Nail biters!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs hardy

Reaction score
Is it just me. Every time I do a set on a nail biter they take forever and they look terrible. Had one to one training and seemed to get on ok, but when it comes to doing a set on my own especially a nail biter I go down hill again, should I just give it up?

Nail biters are notoriously hard to nails on, they have very little to work with, no side walls etc , Even the most seasoned nail techs will find nail biters tricky, i wouldn't beat yourself up too much :)

Also another thing i found when i first training in nails, is that your eye improves quicker than your skill. So what i mean is that is when you first start out you do a set on yourself or someone else and you think they are amazing, then you read and learn all the ins and out of good design so you know what they should look like to be a perfect set of nails and as you do more sets of nails you begin to see all the faults that you didn't know about before, so you think your getting worse but really your just getting better at spotting faults with the design of nails…. but this is a good thing as you know what to improve :)

Ps i'm never happy with a set of nails there is alway something i spot that i could improve on ;)

Aww noreen that has made me feel so much better thanks for the support.

Nail biters are the worst to work on, like Noreen says you have all of the worst traits to start with and have to try to make them look beautiful AND hard-wearing - it's a thankless task :confused:

Your best course of action is to do the nails and then get the client back in no less than a week later to do some refining. By then they will have grown just enough for you to redefine the side walls and narrow them down so they don't look so wide (super short always looks really wide), you can also remove any of those almost imperceptable lumps, rough edges and potential 'nibble' points (they are there, trust me, I'm a seasoned nail biter, I can find any spot ripe for a nibble!) You can re-educate about Solar Oil use and stop any potential problems in their tracks. Then book in for religious 2 weekly appointments, leave it longer and the whole set will be gone ;)

Whilst it can be totally disheartening for us Techs to produce less than (to us) perfect nails, nail biters are usually so overwhelmed by how lovely they look they are eternally grateful, and that soothes my perfectionist heart :p. And if you manage to get them to kick the habit and have great nails it's worth a million dollars to your self-esteem :D

Last edited:
Nail biters are the worst to work on, like Noreen says you have all of the worst traits to start with and have to try to make them look beautiful AND hard-wearing - it's a thankless task :confused:

Your best course of action is to do the nails and then get the client back in no less than a week later to do some refining. By then they will have grown just enough for you to redefine the side walls and narrow them down so they don't look so wide (super short always looks really wide), you can also remove any of those almost imperceptable lumps, rough edges and potential 'nibble' points (they are there, trust me, I'm a seasoned nail biter, I can find any spot ripe for a nibble!) You can re-educate about Solar Oil use and stop any potential problems in their tracks. Then book in for religious 2 weekly appointments, leave it longer and the whole set will be gone ;)

Whilst it can be totally disheartening for us Techs to product less than (to us) perfect nails, nail biters are usually so overwhelmed by how lovely they look they are eternally grateful, and that soothes my perfectionist heart :p. And if you manage to get them to kick the habit and have great nails it's worth a million dollars to your self-esteme :D
Wow thanks I didn't realise everyone felt the same with nail biters thought I was a bit of a failure.Feel so much better about it now x

Is it just me. Every time I do a set on a nail biter they take forever and they look terrible. Had one to one training and seemed to get on ok, but when it comes to doing a set on my own especially a nail biter I go down hill again, should I just give it up?
No don't give up, it's only practice. U tube have some great videos on creating an acrylic nail for a nail bitter, probably best to sculpt at least the nail bed a little longer before glueing on a tip if thats how you wanted to extend them. I personally wouldn't apply a tip until I got her natural nail a little longer so it can comfortably carry an enhancement, I would sculpt a very short nail to help grow her natural nail out first. Get yourself a practice hand they even have short nails to practice with.

Latest posts

Back