Nail bed hurts with electric nail filing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viv1977

Reaction score
Is this normal lady came and did my refills on my acrylic nail for me yesterday and my nail bed hurt as she was filing it think i am going to give it a break for a while or just paint them myself.

No,this is not normal!!
You shouldn't feel pain while filing, handfiling or electric filing. Probably you were feeling the heat on your nail. That is because the electric file is too long on one place, resulting in overfiling and heatspike

Oh is that what the pain is the heat also she cuts the nAil down with the drill pushes it across kills my nail, tell you want iam so looking forward to learning what she should be doing when I start me course in march lol

Well, all I can say is I hope you learn to do it better than her. And please, if you are on your course, don't use an efile unless you do a specific course for it. Great luck with your course in march

They don't use them just normal nail files

Electric drills shouldn't be used on the natural nail!! My past lecturers at NSI couldn't express this enough and it is known to cause all sorts of problems!
When getting extensions the nail should be lightly etched using a normal nail file to remove surface shine and create a rough surface for the acrylic or gel to cling to.
An electric drill is completely unnecessary for this part of the service and to be honest I think it is just lazy!
The only time a drill should should be used(if ever) is once the acrylic/gel is applied to speed up the filing time as it can take ages.
Also if a nail tech pulls out a drill, make sure they have a certificate on the wall or with them that says they have done a course and are qualified to use a drill.
Better to be safe than sorry!
Hope this helped xx

Electric drills shouldn't be used on the natural nail!! My past lecturers at NSI couldn't express this enough and it is known to cause all sorts of problems!
When getting extensions the nail should be lightly etched using a normal nail file to remove surface shine and create a rough surface for the acrylic or gel to cling to.
An electric drill is completely unnecessary for this part of the service and to be honest I think it is just lazy!
The only time a drill should should be used(if ever) is once the acrylic/gel is applied to speed up the filing time as it can take ages.
Also if a nail tech pulls out a drill, make sure they have a certificate on the wall or with them that says they have done a course and are qualified to use a drill.
Better to be safe than sorry!
Hope this helped xx

I have been certified for 12 yrs and have only used my drill to start taking down product. When you get closer to natural nail bed you use a hand file and nothing overly course. I use 2-3 different files while approaching a natural nail bed.
Never had any heat issues

I use my drill with a buffing shammy and buffing cream to add shine after a luxury manicure as using a hand shammy takes forever. As I believe it's usually the high street nail bars that use drills on the natural nails, I can feel the pain. Just thinking about it. X

It's not necessary, but an e file can be used on the natural nail if the correct bits and pressure are used. If a tech is correctly trained and proficient in using an e file and all the correct bits, they can yield the exact same results as a hand file. And an untrained, or not well trained tech can also do the exact same damage with hand files as an incorrectly used e file. Most techs incorrectly using an e file on the natural nails are using the incorrect grit, incorrect speed, and using too much pressure, taking off too much nail and causing pain. I believe most use a medium 180 grit bit (the brown disposable tube ones that slips on), but with high quality files like the Kupa, they do make diamond bits that come in 240 (safe for natural nails).

Thanks all but it shouldn't hurt thou which it does when she uses it on me to file the acrylic down

No. It shouldn't hurt. She's not doing it right.

I had dip nails done for the first time ever and had them removed today. All i knew about removing them was that I had to come in for "a soak." So that is what I asked for. The tech then proceeded to use the electric filer on my nails before soaking them. I asked him if this is what is normally done (because I had no clue) and he said yes. I paid in full and left a tip. Now that I'm home, I have these gauged out nail beds that are really painful. I'm looking online and realizing this is not normal. :( What should I do?

I had dip nails done for the first time ever and had them removed today. All i knew about removing them was that I had to come in for "a soak." So that is what I asked for. The tech then proceeded to use the electric filer on my nails before soaking them. I asked him if this is what is normally done (because I had no clue) and he said yes. I paid in full and left a tip. Now that I'm home, I have these gauged out nail beds that are really painful. I'm looking online and realizing this is not normal. :( What should I do?
I would take some photos of your nails and contact the salon to say you are in pain and not happy with the removal service.

Hi, I know this is an old thread but it has various bits of info I’d like to ask more about if anyone can help.

I’ve been struggling with gel removal and timing. I followed advice on here which helped speed things up a bit but I’m still not confident with filing. I’ve been using a 240 for gel application prep and for when I get to the natural nail during removal but it leaves scratches. I love a 240 for shaping though. Am I too heavy handed? I’m planning on buying a higher grit file and just wondered what anyone could recommend? I feel I’ve spent a fortune on files and buffing blocks and haven’t found any grits I’m 100% happy with for doing the job I was taught they’d do. I know this must be down to my technique though as I’ve not found one bit of info that says a 240 can damage the natural nail.

I used a stone bit on my efile on myself the other day and gently went over the surface of my nail and it worked like a dream, no shine, no scratches, but I’m not qualified to use an efile yet plus I haven’t tested out a gel application and wear with this prep method yet.

I’ve uploaded a photo of a gel removal I did yesterday (this was half way through, right after I’d finally removed all the gel, mostly by filing off since the foil wrap just didn’t work). It’s really hard to see but on the middle finger on the left hand I think you can make out some scratches. The 2nd removal of the day went better, but I’m sure I remember seeing some scratches on the nail bed but they can’t be made out in the photo so I haven’t uploaded it.

Also, I’ve just invested in INK and Ikon.IQ trial packages as I’d been practicing with a generic gel brand (I bought them when I was just starting out, before I knew about how bad they are) so I’m hoping with a better quality product and system I’ll find removal easier too. These brands also say you can leave some of their base coats on, then build up from there again, so the natural nail bed is always protected. But again I don’t feel confident that I’d recognise when to stop filing.

I start part time in a salon next week and I don’t feel ready, purely because of my gel removal and filing, am I ok to send people elsewhere for gel removal until I get more practice outside of the salon? All I’m offering at first is manicures (regular and spa), gel polish, (possibly xLac for those that don’t like the gel removal process), and nail art. (I’m planning to build up my skills in the future to include Acrygel and BIAB but for now I want to focus on mastering all aspects of gel and focus on nail art too).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• 8AB5110A-6CC9-402E-8A2E-182E5E174AF3.jpeg
    8AB5110A-6CC9-402E-8A2E-182E5E174AF3.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back