to come up with something no other person has come up with before :)
I'm like you I struggle with ideas. Try robinmosesnailart and love4nails on you tube, fantastic easy to follow tutorials

A few of my designs

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346417986.057999.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346417986.057999.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 2,449
This is exactly my problem- I really can't think of ideas etc. thank you for this thread!

I also the same! Never been artistic and I cannot think of ideas! My little sis is very artistic so she draws up little designs sometimes xxx

Nail Art is becoming so popular at moment, I would suggest looking through tumblr.com tags as people use tumblr to post their art!

have you looked on pinterest? Loads of collections of pictures for inspiration...

couple of my favs are...

nail art

Nails

nails

but hundreds more waiting to be found, just put nails into the search box.

More different designs than I could ever do in a lifetime!!

Hey have you thought about Ciate's Caviar Manicure, it has recieved alot of promotion recently on lots of websites and magazines.
I have attached the link of the site below:
NAIL KITS

If you want any further info please let me know.

:)

try doing some simple colour pops to show clients and take it from there, clients may have their own ideas of what they want or may want to match to a particular outfit so you would just have to work between you with what they want and what you can do.

heres some of mine

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

any time i have spare ill sit and play around sometimes from making things up or things i have seen or ill come on here on the net and copy ideas hth xx

for some reasons the pics arent showing so if you want to look in my albums, nail art are mainly in album entitled nails xx

I wish I had the creative gene too when it comes to nail art. I typically steal... well.. haha sample my ideas from all sorts of places. Pinterest is an amazing place to spur on new ideas. I have recently gotten a creative bug and I am entering into a Nail Art Contest where they offer prizes for the winners. I find that a little competition helps spark a fire to get more creative HAHA!! There are lots of competitions out there. I found one on facebook that looks interesting on La Palm Products facebook page. I don't know much about the company itself but the Grand Prize is $1,000 thats a good incentive to get creative haha.. Anyways I find that just by being in a contest, even if you don't win helps your creativity because you get to see what lots of other people are doing right now. You get to see whats hot for the season and fresh insight into other peoples art decisions. It ties you in to the nail world.

I wish I had the creative gene too when it comes to nail art. I typically steal... well.. haha sample my ideas from all sorts of places. Pinterest is an amazing place to spur on new ideas. I have recently gotten a creative bug and I am entering into a Nail Art Contest where they offer prizes for the winners. I find that a little competition helps spark a fire to get more creative HAHA!! There are lots of competitions out there. I found one on facebook that looks interesting on La Palm Products facebook page. I don't know much about the company itself but the Grand Prize is $1,000 thats a good incentive to get creative haha.. Anyways I find that just by being in a contest, even if you don't win helps your creativity because you get to see what lots of other people are doing right now. You get to see whats hot for the season and fresh insight into other peoples art decisions. It ties you in to the nail world.

I also love the idea of competitions! Like you say nothing better to make you think of something!! Where do you find them? I had a look on google a few weeks ago and couldn't find much! Xxx

picture.php

picture.php

hopefully this has worked this time lol

Some nail art..... Really need to get an imagination lol

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346447141.478394.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346447141.478394.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,226
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346447274.979598.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346447274.979598.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 353
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346447432.325342.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346447432.325342.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 285
Instagram is amazing for inspiration i you have the app as i google & youtube.
Here's some of mine, a mixture of stamped & freehand.
I'd definitely start with some leopard & zebra print though. they are my most popular, quite easy to do but you can use it so many different ways to suit different people.
Xx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346448960.708644.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346448960.708644.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 668
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346449005.792922.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346449005.792922.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 485
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346449042.627652.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346449042.627652.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 269
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346449085.781781.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346449085.781781.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,440
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346449112.765199.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346449112.765199.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 323
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346449157.671180.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346449157.671180.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 446
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346449219.004275.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346449219.004275.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 392
picture.php

picture.php

hopefully this has worked this time lol

Lovely!! What are you all using for your art though? I've used star nails striper and dotting pens and they always smudge when I put the shellac topcoat over them. Same with my konad and the konad special paints - they smudge when top coated. This palava has put me off so if I knew which smudge free materials you're using it would really encourage me, thanks xx

Lovely!! What are you all using for your art though? I've used star nails striper and dotting pens and they always smudge when I put the shellac topcoat over them. Same with my konad and the konad special paints - they smudge when top coated. This palava has put me off so if I knew which smudge free materials you're using it would really encourage me, thanks xx

I hate the konad black polish, always bloody smudges no matter if I 'float' the topcoat or whatever. But I haven't found another black that stamps well yet?
The barry m foil polishes don't smudge though, I always use those.
For striping I use the orly stripers. Think they are acrylic based so they never smudge. The wah nails pens are good for me too, for dotting & striping. Xx

Latest posts

Back