nail courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is my first time on forum so bere with me. I have just passed a nail tech course through the post with stonebridge university and although I have practiced loads with family and friends with manicures i have not yet done any gel, acrylic or fibre. Although I have dvd,s ect on how to do it, i am a bit nervous and want to know if you think it is advisasble to do a day course to boost my confidence. Please let me know if this is advisable or if I should just bite the bullet and practice on friends. If a course is advisable does anyone know if their is one I can do in Taunton as I have kids and work part time.
I look forward to your advice, many thanks,
sharon x x

Hi everyone,
This is my first time on forum so bere with me. I have just passed a nail tech course through the post with stonebridge university and although I have practiced loads with family and friends with manicures i have not yet done any gel, acrylic or fibre. Although I have dvd,s ect on how to do it, i am a bit nervous and want to know if you think it is advisasble to do a day course to boost my confidence. Please let me know if this is advisable or if I should just bite the bullet and practice on friends. If a course is advisable does anyone know if their is one I can do in Taunton as I have kids and work part time.
I look forward to your advice, many thanks,
sharon x x

My opinion is that as nails is a hands-on, practical skill backed up by thorough in-depth theoretical knowledge there is no way you can learn it through the post and be a competant Nail Technician. Learning enhancements via a dvd is really hard - how do you ask questions? When things don't go right how do you know what to change?

If you lack confidence you need to do a course, and not a 1 day course which wont teach you enough. If you 'bite the bullet' and practice on friends you stand a good chance of damaging their nails as well as risking things like over-exposure.

Plenty of good companies offer fantastic, in-depth courses. Creative Nail Design have educators in Bristol and Plymouth - give Sweet Squared a call on 0845 210 6060 and they can give you the info. Good courses aren't cheap, but then neither is the foundation of a career in any field.

hth's

Thanks for your imput yvette . I totally agree with what your saying. However we did get to ask our tutor questions and I did really well on the theory side of things but want to further my skills to be able to offer nail extensions ect. At the moment I only offer basic manicure and pedicures and all my clients know that I have trained from home and luckily enough for me seem to be happy with my service because they still keep coming back every week. Someone suggested to me that the Jessica course was the best one to do. What does everyone else think? Its just a shame I have already forked out £300!
thanks sharon x x

hiya i started a college course to be a nail tech in september and there is so much more to learn than you realise, i definatly wouldn't learn nail enhancements on real clients until you've been shown how to do things properly, i don't think a dvd is the same as having a tutor as it can't tell you off if you're doing it wrong.
hope this helps
lisa
x

My opinion is that as nails is a hands-on, practical skill backed up by thorough in-depth theoretical knowledge there is no way you can learn it through the post and be a competant Nail Technician. Learning enhancements via a dvd is really hard - how do you ask questions? When things don't go right how do you know what to change?

If you lack confidence you need to do a course, and not a 1 day course which wont teach you enough. If you 'bite the bullet' and practice on friends you stand a good chance of damaging their nails as well as risking things like over-exposure.

Plenty of good companies offer fantastic, in-depth courses. Creative Nail Design have educators in Bristol and Plymouth - give Sweet Squared a call on 0845 210 6060 and they can give you the info. Good courses aren't cheap, but then neither is the foundation of a career in any field.

hth's

I go with Vetty on this one.

i had done a course a few year back with a crappy collage, nothing ever come of it but the beginning of this year i decided that NAILS is what i want to do so i started doing it for friends and family i was happy with that i was doing but if any one was asking a question on nails i couldn't answer because i hadn't had any back ground info on them just how to do them. Anyway i booked up and done the CND foundation course and its the best thing i have ever done. Its a lot of money to pay but there training and products are really really good.

xx

I did a cert II at my local college.. cost a pretty penny.. was hands on.. but i still didnt learn as much as i did through a conversion!!!
I cant see how anyone can learn nails online or through correspondence.. they must be smarter then me..
I spent most of my time in my tutors ears asking questions.. Look, im sure you can get the basic info and the basic idea.. but do you really want to put out basic nails? because their will be someone around the corner who is better!!
The fact that your asking questions shows that you want better then basic.. so get yourself a good course and go for it!:green:

Thanks everyone for all your good advice. I'm definately going to do a practical nail course now, all I have to do is decide which one. Better start saving!!!!!
love sharon x x

Latest posts

Back