Nail file maintenance and recommendations?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Altered_ego

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a nail technician in training and wanting to cover certain things before I divulge into doing them on other people.

My main question is about nail files and their sanitisation, I have been to a salon where they spritz the nail file with disinfectant before use. Presumably between clients. Is this okay to do when the nail file is still in good condition?

Also any good recommendations for nail files, maybe which ones you use?

Thank you x

Abrasives should be washed in hot soapy water then sprayed with a hard surface/Abrasive sanitising product - these are the current guidelines since the covid-19 pandemic took hold.

Many of us were already doing this as it's part of good training.

Personally I've always had a set of abrasives for each client that are cleaned, sanitised and kept with their record card until next appointment.

I buy mine from Sweet Squared who are the UK authorised distributor of CND.

Other good brands are CJP, Naio Nails, and NSI.

Brilliant, thank you! As much as I was researching the more confused I got.

I think your method is the most suitable for myself too, it is what I have been considering and found a lovely little company who does record cards.

Thank you for the suggestions, I shall have a look :) x

Hi I’ve always kept clients files etc cleaned sanitised and in a ziplock bag clearly labelled for each client. I charge a small initial fee for this and replace as and when needed. It’s really important and always has been to maintain excellent hygiene practices also it reassures the client. Clients like having their own files it shows that you are professional and that you are looking after them. Explain this to clients as well before you start your treatment and I always remove the files from the bag in front of the client prior to treatment, most clients have not experienced this before and it’s a nice touch. Ps make sure files have dried thoroughly before placing in the bag to store and I always re sanitise prior to use some may think that’s overkill but you can never be too clean 😂

In the US, I’ve practiced in 3 states, Texas, New Mexico and Indiana. All 3 have regulations regarding sanitation of course. But, all require that files be one-time use. Makes it expensive to ditch your files after each service. Or you can choose to deal with flimsy small unpadded files. And so much extra into the land fill.

In New Mexico State, we had to discontinue using individual containers of implements or files for clients, too. They said it would be too easy to mix up names or the container could grow mold. We kept ours in plastic pencil boxes, so after clearing out, we donated to schools.

Hi just in reply to above comment mould would only grow on stored files if you don’t clean and dry them properly before and after each use and mixing up clients files if they are clearly labelled this wouldn’t be a problem. I work alone and I’m very organised clean and tidy so it’s not a problem for me maybe in a larger salon I can see this might not work. I think use your common sense do a good job and have good working practises and you’ll be fine. i think the world we live in needs us to stop throwing away perfectly good files. Pass them onto the client for them to use if you want to buy new files every time then the price would reflect this cost. But it sounds like we are all trying to do our bit for the environment and that’s the main thing.

Another reason they gave was that people might use the implements on their pets and bring them back for you to use on them.

Latest posts

Back