Nail dryness from gel polish removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulesT

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have some clients that experience excessive dryness. The removal process I think is taking a toll on the nails due to the acetone, which is leaving white marks/dehydrated like areas on nails. Has anyone else experienced this? What o or use to prevent this?

I have been using OPI, and use the expert touch remover.

I don't use OPI , but as it is the remover designed for the job you shouldn't think about changing it. It's more likely to be a client with a very thin and delicate nail plate and the gel is grabbing off the surface and causing surface damage to the nails.

A drop of cuticle oil on the nail/cuticle area before wrapping with the remover foils may help you if it's not what I think.

IBX can repair such surface damage if you need to maybe think about repair to those clients with the problem. I offer it for my more delicate nail clients. They usually are very pale skinned ladies/a bit older or on some medications that could potentially experience this problem.

I am sure another geek will come along and add their perpective on things.

OPI Expert Touch is a great remover for soak off gels.
The remover itself should not cause long term damage but the nail and skin will look white and dehydrated, easily fixed by apply cuticle oil.
Any marks on the nail after this would be damage caused in the removal process. If this is occurring leave the soak off process longer as the product should separate from the nail with little effort, never pry it off.

Thanks will try what you both have mentioned. It happens more with client with ridges, and some elderly.

Sometimes damage looks like dehydration - both leaving white marks on the nails. If it is dehydration, then some cuticle oil ought to fix it. If the marks remain after treating, then you should double check your processes to identify where the damage is being done.

Hello Jules,
I have had a similar issue with an older client with ridges / on medication. I was advised to switch base coats..I use Ink London and use their Flubber base on all clients, but was advised to switch to their ‘base elevation’ for this client..apparently some base coats can be overly strong for weaker nails x

Latest posts

Back