SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tips or forms?

• Total voters

Sam-x

Reaction score
Hii

Iv been doing nails for years (really would like to go to a refresher course tbh)

Iv never had confidence in doing other people’s nails, always felt like to took too long or they just looked awful. So I gave up doing extensions and only ever did gel overlaps or polish

In the last 6 months Iv now been trying back into doing my own extensions but Iv only tried it with nail forms - they’ve been working grand and starting to find confidence of maybe trying on clients again. Don’t have the patience/skills for nail tips, Iv tried many different way to speed up the prepartion process but has just put me off doing ever again

My question is, is there any nail techs that do nail forms only no matter the type of nail - bitten or long etc

Do they last as well as using tips for extensions? Can they be more efficient and faster service?

GEL ONLY - ALLERGIC TO ACRYLIC

Many thanks x

A correctly structured nail will be as strong in either product. The strength is in the correct placement of the stress apex and spine not the tip.

I will always use forms unless the client really really doesn't want me too!! Once you get quick at customising the form and applying them you won't want to go back!!! I find they are just as strong, if not stronger because the product is fully adhered to the nail without the 'bridge' of a tip - not sure if there is any factual basis for that though?? If anyone knows? Xx

not sure if there is any factual basis for that though?? If anyone knows? Xx

Nope, there is no strength or weakness in the 'tip' - the strength is in the correctly structured overlay product - no matter if Gel, L&P, Gel Hybrid

Tips should be trimmed and blended to ensure it fits correctly and exposes as much of the natural nail as possible to aid the bonding. Overlay products actually bond better to tips than natural nail.

Nope, there is no strength or weakness in the 'tip' - the strength is in the correctly structured overlay product - no matter if Gel, L&P, Gel Hybrid

Tips should be trimmed and blended to ensure it fits correctly and exposes as much of the natural nail as possible to aid the bonding. Overlay products actually bond better to tips than natural nail.
The only thing I seem to remember is that the adhesive can break down with moisture faster than acrylic, so I was told to apply tips with acrylic in my training....(this was over 10 years ago and I didn't continue to do it because it took way to long!!) Is that true, have you heard that?? I did some extra training a little while ago and I didn't ask cause I felt stupid and it wasn't even brought up to be honest, adhesive was just used!!

It's hard to convince people that sculpts are just as good as tips though but thankfully most of my clients are happy with forms after I've done them and I'm glad because I hate applying tips haha! Xx

The only thing I seem to remember is that the adhesive can break down with moisture faster than acrylic, so I was told to apply tips with acrylic in my training....(this was over 10 years ago and I didn't continue to do it because it took way to long!!) Is that true, have you heard that?? I did some extra training a little while ago and I didn't ask cause I felt stupid and it wasn't even brought up to be honest, adhesive was just used!!

It's hard to convince people that sculpts are just as good as tips though but thankfully most of my clients are happy with forms after I've done them and I'm glad because I hate applying tips haha! Xx

Maybe older formula adhesives, but it's not going to breakdown in the short period of time before the tips grow out anyway. Applying with acrylic is a really old method...so time consuming, and clumpy

Maybe older formula adhesives, but it's not going to breakdown in the short period of time before the tips grow out anyway. Applying with acrylic is a really old method...so time consuming, and clumpy
That's exactly what I thought, I'm seeing clients every 2.5/3 weeks and gems stay on perfectly these days with a bit of gripper glue!! Glad I'm not still sitting there holding tips down waiting for acrylic to set!

I do love learning the ins and outs of stuff! Thanks for reply xx

Latest posts

Back