Nail File Hygiene

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurlyQs

Reaction score
I recently completed my training with Bio Sculpture (which was excellent!) and found out that the Ministry of Health (Canada) advises that emery boards cannot be adequately sanitised and therefore may not be reused. I believe this is a new regulation and was not covered in other training. I know of many salons that store sets for each client, but if they can't be 'adequately sanitized' isn't it dangerous to to store and reuse items even on the same person? I realize regulations differ by country. I am wondering what practices other geeks have. Having learned this I am planning to give each client their file and buffing block to keep. I really like the Calgel Sponge Boards but they are too expensive to provide one for each client at $2.75 Cdn each. I am still working on family and friends and have to time to get this sorted out. Any ideas, suggestions? Curious how others handle this.

Thanks! Alex

As long as the client does not have infected nails of any sort, the files would be sanitized and re used on them would be ok. If the client has any type of infection, fungus, greenies..then the file should be thrown away after each use in my opinion.

I would tack the cost of the files on to the clients service. Explain to them that it is a "safety" factor that is needed in order to keep them safe.

When you say that it is for their own safety, they won't complain.

Did you find this out by hearsay or did you get it direct from the Ministry? The one thing I find in this industry is people love to spread rumours and like Chinese whispers they get muddled along the way. I am sure if this is state policy then you would have been taught it on the course, especially as if you have to use more files it means more revenue for them!!

And I've not heard any of the other Candian geeks mention this, although I've not been around for a couple of months and things do change.

Did you find this out by hearsay or did you get it direct from the Ministry? The one thing I find in this industry is people love to spread rumours and like Chinese whispers they get muddled along the way. I am sure if this is state policy then you would have been taught it on the course, especially as if you have to use more files it means more revenue for them!!

And I've not heard any of the other Candian geeks mention this, although I've not been around for a couple of months and things do change.

Thx Sassy, It's right in my Bio Sculpture training manual. I feel they are a credible source and the sale of files was not pushed at all. From the sounds of it, it is a relatively new guideline. They did say that storing for a specific client would be ok but I found it a bit confusing since they also say files cannot be properly sanitised in the first place. But like Jayne said if there is no sign of disease, it should be fine. Thanks everyone for helping me sort this out!

One other note - the Ministry of Health guidelines differ by province. Maybe that's why other Canadians haven't heard the same.:)

Latest posts

Back