Nail art

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicki Goodway

Reaction score
Ive been doing all beauty therapy for almost 10years and when training in college (long time ago) we used acrylic paints to make nail art designs. I've been searching online to see what other methods are used. But cant seem to find any answer? Can anybody help? Im curious to know if its possible to do nail art designs using gel? Or nail polish? TIA

Yes there are some gels that work better than others. Just have to find ones that have more of a acrylic paint consistency vetro no.19 seems to work really well for me either the normal or hard ones

I find no gel polish is pigmented enough for nail art, but there are 'art specific' gels now which are highly pigmented and designed for detailed art. They tend to be in pots like traditional gel rather than bottles like gel polish. Off the top of my head Young Nails do a range called Mission Control I think.

'One Stroke' paints are used for One Stroke flowers, etc. It's highly pigmented acrylic paint but can sometimes still need two coats for better definition.

Stamping polishes are pretty good for art as they are designed for one coat coverage.

All that said, acrylic paint works as well as it always did, just ask Robin Moses!

I think it depends what nail art your doing, acrylic paints work best for detailed intricate designs. If your using a dotting tool or even detail brush for lines I use gel a lot. I find gel easy to work with and you can cure as you go. So for instance I was doing large dots in a atmetrical design but I'd cure a few then move on, save any smudging. I prefer to do nail art on gel polish so it dries quickly. I don't have the patients for normal polish even the ones that dry quickly x

I’ve tried lots and find nail art gels are by far the best. I’d been using acrylic paints and it’s so much easier and precise using the gels.

I’ve tried lots and find nail art gels are by far the best. I’d been using acrylic paints and it’s so much easier and precise using the gels.
Which gel arts have you tried that work well? I'm looking for so.e gel arts that blend well..to use for one stroke..theres so many to choose from and shipping takes forever.

I hand paint using Ikon.iQ Prima gels. They paint very positively with fine work and brush ombre really well too. I put this down to the texture of the gel (not too runny or sticky) and the super high pigmentation. This was all done with Prima gel with the gold from the Ikon.iQ Inspire range... no other special art gels or anything else.
baecec425ac73e0cea103fa822c2ab2f.jpg

I hand paint using Ikon.iQ Prima gels. They paint very positively with fine work and brush ombre really well too. I put this down to the texture of the gel (not too runny or sticky) and the super high pigmentation. This was all done with Prima gel with the gold from the Ikon.iQ Inspire range... no other special art gels or anything else.
baecec425ac73e0cea103fa822c2ab2f.jpg

They are flawless! [emoji847]

They are flawless! [emoji847]
These are so beautiful. Is Ikon the brand you use for your regular gel polish or do you have other brands you like?

I use Ikon.iQ mostly, but I do have Bio Sculpture too. I wouldn't fancy trying to use that for this kind of art though!

I am so sorry for jumping on this thread as it's not really related, well kind of.

@Alison Pilkington-Child I was wondering how you use pigments and glitters with Ikon.Iq. I am really interested in investing in a few bottles to trial properly, but I use a lot of pigments, powders and glitters for my nail art and I know the Ikon.IQ gels cure without an inhibition layer, which has put me off doing a big order.

The base gel is super sticky, even if you try to reduce the tack you’ll struggle and all the colours have an inhibition layer. The only thing that doesn’t is the no-wipe top coat. If I want to embed something like glitter etc that I’ve put over a colour I use one coat of base which is thick like a builder, buff it very carefully to get a smooth finish if needed and then apply a top coat to finish.

The base gel is super sticky, even if you try to reduce the tack you’ll struggle and all the colours have an inhibition layer. The only thing that doesn’t is the no-wipe top coat. If I want to embed something like glitter etc that I’ve put over a colour I use one coat of base which is thick like a builder, buff it very carefully to get a smooth finish if needed and then apply a top coat to finish.

Thank you! I just have the trial kit and struggled to apply powder to the colour.

If it’s a chrome powder or similar, rub it onto freshly cured no wipe top, that works a treat.

Latest posts

Back