Nail dust, Dyson fan or extractor?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanyaMackie

Reaction score
Hey ladies, I’m in need of a nail dust extractor. I don’t want anything too big or noisy. Something that I can sort of hid away. I have a glass desk so no chance of me having one built into the desk.

I was thinking about a dyson hot, cold and air purifiers to cover a couple of things at once but I’m not sure if their air purification will be enough. It says it removes 99.5% of air dust, fumes etc.

Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thank you xx

Nah, I would get one made for the job. If you were to get a knock on the door from the local council they would expect you to have something that conforms to Health and Safety regulations. There are minimum standards in place for dust and vapour removal.

Ideally, you need a filter system that cleans the air within your "working zone". It won't help much if a Dyson is humming away in the corner of the salon, while you breath dust straight of the e-file. In the UK, the Vodex is a serious product - my preference is the Pure Air with two inlets - which can be used with their Fileaway to suck air from below, while using the other pipe to suck from above. You could also use this with two tables if they are close.
https://www.vodex.co.uk/extraction-for-beauty-treatments

We use a similar but different product from Sweden. We also use a Dyson. I originally bought the Dyson for a different purpose, but out of interest tried it in our salon. I was quite (!) surprised to see the the air pollution display was red - suggesting the Swedish filter was not capturing 100% of the dust. After it ran for an hour, the display returned to a safe green level.

Needless to say, it stayed in the salon.

"We use a similar but different product from Sweden. We also use a Dyson. I originally bought the Dyson for a different purpose, but out of interest tried it in our salon. I was quite (!) surprised to see the the air pollution display was red - suggesting the Swedish filter was not capturing 100% of the dust. After it ran for an hour, the display returned to a safe green level."
The reason the Dyson is capturing the dangerous nail dust at a distance is the unit you are using and a Vodex etc only operate at a speed of 100metres per hour, the information is on their websites. This means that unless you work directly over the mouth of the tube it will not capture all the dust. I presume your staff work under good working practice standards and do this, but the Dyson still detects "air pollution". This is obviously after your staff and your clients have breathed it in before it gets to the Dyson!

Latest posts

Back