Nail business at 15, would you even get insurance?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracyjayne

Reaction score
When having a look about on Facebook I found this young girl advertising acrylic nail extensions and nail art etc her prices was like £15 for acrylic extensions. She looked really young I just randomly asked were she trained in response she told me she was only 15 she never really said she hadn't been trained but really I don't think has she did go on to say she would be doing shellac soon and I should come and have my nails done. But again I would think it would be shellac u can buy in eBay etc and not be trained either. Anyway I am a bit surprised her parents letting her do this she must not insurance or anything how does everyone else feel about this? X

They do it at school, so she could of trained at 15. I'm not sure about insurance though I don't think she would be able to get it at 15. Let's face it there are loads of adults doing it without training so I don't think it's any worse a 15 year old doing it. But there is nothing to stop them at the moment which is a shame for all the people who spend their money and time to do so. Xxx

Why do you care? its not going to have any effect on your life is it. Sometimes you just have to think if it does not alter my day to day life then who cares! There will always be somebody young or unqualified, or using fake shellac? Or £10 a set ppl out there. They don't last and are usually good for business because you can pick up where they left off.

To be honest I'm concerned about the implications if something went wrong who would be responsible then?

To be honest I'm concerned about the implications if something went wrong who would be responsible then?

Her parents I presume as she is a minor.

Why are you concerned? You didn't do it! Stop worrying about what others are doing and concentrate on your own career. You will always come across these people. No matter how many years you have been in this industry.

Look at her as an aspiring young girl wanting to start out early with her own business in the industry, she's not going to be a threat to your business nor should she be any concern of yours or anyone else who doesn't even know her. There are a lot of other '15 year old' teenager things she could be doing that could be a much bigger concern!

OP - I'm guessing you haven't heard of Jazzmin Smedley? :wink2:

Yes there maybe issues with insurance and training but we can't judge if we don't know the background I say good on her for being only 15 and already business focused imagine what she will be doing at 20.

They do it at school, so she could of trained at 15. I'm not sure about insurance though I don't think she would be able to get it at 15. Let's face it there are loads of adults doing it without training so I don't think it's any worse a 15 year old doing it. But there is nothing to stop them at the moment which is a shame for all the people who spend their money and time to do so. Xxx

They do what at school ?

x

Yes, I believe Jaz Smedley started out at just 15 (albeit under her mums wing) and if I am correct, she now has her own business. She is qualified in all that she does.

Dont let these things get to you. Whether someone is doing cheap nails, not qualified etc. As long as you are running your business properly and you have clients then that is all that matters.

I have even had young girls come to me to have their nails done, they have trained at school on their school beauty course and have sat there saying, "Oh I dont do it like that". I just say, people train in different ways and you will come across all sorts of ways to do nails over your time in the industry.

They ask questions and if they seem genuinely interested then I will give them little pointers and remind them that perfect prepping is key to a good set of nails.

They still come back to me for infills and new sets etc. As long as they pay, I dont mind.

The sooner the industry is covered by legislation the sooner the bad salons will disappear. THAT is what we want. ;)

If my daughter decides to come into the business at 15 I would be thankful for that. There's a lot worse she could be doing.

Perhaps this young girl (if not under the wing of a parent) needs a bit of guidance to help her along. She could be the Gigi Rouse/Marian Newman of the future!! xx

They do what at school ?

x

Schools offer collegiate beauty and hair courses. They are usually level one trained and cover the basics of manicure, I believe.

Yes, I believe Jaz Smedley started out at just 15 (albeit under her mums wing) and if I am correct, she now has her own business. She is qualified in all that she does.

Dont let these things get to you. Whether someone is doing cheap nails, not qualified etc. As long as you are running your business properly and you have clients then that is all that matters.

I have even had young girls come to me to have their nails done, they have trained at school on their school beauty course and have sat there saying, "Oh I dont do it like that". I just say, people train in different ways and you will come across all sorts of ways to do nails over your time in the industry.

They ask questions and if they seem genuinely interested then I will give them little pointers and remind them that perfect prepping is key to a good set of nails.

They still come back to me for infills and new sets etc. As long as they pay, I dont mind.

The sooner the industry is covered by legislation the sooner the bad salons will disappear. THAT is what we want. ;)

She's 16 this year. (For anyone who hasn't heard of her - she's the daughter of Georgie and Jason Smedley who own Nail Harmony). There was a very interesting feature about her in Dec 2011 Scratch magazine. She's trained in manicure, pedicure and gel nails, having been "playing" with her mum's products since the age of 9, and she has her own nail desk at Nail Harmony HQ with a growing list of clients, even though she's still at school. She's planning on entering the 2012 Nailympics in the Soak Off Gel Manicure category.

Schools offer collegiate beauty and hair courses. They are usually level one trained and cover the basics of manicure, I believe.

Is this something that happens in England? I've never heard of any type of beauty course being offered on the Scottish curriculum. I would of killed to do beauty at school!

Is this something that happens in England? I've never heard of any type of beauty course being offered on the Scottish curriculum. I would of killed to do beauty at school!

They do do it up here in scotland too. My school did but it was only open to the less academic pupils (foundation/general level) which sucked. They offered beauty, hairdressing, florestry and engineering.

Yep they tend to be offered to the lower academic end for a few reasons-one this type of pupil at school age tends to behave better in practical classes and two schools don't feel it will have such a massive impact on their other grades. The middle and upper band kids are likely to drop grades if they have set days our if school and are often discouraged from collegiate programmes.

There really is no benefit to doing these courses if you're serious about a career in beauty/hair as most often you start your formal training at or after 16 anyway. Xx

I trained in nail extensions and bio scultpture when i was 14 i paid privately for it and had insurance :)

Good for you. If my daughters...or son, wanted to do the same, I would definitely encourage them. How long ago did you do your training.I am assuming you finished school...do you work for yourself or as an employee :) xx

They do do it up here in scotland too. My school did but it was only open to the less academic pupils (foundation/general level) which sucked. They offered beauty, hairdressing, florestry and engineering.

The least academic thing at my boring school was H.E! I think that's a great idea, wish they had done it in my city x

Latest posts

Back