Nail art without a course?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatalieJ

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Its been a while since I posted on here as Ive been so busy with my courses since the start of the year. Anyhoo, Ive got a question about Nail Art, Ive never had it myself nor tried it on anyone as Ive always preferred the more natural and classic looks, however Im starting to take an interest now as it is growing on me! I wondered if the people who do nail art have all done a course or whether I can just buy some brushes and paint and have a go myself. What did other people do?

Thanks x x

Hey,
With my beauty therapy course, we had a day of nail art training, but we just learned the basics. Just give it a go yourself, see how you do. It is quite frustrating to begin with but practice makes perfect!

Hi Everyone,

Its been a while since I posted on here as Ive been so busy with my courses since the start of the year. Anyhoo, Ive got a question about Nail Art, Ive never had it myself nor tried it on anyone as Ive always preferred the more natural and classic looks, however Im starting to take an interest now as it is growing on me! I wondered if the people who do nail art have all done a course or whether I can just buy some brushes and paint and have a go myself. What did other people do?

Thanks x x
Like you, I was never really madly wild about nail art and thought, 'It's just not for me'. However, I change my mind when I realized how much fun it was. Personally I don't go for the wild or overly bling bling but I did attend a nail art workshop which I thoroughly enjoyed and learned loads.

You can do nail art without having a course behind you such as applying bling, transfers, stripers, feather like strokes etc....... Some peeps are just naturally very artistic and creative and have a flair for doing nail art without a course behind them.

As long as you are familiar with the products you are using then I would say, 'Go for it'. Tools for drilling holes (I'm not familiar with this) I'd feel sure needs some certification or training. Not sure though so perhaps another peep can clarify this.

You don't need to go on a course, although I've heard it's really good fun and it will teach you techniques. Just have a play and check out some of the tutorials on here. If it's something you think you'll get into then maybe think of booking a course. The only reason I haven't been on one yet is that no-one seems to want nail art and I don't want to spend money on a course if it's not going to be profitable.

Thanks for your replys. Its strange because some people have said that they lots of call for Nail Art and some don't, it must be different age groups or areas or something!

I wasn't thinking too much bling, just maybe flowers for a bridal manicure and the odd little pattern! (ill probably get hooked!)

Im gonna order some stuff and have a play see how I am with it first of all!

I wasn't thinking too much bling, just maybe flowers for a bridal manicure and the odd little pattern! (ill probably get hooked!)

Im gonna order some stuff and have a play see how I am with it first of all!

Check out Nailtopia - Nail Art Products

They have loads of flower decals, rhinestones, etc. which can look really effective without too much artistic flair needed!

I'm self taught for nail art.

I bought a bunch of brushes, dollar store and from nail products pro site. And played.... LOTS:lol:

I searched for tuts on the net, saved any pictures of ideas or tutorials to my hardrive in a folder of 'nail art to try'.

One thing thats a good investment is the paint on, wipe of mats with step by step insctructions.
Like these: Nail Art Teaching Guides (there's a lil video on this page to show it in action)

TG-6pc.jpg

Vrush brushes are an absolute MUST!!! Way better than any striper you'll find.
Dollar store water based acrylic paint (nothing pricey) is the way to go. MUCH Easier to work with than any polish and you can mix your colours easily.
What I like best is you do your nail polish background. Let dry fully. Then paint with the water based acrylic paint. If you goof, wipe off with water, and the polish isn't hurt :wink2: then seal with a clear top coat or uv sealant.

The key to learning nail art is:

HAVE FUN AND PLAY:!::!::!::!:
There are no mistakes in art. Just look at Picasso :lol::lol:

If ever there's anything in particular you want to learn, just post here: SOMEONE WILL have an answer for you on how to do it.

have fun
:hug:

Thanks for that! Ill have a look at Nailtopia and the video when I get home (im at work at the mo ha ha!) Im looking forward now to getting stuck in :) xx

as with all "ART" it is imagination, a course may teach you the basics ... but art is from withing, it's about originality, courses teach you to emulate someone else's ideas and churn out what has already been done .... is this art ? NAAAAAAAH.
Do your own thing using guidelines, unless (god forbid) you may invent yet another style of French Polish, can you tell I'm yawning ?

I did a VTCT in nail art and found it fun and informative.
It covered basic prep, aftercare and techniques.
The techniques were: rhinestones, foil, striping tape, glitter dust (stained glass), flatstones, jewellery, transfers, marbling, opalescent blending, hand painting and water release transfers.
Check out the tutorials on the site and have a go. x
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-art-tutorials/

Latest posts

Back