Nail extensions for male guitarist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TotaleeNails

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ok, so I have been asked by a chap whether I can do short nail extensions for him as he plays guitar. He only wants them on one hand and his natural nails are very short. I am qualified with CND L&P and Brisa. I think that L&P sculpts will be better for him but can anyone advise with what colour will look the most natural, shall I just go clear or maybe perfect pink? I am just concerned that you will still be able to see his natural nail if I go for something clear :rolleyes:

Any advise greatly appreciated

Tracey

If he's going to be using them as finger picks, I would advise not to do it for him cuz
A) nail enhancements should not be used as tools. Finger picks are pretty inexpensive so suggest he purchase a set of those instead. They come in plastic or steel and slip right over the finger.
And
B) he's going to end up damaging all your hard work, and he might end up hurting himself and blaming you.

We're always advising our female clients not to use their enhancements as tools, men shouldn't be any different.

If he's just getting them to cover up his short nails for cosmetic reasons, then that wouldn't be a problem. Other than that I am unable to help you pick a color as I do not use CND.

Last edited:
I had a gent in a couple of times that would just come in if he broke one of his nails and he had a gig to do he said he uses his nails as he is a classical player and they dont use pics. Anyway i just tipped it and applied a few layers of clear gel i was using Axxium at the time and i think possibly one layer of pink then top coat. Then i got the slightly rough side of a buffer and just slightly roughed it up abit so it wasnt shiny and he was really happy came back again few months later for the same thing and i retailed him matte nail envy and havent seen him since.
Hope this helps xx

I regularly do a professional guitar player, the strings act like a cheese grater on the surface if his nail without some protection :eek:

Over the last couple of years we've managed to get him to the point that he only needs his index finger doing now instead of index, middle and ring finger.

I use L&P, clear and no extra length, each one lasts him about 4-6 weeks, he plays professionally and teaches so they take quite a beating over that time.

He is also very good at using his solar oil now as he listened and trusts my advice.

I don't buff to a shine, just finish with the smooth side of a koala and solar oil, only he and I know it's there :biggrin:

Paul McCartney apparently has had acrylic overlays for years and if it's good enough for him . . . :wink2:

Having recently started learning the guitar I think you could do with an overlay on the pads of your fingers of your non-strumming hand for when you hold the strings down :idea:

I've played the guitar since I was 11. The best sound comes from mix of fingertip and a teeny bit of nail (unless you're finger plucking the blues or playing a banjo in which it's best to just use slip on plectrums). Beginners will find it difficult to hold the strings down on the fret, but with practice, and exercising on a spring-loaded gripper, the fingers get stronger.

I can understand if a guitar player wanted an overlay to make the nails a bit thicker if they had thin nails, but to have tip going over the finger tip (which I have seen), can NOT be good. That would mean the guitarist is using only nail, the enhancement, and is constantly putting stress on it, pulling it up off the natural nail with each pluck. The only advice I could give to a string instrument player is to file their free edge instead of clipping every other day to keep it smooth and free of snags and chips, and Nail Envy. idk... That's just me.

Paul McCartney apparently has had acrylic overlays for years and if it's good enough for him . . . :wink2:

....and Billy Connolly for playing the banjo :wink2:

Hi Guys,

Ok, so I have been asked by a chap whether I can do short nail extensions for him as he plays guitar. He only wants them on one hand and his natural nails are very short. I am qualified with CND L&P and Brisa. I think that L&P sculpts will be better for him but can anyone advise with what colour will look the most natural, shall I just go clear or maybe perfect pink? I am just concerned that you will still be able to see his natural nail if I go for something clear :rolleyes:

Any advise greatly appreciated

Tracey

I have done quite a few guitar guys and you are right.. sculpt that on.

I use natural for this, clear is too clear and guys have commented that they felt it looked "weird" which I agree with, with natural it is all covered.

Unless shine is requested, leave the sculpt in a buffed matte state rather than too a shine as also most guys are not a fan of that either :)

As you get to know your guitar guys you can sculpt special angles and shapes for them - they usualy love this!

Enjoy :)

Latest posts

Back