nail files

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emmalouisa

Reaction score
hi , i must sound dumb im starting my vtct in nails soon at the mo i just doin friends and i done a one day course, wat is the best grit to use for naturel nails
also ther r so many makes does it matter?? ive seen jessica do ones for all different nail types?? are creative ones good also do you give them to your client after??
so many questions sorry
thanxs xx

240 grit or higher for natural nails.

Personally I don't think it matters which make as they are all the same grit but that just might be me!

Some files you can't sanitise so you either have to throw them away or give them to your client. But I scrub mine with antibac soap, leave to dry then spray with Sterilising Spray from Alida (although it is not actually possible to sterilise impliments in this way?!)

Hope this helps

i have to agree with pinkies...never use less then a 240 on natural nails.

Pinkies! said:
240 grit or higher for natural nails.

Personally I don't think it matters which make as they are all the same grit but that just might be me!

Some files you can't sanitise so you either have to throw them away or give them to your client. But I scrub mine with antibac soap, leave to dry then spray with Sterilising Spray from Alida (although it is not actually possible to sterilise impliments in this way?!)

Hope this helps

I have used Stars 240 grit available from Sallies and Dennis Williams wholesalers, but you will need to show them your certificate before you can purchase, or if you have started your course then you can normally purchase as a student but only with your college id...These files are quite cheap compared to other files, which might be best as you are just starting out...atb Louise

Fab Freak said:
I have used Stars 240 grit available from Sallies and Dennis Williams wholesalers, but you will need to show them your certificate before you can purchase, or if you have started your course then you can normally purchase as a student but only with your college id...These files are quite cheap compared to other files, which might be best as you are just starting out...atb Louise

Well I am interested to hear this bit of info as the Sallies in my area will sell to anyone and their dog anything they wish to purchase. If what you say is true, then it certrainly is a huge turn around from the previous policy of these wholesale outlets.

Back to the subject in hand .... abrasives vary very much in quality and durability and when you are able, it is a good policy to spend that little bit more for washable, sanitizable, and long lasting abrasives.

Apart from anything else, it makes your JOB so much easier and faster when you use good quality tools. I HATE fileing, so I use the best quality available so I only need to do as little of it as possible.

Cheap quality abrasives, bend and the paper gets folds in it, you can't clean them, might as well thow away your money.

hi i agree with geeg , i trained with creative and used their files but at some point i was really skint, so ordered some cheap ones from another company and they didnt prform nowhere near aswell as the creative ones, so i was back to them pretty much straight away ,try and buy the best you can afford, hope this helps

geeg said:
Well I am interested to hear this bit of info as the Sallies in my area will sell to anyone and their dog anything they wish to purchase. If what you say is true, then it certrainly is a huge turn around from the previous policy of these wholesale outlets.

Back to the subject in hand .... abrasives vary very much in quality and durability and when you are able, it is a good policy to spend that little bit more for washable, sanitizable, and long lasting abrasives.

Apart from anything else, it makes your JOB so much easier and faster when you use good quality tools. I HATE fileing, so I use the best quality available so I only need to do as little of it as possible.

Cheap quality abrasives, bend and the paper gets folds in it, you can't clean them, might as well thow away your money.
If you use the Sally's in Bournemouth you have to show your Cert, same goes for Capital.

Vicky

Re the Sallys issue, my local Sallys allows you to buy anything, qualified or not, but at a slightly higher price than if you were qualified. When you have your certs you can buy at the discounted rate which is the last few numbers in the barcode. If you are a student, speak to them and they will give you a special temporary card.

Hope this helps!

geeg said:

Yes to answer you question both the Wakefield branch of Dennis Williams and the Sallies in Huddersfield and Leeds asked me to prove I had been trained dont know about the rest of the county!

Plus i went in the other to Huddersfield and had forgotten my card so couldn't purchase. Shame they dont apply this to all stores eh? any moving on ...I personally recommended these files as they have served me well and sadly the 240 grit from Star isn't washable but is more than happy being sprayed with a sanitiser on a regular basis -and i do find them good to use on the natural nail - and a is less costly than others which is great when you are starting out (ie strapped for cash) :rolleyes: No I use both creative and star depending on the job in hand....but i still think star files are more than good enough to perform a manicure service plus I felt happy to leave the client with the file if necessary as they are not expensive...which when I was starting out was really appreciated by new clients...

Hi

Yep same where i live Sally's will sell to anyone even aliens ;) but dennis williams insist on id and proof of trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back