Nail Fungus or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calb84

Reaction score
Hi ladies and gents, I was wondering something- I have a client who has come in for me to do her nails. She is an older lady who has yellowing nails and in particular the thumb nails are very thick and yellow. She also smokes. I have read that older peoples nails can become coarse and thicker with age, is this true (and yellow). Therefore I cannot determine whether she has a contagious nail fungus or she has just aged nails?? HELP :|

Hi ladies and gents, I was wondering something- I have a client who has come in for me to do her nails. She is an older lady who has yellowing nails and in particular the thumb nails are very thick and yellow. She also smokes. I have read that older peoples nails can become coarse and thicker with age, is this true (and yellow). Therefore I cannot determine whether she has a contagious nail fungus or she has just aged nails?? HELP :|

If you suspect a fungus then your client must be advised to see a dermatologist, but the fact is that a fungus on fingernails is a rare thing as our hands normally do not provide the right habitat for the fungus to reproduce and thrive. Health issues can play a part but it is uncommon.

If a common fungus were present beneath any of your client's nails, then typically they would show signs of onycholysis, be 'damp' and almost sticky looking beneath the nails and have a smell; sometimes they look crumbly beneath the nails. In any case, they don't just normally look discoloured but 'normal' if you see what I mean.

Aged nails can can thicken, develop ridges and generally not look clean and bright as they become stained. But as I say, if in doubt then get her to consult a derm.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back