Nail extensions help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiki-uk

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm qualified in extensions, acrylic & gel but I prefer to do gel. I haven't been doing them for a while though because I'm fed up of 2 things....firstly people expecting miracles such as 4 weeks between infills etc like they would do at some of the NSS salons, and also people turning up with like no nails at all, bitten right down but wanting extensions, again they are able to do this in the other salons so are annoyed that I can't/won't.
Does anyone else get these problems? How do you get around it? I'm thinking of just doing sculpts to help stop the problem. Also I'm starting to offer more gel overlays to help strengthen nails while they grow.
Sorry for waffling on a bit, lol

If my clients go over 3 weeks and want infills I charge the same price as a new set

Now that's a good rule to have, I'm implementing something similar with lashes so might try that! :) thank you, :)

4 weeks between infills isn't that miraculous, Are you using good quality products? I work with Brisa and 3.5-4 weeks is the norm for my clients, some even push it to 5 or 6... The out growth by then is horrendous in my opinion but 10 nails are still intact and it takes me the same amount of time to fill whether its 2 weeks of growth or 5 weeks so I don't charge differently. If it takes longer for you to fill based on regrowth then I would definitely say charge accordingly, Your time is money :)

Out of curiosity, why won't you do extensions on short bitten nails? I find those with more difficult nails are some of my most loyal and profitable clients.

I use all NSI gel, I wouldn't use cheap products. People don't seem to understand that nails provided by a nail tech are not as solid as such as the ones from the NSS salons. I wouldn't be happy with 5 weeks of growth on a set, I prefer regular maintenance to ensure their kept healthy and the balance is right etc.
I've always been taught not to do extensions on bitten nails. If you have to stick the tip to skin as opposed to nail then it's not healthy. I know there are always disagreements on this but personally I don't like applying tips to extremely bitten nails and skin

That's why it's usually best to sculpt on bitten nails.

I use all NSI gel, I wouldn't use cheap products. People don't seem to understand that nails provided by a nail tech are not as solid as such as the ones from the NSS salons. I wouldn't be happy with 5 weeks of growth on a set, I prefer regular maintenance to ensure their kept healthy and the balance is right etc.
I've always been taught not to do extensions on bitten nails. If you have to stick the tip to skin as opposed to nail then it's not healthy. I know there are always disagreements on this but personally I don't like applying tips to extremely bitten nails and skin

Ohhh you're referring to tips when you say extensions! lol Totally agree with you on that. I only do sculpted gel nails, no tips on anyone regardless of nail condition, they're just so much stronger.
I would of course prefer to see my clients on a 2-3 week schedule but that's not realistic for everyone. They're always well informed about the benefits of regular fills, nail Heath, etc etc. But they're are grown ups and it's there choice how to maintain and care for themselves. I just don't agree with refusing services or charging more as some kind of punishment for not living on your schedule - unless it takes you personally longer to fill a 4 week set than a 2 weeks set, in which case charge accordingly.

As a side note also - the area that I live and work in the going rate is close to $100 a full set and $65-$85 CAD for a fill, so I'm much more lenient as I know that can be a bit of an investment for some people

LOL! Massive confusion there! Yes I meant tips, so many people here go to the cheapy salons and get tips and acrylic that are as solid as cement and they get them even if they have badly bitten nails! I prefer to sculpt, but how do you do it on bitten nails that you can't pop a former under? Sorry if I sound stupid, lol,
Oh yeah I totally understand, we're all grown ups and if people choose to go longer between appointments etc it's up to them. Yeah I guess if it's more expensive you can let them off leaving it longer between appointments, :)

LOL! Massive confusion there! Yes I meant tips, so many people here go to the cheapy salons and get tips and acrylic that are as solid as cement and they get them even if they have badly bitten nails! I prefer to sculpt, but how do you do it on bitten nails that you can't pop a former under? Sorry if I sound stupid, lol,
Oh yeah I totally understand, we're all grown ups and if people choose to go longer between appointments etc it's up to them. Yeah I guess if it's more expensive you can let them off leaving it longer between appointments, :)
Young nails have great videos on you tube for sculpting and show how to deal with short nails.
The longer my clients go inbetween appointments, the more filing needs done and they are more likely to need repairs so this does take extra time. If someone came to me requesting infills at 5 weeks, I personally would be quicker sculpting a new set so my pricing works for me at present. I'm doing an efile course with Nsi this month so that may reduce my infill timing.

Young nails have great videos on you tube for sculpting and show how to deal with short nails.
The longer my clients go inbetween appointments, the more filing needs done and they are more likely to need repairs so this does take extra time. If someone came to me requesting infills at 5 weeks, I personally would be quicker sculpting a new set so my pricing works for me at present. I'm doing an efile course with Nsi this month so that may reduce my infill timing.
Ohhh I didn't even think about those doing fills without an efile, hand filing is really uncommon over here in Canada lol, That totally makes sense! :) I use one so it only takes me about 10-15 minutes to do my filing regardless of regrowth

In my part of Canada, hand filing is the norm, so you can't really generalize.

I'll pop on YouTube and have a look, :)

In my part of Canada, hand filing is the norm, so you can't really generalize.

I've lived, or traveled and worked all across the country for the last 6 years, so actually I can make a general statement :)

Yeah ok, but it's a big country

Yes I'm well aware of the size of Canada. I did not say every single nail tech in Canada uses an efile. I made the general statement, from east to west coast efile of all the salons I've worked in, guest spotted or visited (which I do everywhere I go) are much more common than hand filers. Regardless of your personal technique, that is a fact. Filing techniques in Canada have absolutely nothing to do with the OP so not really sure why you're harping about this?

Latest posts

Back