Nail Biters !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyG.

Reaction score
Help !!!
Having huge problem with L&P on nail biters.
Can anyone offer any advice at all as Im feeling pretty fed up at the mo!
I have been a nail tech for over 3 yrs now, but always seem to have a problem with nail biters? Whenever I have applied the tip & acrylic the nail always tends to look bulky. I am never happy with the finished product, maybe because the nail bed is too short. I usually apply the natural tips & illusion sculpt the white tip, then use flawless pink to camouflage the imperfections etc. Why is it they always tend to lift when I am confident that I am doing a thorough prep ???
Hope somebody can offer me some invaluable advice, I really would appreciate
it !!

Hi Sammy,

do you do the saddle cut out at the sides? Do you file out most of the well before placing the tip on.

I have found that using clear tips is better for biters as you dont have that extra shadow to worry about.

Try using less product and make your beads smaller - you can always add more but you cant take it away - except by filing.

You will never be able to do a perfect set of nails on a nail biter as you would on someone with long elegant nail beds but you can make a huge difference.

If they are lifting within days then it is probably down to you unless they are biting them. Try leaving a larger gap round the cuticle and sidewalls than you would normally - if there is any space for a larger gap LOL.

Hope some of this has helped a bit.

Thanks Fiona,
For your words of advice, I will certainly try the clear tips a I am sure this
will help ! Do you still thin the tip out & blend ??
The last set of nails done on a nail biter did actually have a free edge therefore didnt require me to saddle the sides of the tip, although not over confident with doing this anyway !!!!
Do you advise using Nailfresh/primer on nail biters ??
Sorry I bet you think Im really mad, I am usually really confident & feel that my nails are of a v good standard but one complaint has knocked me for a
real six !!!
Appreciate any advice !

naturalnails said:
Hi Sammy,

do you do the saddle cut out at the sides? Do you file out most of the well before placing the tip on.

I have found that using clear tips is better for biters as you dont have that extra shadow to worry about.

Try using less product and make your beads smaller - you can always add more but you cant take it away - except by filing.

You will never be able to do a perfect set of nails on a nail biter as you would on someone with long elegant nail beds but you can make a huge difference.

If they are lifting within days then it is probably down to you unless they are biting them. Try leaving a larger gap round the cuticle and sidewalls than you would normally - if there is any space for a larger gap LOL.

Hope some of this has helped a bit.
Here is a visual aid to help you to understand how to get the nail to look brill and stay on...............

To Adhere the tip use Gelbond, this will cushion the tip and reduces airbubbles.............

Makic Makeover class is perfect for this................. It will teach you how to solve the problem with problem nails.....

Also before applying enhancements on nailbiters, have them come in a week before their enhancement appointment, to have a brill manicure, this will reduce the harder cuticles as nailbiters tend to have the cuticles from hell and it can take more then just one thourough prep to get the nail tip friendly............
You could call this the enhancement special.................. inlcude the the first manicure in the overall price of the Full Set............
Also get them to use Cuticle remover every night on their nail, to be washed off in the morning............

I have a Canibal package..........
£75 for a first manicure incl. a bottle of cuticel remover + a pinky Solar oil, plus their enhancement a week later.................
The normal price for Enhancements alone is £55.00 here in the City of London, just incase you are fainting at my prices...............

HTH

Attachments

• bitten nail pics geek.jpg
    bitten nail pics geek.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 119
Hi SammyG

How long was it before the lifting started do you know? You obviously know how to PREP, have you tried a different liquid? E.g. if your using Retention+ have you tried radical? Or vice-versa? Just wondering about the strength of bond to the nail plate.

I always pre-tailor my tips and cut out saddles in the side walls of the tips if needs be. Adhere the tip with gelbond to get a nice upper arch, and blend in (ensuring the tip is blended nice and thin at the free-edge).

I find a sculptor brush is the best on nail biters as it is smaller than the pro-styler and REALLY accurate on little nails. I tend to use soft white on the free-edge to give a softer look to the enhancements.

If you are sure you have done everything right, then who's to say the 'nail-biter' has stopped 'nail-bitiing' now she has enhancements???? Old habits die hard, and you don't know what people do with their nails once they have left your salon.

Don't beat yourself up hun, for all you know she could be at home picking at her nails right now! Not your fault.

Chin up

Jenny - Nails x x x x

What do you mean cut out sadles in the sides, i have never heard this before, also why is it done?

Thanks
Lisa xxx

Have to say it is harder doing nail biters, i always use tip bond gel as Ruth says as it provides a good cushion for the client. You must make sure they aren't long, i find they have to only be as long as the finger itself. Sometimes slightly over but it does depend on how much nail they have in the first place.

Good luck anyway but as others have said she is probably chewing them right now. A client of mine shortly after finishing hers she made me a cuppa and was chatting to me with her fingers back in her mouth. I said to her don't do that you will lift them, she was really unaware she was doing it. Its such a habit for some people they don't know when they do it.:|

dazzlingtouch said:
What do you mean cut out sadles in the sides, i have never heard this before, also why is it done?

Thanks
Lisa xxx

Saddling the tip is when you remove part of the side wall of the chosen tip. Use curved scissors and cut a slither of tip away, making allowance for the bulbous skin around the bitten nailplate. A bit like a jigsaw piece,it has to fit snug......
This enables the tip to sit nice and comfy on the nail plate, it stops the tip form digging into the skin at the side walls, flush fitting means less pickings for the clients and a nice look, not ski jump as this can happen, because the bulbous skin can push a tip , creating the illusion of ski jump nails...........
I hope this little picture helps to visualize this!!!!!

Attachments

• bitten nail pics geek.jpg
    bitten nail pics geek.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 97
Thankyou,
I really appreciate all your advice, I will take these comments on board & give them a go!
It really does mean a lot to me to know that I can ask for advice & always get a good response. This site is really one fantastic idea, and being a nail tech is no longer a lonely business!! (if you see what I mean)! Thanks to Samuel. So Thanks Again, ! (Everyone)"!! :D

ruth has obviously listened to me very well in her make over magic class!
one other thing to remember after "saddleing" the tip, as ruth said, use gel bond.
most nail plates of nail biters tend to b ski jump.
if this is the case, after placing the stop gap of the tip against the free edge (what free edge there is!), slowing start to put pressure on the contact area, watching the gel bond "move" up & fill the contact area.
the important thing to do at this moment is only close the gap between the contact area & the nail plate untill the lower arch formed by the new tip is at the correct angle.
the whole point of using gel bond for this, is that it fills gaps.
hold the tip at the desired angle until the adhesive would've set(about 10 secs)
blend in the seam & into the gel bond, then apply product as normal.
this is sometimes hard to visualise, much easier to demo!
liza xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back